Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American attending the University of Mississippi with majors in mathematics, economics, and philosophy. Over the past year, my grades have fallen from a 3.95/4.0 to a 3.75/4.0 as I've had to deal with the deaths of my aunt, grandmother, and grandfather; my surviving grandfather and my mother both suffering heart attacks, the re-entry into my life of an abusive father, and a romantic relationship with a physically and emotionally abusive partner. To minimize the impact of these events on my future, I'd like advice on how to become competitive for postgraduate study in the UK. I am interested in the MSc in Philosophy of Social Science at LSE, the MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at LSE, the MSc in Economics and Philosophy at LSE, the MPhil in Political Theory at Oxford, as well as the possibility of seeking a second bachelor's degree in PPE at Oxford. If anyone has any advice on the relative difficulty of admissions into these programs or on what I can do to make myself a competitive applicant, I'd really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaflaher)
    I'm an American attending the University of Mississippi with majors in mathematics, economics, and philosophy. Over the past year, my grades have fallen from a 3.95/4.0 to a 3.75/4.0 as I've had to deal with the deaths of my aunt, grandmother, and grandfather; my surviving grandfather and my mother both suffering heart attacks, the re-entry into my life of an abusive father, and a romantic relationship with a physically and emotionally abusive partner. To minimize the impact of these events on my future, I'd like advice on how to become competitive for postgraduate study in the UK. I am interested in the MSc in Philosophy of Social Science at LSE, the MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at LSE, the MSc in Economics and Philosophy at LSE, the MPhil in Political Theory at Oxford, as well as the possibility of seeking a second bachelor's degree in PPE at Oxford. If anyone has any advice on the relative difficulty of admissions into these programs or on what I can do to make myself a competitive applicant, I'd really appreciate it.
    Great majors.

I'll speak about the LSE as it's where I have experience. A second Bachelors is feasible, but you'll need to convince them why you need a second undergraduate in a subject closely related to your current majors. For the LSE, 3.75 is sufficient and more often than not, they'll be more interested in your personal statement and why the course. Have a look at the reading lists on the respective course websites and get cracking on some of the reading.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how it works for American students but most non-EU students needing a visa to study in the UK have to have a strong case for why they want to do a degree that's at a similar level to what they already have e.g why you want to do another similar undergrad degree to what you already have. With the postgrad degrees, make sure you have good references and meet the academic requirements. You then have to show that you have an interest in the subject and some experience in it and what your career plans are in your personal statement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.