The Student Room Group

I fall in love too easily with guys who show me a bit of kindness or affection

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alishba-rosex
how do you unfall out of love?

I don't know but I usually do it by cutting off all contact and finding my next obsession :s-smilie:
Original post by Andy98
And a knick knack paddywhack give the dog a bone:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't rep you
Original post by Goaded
I can't rep you

It's OK, rep means nothing to me anyway:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silverbolt
You dont think that falling in love at the drop of a hat is a bad thing? The OP herself admitted that she has low self esteem so latches on to anyone who shows her the slightest kindness.

No it is not normal to fall in love like that. It speaks of low esteem based desperation and your post screams naive at best.

I know it's not normal and I admitted to my low self esteem. However, I am here to start doing something about it....
Original post by Andy98
It's OK, rep means nothing to me anyway:tongue:

That's what everyone with a low rep-to-post ratio says to make themselves feel better. :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
That's what everyone with a low post-to-rep ratio says to make themselves feel better. :colone:

I have a high post to rep ratio, it's rep to post that's low:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ahelpinghand
Aww sweetie! I wanna start by saying you're brave for being honest about this and secondly reassure you that you are not alone! I am 20 and I too can relate to this post so much!

Truth be told, yes it probably does stem from unresolved psychological problems. But it can also stem from the fact you are not giving yourself any self love. So any form of affection, you're immediately taking it as a form of love, when in reality it could be someone just simply being polite.

I struggle with this too, and I've had to overcome a few obstacles as it got to the point I was obsessing over things in my head that were not being mutually given back to me. I do still do it to be honest.

You just gotta learn to love yourself. Learn to define yourself without the bed of another being there. Being alone isn't the same as being lonely. You need to discover passion, hobbies and interests and learn to be kind to yourself. Only then will you be able to Differentiate between someone who is attracted to you and someone doing their job or being kind etc. If you love yourself, you give yourself a foundation of what is expected and what will not be tolerated. You're not crazy. Just perhaps a little confused and hurt. But you'll get better. You'll find yourself. You'll fall in love with yourself too, and my god it will be beautiful.
If you ever need to chat about this, feel free to contact me. I mean, I get this entirely.

Lots of love, H. xx

Wow thanks so much I can't being to tell you how amazing this advice is! I'm actually saving this page to my favourites so I can keep coming back to look at it :smile: It sounds like you are amazingly strong and self-aware from going through this and doing the work to overcome it, which gives me hope and makes me realise maybe I'm not broken after all and that I've got more to give. Thanks again :hugs:xx
Original post by Andy98
I have a high post to rep ratio, it's rep to post that's low:tongue:

Ah, yes. That's what I meant. :innocent:
Original post by MissOvoxo
I'm exactly the same! My dad couldn't care less and I always need a guy there to fill that void. But nothing can! Have you tried re-connecting with your dad? I read somewhere recently that that's how a woman got over her problem and was able to then have healthy relationships. As much as I deny it I've come to the realisation that I'm broken. For you from what I've gathered, it's like because you didn't have a father figure there to look up to you fall for anyone. But like others have said, if you focus on yourself you really will see your worth and what you deserve and don't.

God Bless,
x

I know I feel broken too but I honestly don't think it always has to be this way. Not to say that it won't be hard to heal from this. For me I really feel it is at the centre of most my problems and I can't resolve anything else until I sort it out, with his help or not. Anyway don't give up I recommend you read the post above by Ahelpinghand it made me feel much better and think of the things I can do for myself.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yeah, I think if there's a little vulnerability there because you felt you didn't get enough from your dad, then that's a bit of a set up for you to easily be carried away when men show you attention. I suffer that way too. :sad: It's kind of easy to be swept away by shows of very trivial affection. :teehee:

I think it's just something you have to try to watch for and think to yourself, "am I really in love? Or is it just that old feeling again?" :smile:

Yes I think I need to try harder to rationalize tmy feelings as I start to experience them before I get overwhelmed and besotted.
Original post by Anonymous
I am exactly the same. I get attached way too quickly, i hate it but i can't help but do it.
I don't know my dad and from a very young age i was mistreated by my step-dad who claimed to be my dad. I don't know if this is related to why i get attached so easily but i have always thought that it was because i have never had affection from my own father.

Me too I hate it. I feel like I can't help myself but from now on I'm just going to try my dang hardest to fight the feelings. The thing is no man can fill that daddy-shaped void other than our actual dad or moreover ourselves when we accept, let go and decide to take care of ourselves. Easier said than done though....
Original post by _Bright Eyes
Lots of negative and bad advice here.

It's perfectly normal to fall in love as easily as you describe. In my opinion, people who do are wonderful people, and if more people were like you the world would be a better place. It's not a negative trait that must be fixed. Look at it as a good thing, you connect to people and empathise very easily, you feel close to people easily, therefore you're more likely to treat people well and be a generally better person. Fall in love every day with someone.

I know what you mean there are positives to being so open and wearing your heart on your sleeve, and really valuing and adoring people, but for the fact that most people are not like this it is not reciprocated and it leaves me vulnerable to sacrifice, heartbreak and abuse and I don't want this any more. Plus if I have any wish of building a healthy relationship this will only be a shaky foundation.
I know it's not normal and I admitted to my low self esteem. However, I am here to start doing something about it....

Thats good. It means yuve taken the first step on becoming self actualised and being a better person for yourself :smile:
Well at least I'm trying to reach out and seek help for my circumstances and to take positive steps to change things...

Sorry, that was a bit dickish. Listen, I really want to know if I know you bit more specifically, obviously without you giving away your identity on here, because I want to explain something that was misintepreted. Can you help me out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending