Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 18 but parents are still too strict?NEED ADVICE Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guysss,
    I turned 18 in december but my parents are still ridiculously strict..if anythings, theyre worse. Recently I thought it was a good idea to come clean to my parents that I have a boyfriend (who is of another race) to seem more "mature". Now recently, my dad has been threatening to hurt me physically due to me having anxiety attacks because of HIM saying all of these deluded things saying how i skip college/lessons to see my boyrfriend etc, I'm no longer allowed to hang out with friends in and out of college unless i split up with him, and I'm not allowed to do coursework after college (despite me having exams coming up and they are aware of me being unable to concentrate in the house due to the constant tension and anxiety I have). Literally, they are more concerned with the fact that I'm dating a guy they don't like than the fact my anxiety has worsened and I cant concentrate at home.

Any advice please? u_u (sorry if this was long)

ReputationRep:
    Move out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    Move out?
    Doubt she would have the money to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecaramelcat)
    Hey guysss,
    I turned 18 in december but my parents are still ridiculously strict..if anythings, theyre worse. Recently I thought it was a good idea to come clean to my parents that I have a boyfriend (who is of another race) to seem more "mature". Now recently, my dad has been threatening to hurt me physically due to me having anxiety attacks because of HIM saying all of these deluded things saying how i skip college/lessons to see my boyrfriend etc, I'm no longer allowed to hang out with friends in and out of college unless i split up with him, and I'm not allowed to do coursework after college (despite me having exams coming up and they are aware of me being unable to concentrate in the house due to the constant tension and anxiety I have). Literally, they are more concerned with the fact that I'm dating a guy they don't like than the fact my anxiety has worsened and I cant concentrate at home.

Are you going uni? If so move into halls. You could lie and say you broke up with him to make them back off and see him in secret.

ReputationRep:
    daym sounds like a tricky situation! tell your dad you've broken up if it will get him off your back and keep your relationship low-key
    I'm sure your bf will understand if you gotta distance yourself more
    and continue with your work til you can get out to uni and pursue your relationship
    where's your mum in this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    Doubt she would have the money to do that.
    Yup, I'm unemployed. But I've been actively seeking work but luck isnt on my side ;_;

ReputationRep:
    Are you going uni? If so move into halls. You could lie and say you broke up with him to make them back off and see him in secret.
    I was initially going to but my parents talked me out of it, then shut down the idead completely and said i cant go. Im going to another college to study a higher diploma

ReputationRep:
    I was initially going to but my parents talked me out of it, then shut down the idead completely and said i cant go. Im going to another college to study a higher diploma
    thats the thing though, i wanted to be up front since dating in secret at this age is a bit childish now, right? but seems like ive gotta consider it again...

Why cant you go uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    daym sounds like a tricky situation! tell your dad you've broken up if it will get him off your back and keep your relationship low-key
    I'm sure your bf will understand if you gotta distance yourself more
    and continue with your work til you can get out to uni and pursue your relationship
    where's your mum in this?
    I thought this opening up thing would bring some justice but its clearly made things worse so i'll have to do that...u_u
    My mum wants me to end it as well. she pretty much agrees with everything dad says

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm unemployed. But I've been actively seeking work but luck isnt on my side ;_;
    Try retail like Primark maybe they usually have high staff turnover. Save as much as you can while working so you won't be financially dependent on them then leave.

ReputationRep:
    thats the thing though, i wanted to be up front since dating in secret at this age is a bit childish now, right? but seems like ive gotta consider it again...
    Not as childish as the way your father is acting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Not as childish as the way your father is acting
    literally, omg

ReputationRep:
    I thought this opening up thing would bring some justice but its clearly made things worse so i'll have to do that...u_u
    My mum wants me to end it as well. she pretty much agrees with everything dad says
    yeah you gotta do it if you wanna stay sane and get your work done!
    awhh it's okay don't worry it's not the end forever and your bae will understand
    take up a part time job - Aldi are really good with money i heard :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why cant you go uni?
    i was a bit slow on making a decision. I also have a few health issues,however my doctor has made suggestions on how to manage it. Its mainly my parents not being open to opportunity

ReputationRep:
    literally, omg
    Sorry about your situation :/ I wish I could give you advice, but I haven't experienced this.

Z33 and chikane seem to be on to something, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    yeah you gotta do it if you wanna stay sane and get your work done!
    awhh it's okay don't worry it's not the end forever and your bae will understand
    take up a part time job - Aldi are really good with money i heard :3
    See we actually stayed lowkey all through the first year, and recently i told my parents. yeah luckily he understands :') haha, i was applying for aldi last night!

Hey guysss,

you're gonna hate me, but im in the same boat and ive come to a realisation that you're just gonna wait till youre older to do what you want

ReputationRep:
    You could lie and say you broke up with him to make them back off and see him in secret.
    That can backfire badly (talking from experience)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Sorry about your situation :/ I wish I could give you advice, but I haven't experienced this.

Z33 and chikane seem to be on to something, though
    its ok, but thank you anyways ^_^

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.