Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How common is lactose in beer? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think I might be lactose intolerant as I've spent the last few months with frequently upset stomachs... nothing severe but I've found my stools have been a bit loose and gooey at times whereas they never really used to be like that.

I've also suffered with a lot of bloating and flatulence, but some diet changes have relieved that quite a lot (I've always eaten quite clean but I seem sensitive to certain foods). I've cut out dairy products too which appears to have made more improvements.

My stomach still doesn't feel 100% though and I'm thinking it may be due to alcohol. I was out drinking friday and saturday and it's now tuesday. I'm thinking it's either a) down to alcohol withdrawal or... b) due to lactose from the alcohol that I was drinking.

I know alcohol can certainly give you an upset stomach, but it's been 2–3 days since I last drank and my stools still seem a bit loose. Having said that, I do go out at least once most weeks and my nights out can be pretty excessive to say the least.

So I'm wondering, how common is lactose in lager? That's what I drink 90% of the time when I'm out. I normally stick to drinks like Fosters, Carling, Stella etc but these days find myself drinking random house lagers when that's all that is on offer
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamff73642)
    I think I might be lactose intolerant as I've spent the last few months with frequently upset stomachs... nothing severe but I've found my stools have been a bit loose and gooey at times whereas they never really used to be like that.

I've also suffered with a lot of bloating and flatulence, but some diet changes have relieved that quite a lot (I've always eaten quite clean but I seem sensitive to certain foods). I've cut out dairy products too which appears to have made more improvements.

My stomach still doesn't feel 100% though and I'm thinking it may be due to alcohol. I was out drinking friday and saturday and it's now tuesday. I'm thinking it's either a) down to alcohol withdrawal or... b) due to lactose from the alcohol that I was drinking.

I know alcohol can certainly give you an upset stomach, but it's been 2–3 days since I last drank and my stools still seem a bit loose. Having said that, I do go out at least once most weeks and my nights out can be pretty excessive to say the least.

So I'm wondering, how common is lactose in lager? That's what I drink 90% of the time when I'm out. I normally stick to drinks like Fosters, Carling, Stella etc but these days find myself drinking random house lagers when that's all that is on offer
    Just look up the ingredients in whatever you're drinking. Alcohol in general can cause an upset stomach too, especially when a lot is consumed.

I'd suggest seeing your dr about it. Sometimes intollerances can be linked and they can give you good advice on it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.