Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE student [June] examination entries: Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Hows it going guys my names pewdi.............Anyway:
    I was just wondering when schools actually enter a student for a certain course?
    Does an exam fee have to be paid by the school to the exam board?
    if so when?
    I would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedarkness321)
    Hey Hows it going guys my names pewdi.............Anyway:
    I was just wondering when schools actually enter a student for a certain course?
    Does an exam fee have to be paid by the school to the exam board?
    if so when?
    I would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks.
    Yes the school has to pay a fee to the examiners to enter you for exams.
    Entries for uk GCSE exams to be taken in summer 2016 have to be done by 21/February.
    Entries may done after that date but the fee charged by the examiner increases.
    School exams offices will have an earlier internal deadline for teachers and students to make decisions on entries so they can get all of the admin done on time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Yes the school has to pay a fee to the examiners to enter you for exams.
    Entries for uk GCSE exams to be taken in summer 2016 have to be done by 21/February.
    Entries may done after that date but the fee charged by the examiner increases.
    School exams offices will have an earlier internal deadline for teachers and students to make decisions on entries so they can get all of the admin done on time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks.
    Would you say that the internal deadline is already met?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Would you say that the internal deadline is already met?
    It entirely depends on the school and what other jobs the Exams officer has to do Some schools will aim to have made their entries by Christmas so the EO can sort out mock exams at the start of this term, others will have set a deadline as late as the Friday before this half term (12 February).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    It entirely depends on the school and what other jobs the Exams officer has to do Some schools will aim to have made their entries by Christmas so the EO can sort out mock exams at the start of this term, others will have set a deadline as late as the Friday before this half term (12 February).
    Thanks for your help.
    Would you say it is currently too late to change GCSE subjects considering i have the ability to achieve an A* in my chosen subject by the end of this term?
    When teachers say you cannot change what do they really mean?
    what are they really afraid of if no internal or external deadline has been met for submitting applications?
    (Sorry for all the questions no-one else gives better answers!)
    Thanks Again.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help.
    Would you say it is currently too late to change GCSE subjects considering i have the ability to achieve an A* in my chosen subject by the end of this term?
    When teachers say you cannot change what do they really mean?
    what are they really afraid of if no internal or external deadline has been met for submitting applications?
    I don't know your circumstances but I can't see any school being prepared to spend money and effort entering you for a GCSE where you haven't been taught the subject - unless it is something like your home language which you have also learnt to read and write.

What is it that you suddenly want to be entered for and why are you only asking now?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know your circumstances but I can't see any school being prepared to spend money and effort entering you for a GCSE where you haven't been taught the subject - unless it is something like your home language which you have also learnt to read and write.

What is it that you suddenly want to be entered for and why are you only asking now?
    Hi Compost,
    I am currently in Year 10 and I take GCSEs in:

English language
    English literature
    Mathematics
    Core science
    Additional science
    Business Studies
    Statistics
    History
    Computing

When i first chose my subjects i was unsure of which career i wanted to pursue now i'm certain that i want to pursue a career in a science related field (probably medicine or the physical sciences).

And desperately want to change subjects from History to Triple Science as it is significantly better preparation for 'A'levels in Mathematics and The Sciences.

At my school those taking triple science take an extra 2 hours worth of science every week.

I will try to persuade my head of year next week before it really is too late.
    we're currently 18 weeks into our courses so i doubt ill be allowed to change
    But is there anything that I could do to show a teacher how much i really want to take the subject considering I can catch up over the half-term on everything I've missed?

I Would really appreciate some Advice.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Compost,
    I am currently in Year 10
    And desperately want to change subjects from History to Triple Science as it is significantly better preparation for 'A'levels in Mathematics and The Sciences.

At my school those taking triple science take an extra 2 hours worth of science every week.

I will try to persuade my head of year next week before it really is too late.
    we're currently 18 weeks into our courses so i doubt ill be allowed to change
    But is there anything that I could do to show a teacher how much i really want to take the subject considering I can catch up over the half-term on everything I've missed?
    Without understanding exactly how your school does this it is hard to say but we've had people who have joined the school from abroad at the start of Year 11 and successfully completed separate Sciences. Talk to your head of Year and the Science department and discuss what the options are and whether there's a half way option, e.g. you're allowed to start separate Sciences now but if you bomb in the Y10 exams/GCSE Science if you take it then then you have to drop back to Double Science.

ReputationRep:
    - we've had people who have joined the school from abroad at the start of Year 11 and successfully completed separate Sciences.
    - Talk to your head of Year and the Science department and discuss what the options are and whether there's a half way option, e.g. you're allowed to start separate Sciences now but if you bomb in the Y10 exams/GCSE Science if you take it then then you have to drop back to Double Science.
    Thanks Compost,
    I'm going to try and switch subjects tomorrow.
    When would you say the best time to go to a teacher would be?(When are they most open to questions?)

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question to the teacher is it effective to say:
    -Hi (sir/miss) would it be possible for me to change my subjects from (history) to (triple science)?

Which of these points would be more persuasive?:
    - I know it's late but I feel I would do much better in science than I will in history and i can assure you i will get better grades in the subject.(To the interests of the teachers)
    -I've bought the textbook and revision guides and will revise anything I've missed over the half term.
    -With the new "progress 8" measure i want to make sure my grades are at there highest standard.(to the interests of the school))
    -I want to take A-level science here at Southfields Academy and an extra GCSE will give me a large boost in my A level results. (play to the schools interests. Though this may not be exactly true. )

I know this post sounds "Too Extreme" but I really want to make sure this change can work to secure my GCSEs and A-levels.

Thanks for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.