Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Data analysis help needed! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I wonder if someone can help me. I have some results from a survey and I'm unsure how to analyse them.

I would like to rank the courses by the number of enrolled students, but as you can see, some courses have run more than once which means the number of enrolled students will of course be higher.

What method should I use so that the ranking by number of enrolled students takes into account the number of times the course has run (baring in mind that if a course has run more than once, the number of enrolled students in each session won't be equal)?

I've attached an image of my data.

Thanks very much for your help
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazmac)
    Hi,
    Why not number of enrolled students/number of times run to get an average for how many students enrolled in one session of the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Why not number of enrolled students/number of times run to get an average for how many students enrolled in one session of the course?
    Thanks for your reply. My only concern with the method you suggest is that, in some cases, the majority of students may have enrolled in the first session and only a limited number in subsequent sessions which means the overall ranking would be unfair.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazmac)
    Thanks for your reply. My only concern with the method you suggest is that, in some cases, the majority of students may have enrolled in the first session and only a limited number in subsequent sessions which means the overall ranking would be unfair.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome
    Zacken's answer is correct. Your concern is a potential limitation of the actual study, not something that can be fixed by data analys. Unless you know what the actual average attendance was, you cannot fix it. It also shouldn't confound your analysis unless the attrition rate differs across courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Zacken's answer is correct. Your concern is a potential limitation of the actual study, not something that can be fixed by data analys. Unless you know what the actual average attendance was, you cannot fix it. It also shouldn't confound your analysis unless the attrition rate differs across courses.
    OK thanks. I will go with Zacken's and your suggestions then.
    Thank you both for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.