Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I cant believe mps were actually discussing about banning trump today. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable.

Trump is nothing more than an indiot. But you shouldn't be able to ban people from a county for being an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of ridiculous did they have nothing more important to discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harinimnida)
    It's kind of ridiculous did they have nothing more important to discuss
    They do have more important things to discuss, but there was a parliament petition on it and they are obliged to discuss any point that gets more than 100,000 signatures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander7)
    They do have more important things to discuss, but there was a parliament petition on it and they are obliged to discuss any point that gets more than 100,000 signatures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    100,000 signatures isn't even a lot I could probably get that amount calling for banning anime in the United Kingdom.

Why waste their time lmao we don't elect a parliament to mess around they get paid enough for that already

ReputationRep:
    100,000 signatures isn't even a lot I could probably get that amount calling for banning anime in the United Kingdom.

Why waste their time lmao we don't elect a parliament to f**k around they get paid enough for that already

ReputationRep:

Why waste their time lmao we don't elect a parliament to f**k around they get paid enough for that already
    Well, they're following the law, really. There's an argument that e-petitions are a waste of time or the threshold's too low. But you're not going to win votes by proposing to abolish them or increase the number of signatures needed.

They can't pick and choose when to ignore a law.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me joining this conversation? I'm the House of Commons representative in The Student Room and I just wanted to clarify some misconceptions about e-petitions debates.

Petitions that reach 100,000 signatures on petition.parliament.uk are not guaranteed a debate in the House of Commons. The Petitions Committee takes the threshold of 100,000 signatures as a starting point when it considers which petitions should be debated. Sometimes the Committee might not put forward a petition for debate if it’s got over 100,000 signatures – for example, if the same subject has recently been debated or if a debate is going to happen soon or may sometimes decide to schedule debates for petitions under this threshold.

In deciding which petitions should be debated, the Petitions Committee takes into account how many people have signed the petition, the topicality of the issue raised, and whether the issue has recently been debated in Parliament. A decision to debate a petition is not an indication that the Petitions Committee supports it.

ReputationRep:

It had almost half a million when it was discussed...

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Cameron make a passing comment about Star Wars in Parliament a few weeks back? Just bants.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they HAD to once a certain number of signatures was reached.

That was why I really wished people didn't sign that bloody stupid one after the Paris attacks asking to close the borders until IS had been defeated. It was signed by people that clearly didn't know what a "closed border" was, would be laughed out of parliament and diminished the value of petitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeylooloo)
    x
    how?

ReputationRep:
    Mate that's not a bad shout, you setting it up or shall I?

ReputationRep:
    at least Mr T has a nice theme song:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Official House of Commons)
    Petitions that reach 100,000 signatures on petition.parliament.uk are not guaranteed a debate in the House of Commons. The Petitions Committee takes the threshold of 100,000 signatures as a starting point when it considers which petitions should be debated. Sometimes the Committee might not put forward a petition for debate if it’s got over 100,000 signatures – for example, if the same subject has recently been debated or if a debate is going to happen soon or may sometimes decide to schedule debates for petitions under this threshold.

In deciding which petitions should be debated, the Petitions Committee takes into account how many people have signed the petition, the topicality of the issue raised, and whether the issue has recently been debated in Parliament. A decision to debate a petition is not an indication that the Petitions Committee supports it.
    Firstly, thank you for taking the time to clear this up. I always thought 100, 000 signature automatically made it get debated.

The point I'd like to make however, in light of this, is that the Petitions Committee is an absolute joke if they actually made the decision to have this Trump thing debated. It actually makes everyone involved look even worse if that's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Firstly, thank you for taking the time to clear this up. I always thought 100, 000 signature automatically made it get debated.

The point I'd like to make however, in light of this, is that the Petitions Committee is an absolute joke if they actually made the decision to have this Trump thing debated. It actually makes everyone involved look even worse if that's possible.
    The Petitions Committee would have been criticised either way.

ReputationRep:
    He explicitly banned people of specific religions from his rallies. If Trump enters the UK, there will probably be riots.

ReputationRep:
    If not riots, then major disruptions from demonstrators and protestors.

ReputationRep:
    Besides, the debate was held because a petition obtained enough signatures. It's protocol to debate most petitions once they receive a certain number of signatures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's a Shame)
    He explicitly banned people of specific religions from his rallies. If
    Do you have a link?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.