Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

vet med studying abroad... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    is there any scholarship/grants etc available to study vet med abroad? ie USA/Australia etc?? I know a lot of our uni's offer grants/scholarships to foreign students so do they return the favour and offer them to us?

Thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisx)
    is there any scholarship/grants etc available to study vet med abroad? ie USA/Australia etc?? I know a lot of our uni's offer grants/scholarships to foreign students so do they return the favour and offer them to us?

Thanks xxx
    I think that if you contact the universities that you are interested in, they do offer a number of limited scholarships - not necessarily specific to veterinary medicine though. I know of a few people that have studied at Melbourne and Murdoch universities in Australia and recently there has been an increase in people going 'down under' to study for Veterinary Medicine. However, I think that tuition fees are generally around £9000 p/a which is probably in line with a private school here. That dosent include accommodation fees and general living expenses, but if vet med is what you want to do then it may be an option.
    With regards to the USA Ive never heard of anyone going there for veterinary medicine. I dont know whether the system is the same as for medicine where you have to go to uni in America to get a degree in something like Biochem first and then medicine is your second degree. I know that Cornell have a veterinary medicine department that it is possible to spend a some time at on a special research programme. As you can imagine though, competition is very tough to get into this very well regarded establishment. Once again, you would need to contact them for further details or check out their websites.
    PS Hope things are going well with you! I had my last A Level exam on friday!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh yay! I bet your dead pleased they're over now, hope you feel happy with how they went.

Thanks for the info! I'll "google" the Oz vet schools and other English speaking ones also (don't fancy studying it in French ) Although I feel I may need to sell my soul to the devil to have a remote chance of affording it! Lol, if that what it takes to get in, thats what it takes

Financially UK vet schools are my first option but one always needs a back up plan, one a little more respectable than my current plan of marrying a livestock farmer or vet should I not get into vet med myself.

*fingers crossed* for you for your results day, Lis xxx

ReputationRep:
    Nothing for melbourne, xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    I think that if you contact the universities that you are interested in, they do offer a number of limited scholarships - not necessarily specific to veterinary medicine though. I know of a few people that have studied at Melbourne and Murdoch universities in Australia and recently there has been an increase in people going 'down under' to study for Veterinary Medicine. However, I think that tuition fees are generally around £9000 p/a which is probably in line with a private school here. That dosent include accommodation fees and general living expenses, but if vet med is what you want to do then it may be an option.
    With regards to the USA Ive never heard of anyone going there for veterinary medicine. I dont know whether the system is the same as for medicine where you have to go to uni in America to get a degree in something like Biochem first and then medicine is your second degree. I know that Cornell have a veterinary medicine department that it is possible to spend a some time at on a special research programme. As you can imagine though, competition is very tough to get into this very well regarded establishment. Once again, you would need to contact them for further details or check out their websites.
    PS Hope things are going well with you! I had my last A Level exam on friday!
    Vet school is similar to Medical, Law, and Dental school in the US. You need to have an undergraduate degree first before you can go.

If you want to study in the US, you would first need to have a uni degree already. Vet school in the US is very competitive. The two best Vet schools are the University of California at Davis (UC system) and Cornell (Ivy League). UC Davis vet program has an admission rate that is less than 1%. It's really tough.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.