Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Issues in Faith Schools Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As part of my Citizenship campaign for GCSE, a few others(AspiringLawyer01 ) and I are raising awareness of issues in faith schools around the country. Our main concern is religious indoctrination. Our research has found that, although religious education is required to be taught in schools, there is no set curriculum. This means that schools could theoretically neglect to teach any belief other than their own, or, at the very least, other beliefs could be somewhat glossed over. We think this could lead to intolerance and ignorance of other cultures and religions. For our campaign, we would like to hear about student's experiences with faith schools around the country. Has anyone got any experiences to share about their time at faith schools? What was the education on science like? What was taught in religious lessons? Were you encouraged to question the religion the school practiced? Any opinions from anyone, faith school or not? I would be grateful for any responses!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEuphoria)
    As part of my Citizenship campaign for GCSE, a few others(AspiringLawyer01 ) and I are raising awareness of issues in faith schools around the country. Our main concern is religious indoctrination. Our research has found that, although religious education is required to be taught in schools, there is no set curriculum. This means that schools could theoretically neglect to teach any belief other than their own, or, at the very least, other beliefs could be somewhat glossed over. We think this could lead to intolerance and ignorance of other cultures and religions. For our campaign, we would like to hear about student's experiences with faith schools around the country. Has anyone got any experiences to share about their time at faith schools? What was the education on science like? What was taught in religious lessons? Were you encouraged to question the religion the school practiced? Any opinions from anyone, faith school or not? I would be grateful for any responses!
    First/Middle school:

Science: Normal science. No religious teaching
    Religious lessons: A bit of everything
    Question school: Absolutely not. 2 hours of songs of praise a week. I got a letter home for bringing in "tarot" cards that I got of a kids magazine that predicted boyfriends. We were all given bibles and used them regularly.
    Opinion: I would have preferred to go to a non faith school.

That said my high school (grew up in Sussex. We have First, Middle, High no primary/secondary/juniors etc) was just as bad and it was a regular school. Our RE teacher would teach us like... this is what Jews believe.... BUT IT IS WRONG. He was a devout Christian and I feel very strongly that if you're religious and teaching RE you should keep your personal opinions out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I loved being in a faith school. I guess I'm in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a church primary school. It was a bit annoying because I'm not religious and we had to go to church once a week. But they did teach lessons normally and in religious education we learnt about all the religions. I didn't feel like I was being indoctrinated.

I also don't think that we should abolish faith school. It's good that parents have the choice of where to send their child and if they want their child to be religious then there's is no problem with that. After all in society we trust parents to raise their children adequately.

ReputationRep:
    *government* (funded by taxation) faith schools are an absolute disgrace. it makes me revolted even knowing that we still by law have state sponsored education facilities where religious indoctrination is on the formal agenda in 2016. america stopped this in *1789!* even though they're religious af in private
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEuphoria)
    For our campaign, we would like to hear about student's experiences with faith schools around the country. Has anyone got any experiences to share about their time at faith schools? What was the education on science like? What was taught in religious lessons? Were you encouraged to question the religion the school practiced? Any opinions from anyone, faith school or not? I would be grateful for any responses!
    I attended Roman Catholic primary and secondary schools. I really enjoyed my time in both schools and never felt like religion was being shoved down my throat.

My primary school prioritised taking local Catholic pupils but there were a lot of people of different denominations and different faiths in the school. Despite this it was pretty Catholic, in that there was lots of hymn-singing, attending Mass at school and saying prayers at the start and end of the day. My secondary school was less diverse but was quite laidback in most aspects, even though it was a convent school with a nun as the headteacher. She was a very cool, chilled-out nun who recognised that over 90% of the school were not practising Catholics (despite being Roman Catholic on paper), so she didn't make it a huge deal. I had a lot of respect for her for that

My science lessons were as normal as they would have been in a non-faith school. We were taught evolution from Year 7 onwards. When we told our science teacher that their information was conflicting with what we were being taught in RE (i.e. that God created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th), the science teacher just said "we're the ones teaching you the right thing". Then in Year 8, the RE teachers turned round and were like "oh what we taught you last year wasn't true, it's just a story to illustrate that God created the world"

Our RE lessons very much depended on the teacher. In Year 9 we learnt a tiny bit about other religions but not very much at all. It was very much a Roman Catholic-centred syllabus. This was especially true by the time GCSE RE came around (which was mandatory in my school, not optional): for my year group, we did a GCSE syllabus that was entirely about Christianity, but we were taught mostly about Catholicism and not much about other denominations. My RE teacher for GCSE was completely bat****-crazy Catholic and so she'd treat all other denominations as if they were complete heretics :eek: For my sister's year group (the year below us), they changed syllabus so that it was a solely Catholic GCSE syllabus

Only one RE teacher really permitted questioning Church teaching and doctrine (like I said earlier, what RE lessons were like really depended on who was teaching you). I did talk to a nice friendly non-crazy RE teacher about how the school was trying to indoctrinate us, and she denied it

I think an important thing that many people forget when they wave words like "indocrination" about is that just because you are being taught certain things in a certain way, does NOT mean you necessarily just swallow that whole and believe it. So even though some RE teachers were clearly bonkers and were trying to indoctrinate us, none of us believed a word they said :nah:

Having attended faith schools myself, I do not think we need to shut down/get rid of faith schools BUT I do think that there should be some kinda OFSTED-like offshoot/body that closely monitors what is taught in science, RE and PSHCE lessons in ALL faith schools (I mention PSHCE coz we were not really taught about contraceptive options in my school) :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Faith schools should be disallowed from being faith schools. They should conform to normality, or be forcibly taken over and turned into normal state comprehensives. Even if the parents are religious and are against it (their opinions should be ignored). Faith has no place in education, other than in RE lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Christian faith schools should be banned because Christianity always leads to anti-semitic genocides. Muslim and Jewish schools can stay open and should get more funding. I don't know if there are Sikh schools but if there are they should be closed down too.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it should be compulsory for all schools, regardless of faith, to teach all 6 major religions- Christianity (and within that at least Protestantism & Catholicism) Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Sikhism and Hinduism. I think it should also be compulsory for schools to teach proper sex ed, including contraception and parents shouldn't be allowed to opt their children out of either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.