Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, sorry if this is in the wrong place since I haven't actually applied to Uni yet, wasn't sure where to post it though!
    Basically at the moment I'm looking for another route into Uni after leaving Sixth Form last year, having spent 3 years of my life not getting work done, which left me with DEU grades - totally my fault! I'm really hoping that having taken a year out, I'll be a little less lazy getting back to studying :x
    The two options it looks like I've got are:
    1. Retaking my A levels this year and try to get a clearing course, which means I'd need to pay a fee for the exams and, I guess, hire tutors for the subjects I'm taking
    2. Apply for an Access to HE course this September, and then apply to Uni next year (which would have to be as a Mature Student I guess, since I'd be 21 by the time I joined the course)
    From the research I've done so far, it looks like the first option is crazy expensive - I'm not sure how much it costs to book a full A level retake (as in both the AS and A2 modules), AQA quotes about £85, but I'm guessing different boards have different prices, and there are probably other fees on top of that - private tutors are also expensive as hell, most of them ask for around £20 an hour!
    Taking an Access Course definitely isn't going to be cheap, since they apparently only provide a full course discount if you don't already have some A level qualifications - for the course I'd need to take, it'll apparently cost about £1500, but I can pay that in installments, so it shouldn't be too painful.Really, I need to do the maths here and try to work out which is likely going to be the most expensive (almost definitely A level retakes!) - I'm just wondering if anyone had any personal experience of taking either of these options, or any suggestions on what you think would be the better choice?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like you're cut out for university tbh OP, it's not for everyone and I'd recommend getting a trade and making some money.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to go to university then an access course might be best. If you can't find the effort to do that then uni probs isnt best for you! good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heineken)
    It doesn't sound like you're cut out for university tbh OP, it's not for everyone and I'd recommend getting a trade and making some money.
    And how on earth did you work that out genius?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Genius)
    OP writes of three years wasted/not working/achieving low grades, appears to be more into the idea of university than the reality of working whilst studying at university.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for giving your honest opinion, appreciate it - Evil Genius' comment seems a little evil since you were just trying to make the point to me!
    I think you could easily be right - maybe the reality of working towards/at University isn't something I'm totally in touch with. However naive it is though, I'd like to believe I'm capable of getting there. I did achieve terrible results at A level, but did pretty well in my GCSE exams, and the few times I really put in the effort at Sixth Form, I mostly got decent results - I'm not trying to paint myself as some underachieving genius here, but I'd like to think most of the problem was down to motivation, as well as bad exam technique (I didn't actually reach the end of any of the written papers in my AS or A2 exams :/).
    I've taken a year off and spent some time in a job which I think has improved my work ethic a little, and put together with the fact that so far this year's overall been depressing as hell, I'm hoping that I'll have the motivation to get the work done this time whichever option I choose!
    If not, I'll have wasted £1500+, and by the end of it hopefully realised you were right :P
    Thanks for the advice by the way Jayvp, an Access Course is seeming like my best choice - I was hoping retakes might be an option, but it's looking less and less likely the more research I do :/

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered The Open University? Sounds like it could perhaps be better for you. www.open.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel flustered, university can be for anyone, it's a different ball game to a levels. My friend got EEE, did a foundation year and is now doing biomedical science (Bsc) and just got a 1st in his module. In your case an access course seems like the best route, I'm sure there would be a financial advisor that could help you with the costing. Good luck with however you go about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would continue working for a while and earn some money. Then take a year out and go traveling. Do something different with your life and release all stress related to education. Then come back fresh and enroll into a public college, the one where anyone can enroll into whether you're 16 or 70.
    I know things can go majorly wrong during A Levels and someone who was once a great student in high school goes off the rails in college. It happens. But if you think you are capable then do it as a mature student. I know someone who came back after several years out of education and ended up in Cambridge. There is plenty of time to still get it right.

Taking some time out can help you reevaluate your life and where you want to be heading. You might end up not even wanting to go to university. If you do however you can restart your A Level journey with a fresh slate. I was in class with so many 20 somethings and they have all now gone to uni, it really isn't too late.

