Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do YOU cope with people staring? Watch

Announcements

Hi TSR Ranting/seeking advice! I'm an ex-self harmer and I have some fairly minor scarring on my arms. I get really sick of people staring at it I cover up as much as possible, but I can't be covered to the wrists all the time.

So, TSRians...anyone with physical "unusualness" that makes people take a second look? How do you cope without getting angry and poking them in the eye? :poke:

I used to self harm too. Luckily mines on my arms so people dont notice much. Wear bracelets or maybe cover it with makeup. Or you could get a tshirt saying 'yes i used to self harm, get over it'

ReputationRep:
    Well you wanted attention, now you have it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was the whole point...? back in the days of emo culture, cutting the wrist was hot ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I thought that was the whole point...? back in the days of emo culture, cutting the wrist was hot ****
    Maybe emo-culture, but a fair number of depression sufferers actually become addicted to cutting, and it's no joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Maybe emo-culture, but a fair number of depression sufferers actually become addicted to cutting, and it's no joke.
    they all happened to be emos though - very coincidental

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Self harm is not always about attention. It can be a symptom or a coping strategy for all kinds of things. Plenty of people hide it for years.

(Original post by Jebedee)
    Sure, that's why I never told anyone. Makes sense.

I'm not bothered by your uneducated rubbish because I'm confident, healthy and happy, but people reading this might not be in such a good situation. Grow up, study up or shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sure, that's why I never told anyone. Makes sense.

I'm not bothered by your uneducated rubbish because I'm confident, healthy and happy, but people reading this might not be in such a good situation. Grow up, study up or shut up.
    Well with visible scars you don't have to, that's the point surely.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.