Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to apply to cambridge to study music but my gcse grades were a lot lower than what I expected: 1A* 3A's 5B's is what I achieved . My AS grades were all above 90% UMS ( 4A's) and my predicted A2 grades are 2A* 2A's. Should I consider applying even with the low gcse grades?

ReputationRep:
    Those GCSE grades are likely to hold you back, buuut those >90% UMS grades are indicative of an increasing level of success. Also bearing in mind that music admissions are a bit unique compared to other subjects... Well, stranger things have happened than someone with your profile getting an offer.

Basically, your grade profile is very unusual, and I'm not sure how Cambridge would interpret that. It's certainly not impossible. Bear in mind that what's most important is that you have the Oxbridge spark - that you are keen, motivated and well-learned in music, able to think critically, analyse and interpret musical things under pressure in an interview. A high proportion of applicants are interviewed, and if you shine, chances are they'll give you an offer.

At the end of the day, it's only one of your choices, and I'd rather have a go than spend my life wondering 'what if?'. Equally, bear in mind that Cambridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all, blah blah blah. If you believe you are very talented at music, go for it, hopefully they'll agree... Although they are very low GCSEs, >90% is decent for a music applicant.

ReputationRep:
    Just apply bro. But as you're probably aware, it's passed the deadline so you'll have to apply for 2017 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieorr1998)
    I wanted to apply to cambridge to study music but my gcse grades were a lot lower than what I expected: 1A* 3A's 5B's is what I achieved . My AS grades were all above 90% UMS ( 4A's) and my predicted A2 grades are 2A* 2A's. Should I consider applying even with the low gcse grades?
    On contrary to a previous poster said, GCSE grades are not important for Cambridge, except for Medicine/Vet Med, as long as you have good AS grades.
    And if there's a clear upward trajectory from your GCSEs to A-levels, they'd take it as a positive sign, so you don't need to worry about it at all.

Please have a look at this OP for other very useful info on Cambridge application. Some of the links are broken now because they were for the previous application cycle and new data is not available on their site yet, but what's still there should be still valuable. (please read behind 'spoilers' too)
    It will definitely help you to tell between correct information and lots of myths/misconceptions flying around all over the place, including this forum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post60704483

One thing you really have to consider very carefully, though, is whether you like their course. Music at Cambridge is very theoretical/academic and it involves a fair amount of analysis/science/historical studies/etc. and it is not performance-centred as other music schools like typical conservatoire, especially in the first two years.
    So please make sure that's what you want. If you're more interested in performance-based courses, Cambridge is not a right place for you.
    Also, it's a very small department, so they don't take on many students per year.

Have you read these already?

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/music

http://www.mus.cam.ac.uk/

Also, while you're at it , please read this undergraduate application info on the university's website, including all the pages from the links, if you haven't done so yet.
    You'll get much more reliable info on Cambridge application there. And come back if you have any more specific question after reading those.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Follow vincrows good advise carefully, but also, I presume you are considering applying post A-level anyway? Cambridge is even more interested in your more recent results (AS+A2) than GCSE in that case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything said by Vincrows.
    Since you will have your A2 grades by the time you apply I would say if you get A*A*A then you will be a strong candidate for music (assuming you have other relevant stuff such relevant subjects and keyboard skills).

Performance ability is not especially important, but most applicants in practice do have Grade 8/diploma in at least one instrument/voice.

If you get A*AA you will be a weaker candidate for post qualification but even so music is one of the less competitive subjects so as long as you want the Cambridge type of course and you make other sensible choices I would still consider it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I agree with everything said by Vincrows.
    Since you will have your A2 grades by the time you apply I would say if you get A*A*A then you will be a strong candidate for music (assuming you have other relevant stuff such relevant subjects and keyboard skills).

Performance ability is not especially important, but most applicants in practice do have Grade 8/diploma in at least one instrument/voice.

If you get A*AA you will be a weaker candidate for post qualification but even so music is one of the less competitive subjects so as long as you want the Cambridge type of course and you make other sensible choices I would still consider it.
    Oh, yeah, I clearly forgotten about keyboard skills......
    Thanks for reminding it.

To OP
    You don't need Grade 8 standard keyboard skill for applying, but a decent level of ability in keyboard skill is essential because you'll need it for some of the elements of their course, like tonal/harmonic analysis/skill, composition, etc.

I personally don't know anyone who read music at Cambridge, but I know several who did NOT choose Cambridge because of the characteristic of their course.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for getting back to me you've really helped me! I have a diploma on trumpet and grade 8 piano and theory but I would rather learn the music in a theoretical way rather than performance which is why I looked at cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for getting back to me you've really helped me! I have a diploma on trumpet and grade 8 piano and theory but I would rather learn the music in a theoretical way rather than performance which is why I looked at cambridge
    Well, that's good then.
    Good luck with your application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.