Forget the resits though. Just start from scratch and get government funding. Starting fresh will give you the motivation to kick on and aim for the highest grades. Just make sure you don't mess it up the next time.

And to finish off, to give you some extra hope that it can be achieved, I failed my A Levels the first time. Redone them and got an offer from a great university and interviews in a few others (think top RG uni's). Do what makes you happy. You have another 60 odd years left to live with the decisions you are going to make now. And don't settle for below your standard.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Genius)
    ... lol ...
    Name:  H2.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  11.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    ... lol ...
    Name:  H2.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  11.9 KB
    Hello.

ReputationRep:
    I'm new here but I'd just like to say don't ever let anybody tell you that "you're not cut out" for anything. Some people are late bloomers, unsure of what they want to do until very late (like me.) Either way you do what you feel is best for you in the long run.

With regards to your question, I would advise you to do an Access Course. There are a few routes to financing an Access Course, but if push comes to shove you can always sign on at your local job center for a few months while you find yourself a job. As a job seeker some colleges will give you a heavily discounted rate to enrol on an Access Course and during this time you can find yourself some work and stabilise.

There's never a "right" time to apply for uni although MANY people will tell you this is the case. Granted, many top firms will be looking for fresh young talent and if you are looking to use your qualifications to get into a competitive industry then the sooner the better. However, in your case I feel like you should only apply when you feel that you are ready to commit fully to achieving the best result you can while studying something you truly care about. Ultimately it will be another 3 years of your life, except it will cost you dearly if you fail in both time and money. Make sure you really think about what it is you want to do going forwards and all the best.

(written at 3am so forgive the sloppy grammar!)

ReputationRep:
    I did an access course in 13/14 and while its intense work load wise, I believe a lot of people, with the right amount of effort could could come out with Distinctions. I got two D'a and a Pass, and I'm running abit like a headless chicken trying to get UCA to look at a late application. Eek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Pinkman)
    Hey people, sorry if this is in the wrong place since I haven't actually applied to Uni yet, wasn't sure where to post it though!
    Basically at the moment I'm looking for another route into Uni after leaving Sixth Form last year, having spent 3 years of my life not getting work done, which left me with DEU grades - totally my fault! I'm really hoping that having taken a year out, I'll be a little less lazy getting back to studying :x
    The two options it looks like I've got are:
    1. Retaking my A levels this year and try to get a clearing course, which means I'd need to pay a fee for the exams and, I guess, hire tutors for the subjects I'm taking
    2. Apply for an Access to HE course this September, and then apply to Uni next year (which would have to be as a Mature Student I guess, since I'd be 21 by the time I joined the course)
    From the research I've done so far, it looks like the first option is crazy expensive - I'm not sure how much it costs to book a full A level retake (as in both the AS and A2 modules), AQA quotes about £85, but I'm guessing different boards have different prices, and there are probably other fees on top of that - private tutors are also expensive as hell, most of them ask for around £20 an hour!
    Taking an Access Course definitely isn't going to be cheap, since they apparently only provide a full course discount if you don't already have some A level qualifications - for the course I'd need to take, it'll apparently cost about £1500, but I can pay that in installments, so it shouldn't be too painful.Really, I need to do the maths here and try to work out which is likely going to be the most expensive (almost definitely A level retakes!) - I'm just wondering if anyone had any personal experience of taking either of these options, or any suggestions on what you think would be the better choice?
    Thanks
    You could do an access to higher education at a summer school (I know Solent do one) and you'll probably get accepted on to a course after that particularly if you apply early you could also go to a mother collage and re-enrol for a-levels there.

Personally I'd do the Access course but thats just me.

ReputationRep:
    Crazy late with this, just wanted to say though - thanks to everyone for all the advice, it was a massive help
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Pinkman)
    Crazy late with this, just wanted to say though - thanks to everyone for all the advice, it was a massive help
    What did you do?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.