Turn on thread page Beta
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    hey guys...
    im doing the questions in the genetics book and im kinda dont know how to do few of them ..
    Describe the harmful effects of inbreeding?
    (is this just the inbreeding depression?) :confused:
    I don't do OCR but from my understanding Interbreeding is harmful for two reasons.

1)It reduces that variation of genes meaning that an environmental event will be more likely to wipe all of them outs

2) It can increase the chances of having two dangerous recessive alles if the parents are related therefor increasing the chance of a genectic defect.

ReputationRep:
    i was doing that question this morning...the hamrful effects of inbreeding include inbreeding depression - loss of hybrid vigour, growth and fertility, due to accumulation of deleterious alleles, homozygous and most loci. this leads to loss of alleles and therefore genetic diversity.

in response to your post above, a gene bank is needed to preserve genetic diversity and reduce genetic erosion, by maintaining background genes, which could be needed for selective breeding purposes as trends change, and also to cope with changes in the future, for example new diseases, climate change etc.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.