Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should people get fined on a train for putting their feet on the seats? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should people get fined for putting their feet on a train seat?
    Yes
    22.07%
    No
    45.25%
    Maybe
    12.57%
    I don't care
    20.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander7)
    lol guy got conned. Train inspector has probably pocketed that 50 quid for himself.
    It's not an 'on the spot' fine :rolleyes:

http://money.aol.co.uk/2016/01/07/tr...feet-on-seats/

ReputationRep:
    ‘I had no idea it was something you could be fined for. I thought maybe they would give you a warning first,’ he said.

‘I paid the fine just to get it over and done with but only because it would be such a waste of my time pleading not guilty and having to go back to court to fight it. There’s no point for such a petty matter.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/06/train-...#ixzz3xh6rsO2T
    ---
    Merseyrail spokesperson:
    "There is still a problem with feet on seats and it is difficult to put a number on it. This happens every day, despite there being 18 stickers in each carriage and a poster."
    http://money.aol.co.uk/2016/01/07/tr...feet-on-seats/
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if they get asked to move their feet and they don't, a fine should be issued imo (and I mean on the actual seat bit which is fabric, not the metal parts which aren't sat on and are easily cleaned). The amount of people I've seen with muddy shoes that then ruin the seat for others and cost the train service more cleaning charges. It's just selfish, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    We are simply purists who want a peaceful, clean and odour-free train journey. :smug:

Secretly, we would all prefer to live in Germany, but we are stuck here. :lol:
    Stuck here presumably because your train to Germany was cancelled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Stuck here presumably because your train to Germany was cancelled.
    We are still waiting for this.
    http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...don-rail-route

ReputationRep:
    No way, just like parking tickets, it's another quick, money-making scheme.

ReputationRep:
    If is directly on the fabric then maybe, but if its on the bit underneath the seat which is just metal/plastic then no

I have too many things with trains that I hate :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I said 'maybe' because I think it depends.

If you put dirty shoes on the seat in front of you, I think you should be fined. If you take your shoes off or put something on the seat to keep it clean, and no-one else wants to sit there, I don't see that there's an issue.
    • TSR Support Team

To be honest it's not exactly smart putting your feet up especially during busy times on the change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I said 'maybe' because I think it depends.

If you put dirty shoes on the seat in front of you, I think you should be fined. If you take your shoes off or put something on the seat to keep it clean, and no-one else wants to sit there, I don't see that there's an issue.
    Imagine you're in charge of those trains - you don't want to be going down the road of proving whether or not every passenger with their feet up caused damage or soiling... or whether the seat protection precautions they claim they were taking were adequate.

It'd be as bad as saying smoking is forbidden... unless you hold lit cigarettes somewhat near to an open window and catch the ash in a suitable fireproof container.

What's so difficult about just keeping your feet on the floor anyway?

fwiw one of the 18 stickers per Merseyrail carriage of the type this chap was caught in...

Name:  merseyrail-sign.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  111.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Imagine you're in charge of those trains - you don't want to be going down the road of proving whether or not every passenger with their feet up caused damage or soiling... or whether the seat protection precautions they claim they were taking were adequate.

It'd be as bad as saying smoking is forbidden... unless you hold lit cigarettes somewhat near to an open window and catch the ash in a suitable fireproof container.

What's so difficult about just keeping your feet on the floor anyway?

fwiw one of the 18 stickers per Merseyrail carriage of the type this chap was caught in...

Name:  merseyrail-sign.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  111.4 KB
    Putting something on a sign doesn't automatically make it reasonable. Nor does the fact that something is 'not difficult' not to do justify fining people for doing it.

It really wouldn't be difficult to give train workers the discretion to fine as and when they feel it is justified, with the sort of matters I've drawn attention to kept as guidelines. Then the issue of whether the matter is being dealt with responsibly simply becomes a matter of the train companies wanting to appear reasonable to customers.

ReputationRep:
    It is a horrible habit, but no, it shouldn't be fined.

I did it in Italy 3 years ago, on one of the disgusting, dirty and run down trains they use near Naples. Got a proper telling off for it from an Italian lady, despite me not knowing a word she was saying. Embarrassing, to say the least.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Of course they should. People do it to dissuade others from sitting opposite or next to them. It's selfish and passively hostile and raises hackles when practiced on crowded commuter trains.

You pay for one seat and others who have also paid for one seat are entitled to choose where they sit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think a fine is a bit extreme, train travel is expensive enough as it is

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I don't want the dirt from their shoes to cling to my trousers. They do not own the seat, so they have no right to effect it in a way in which others using it must be inconvenienced. Either they don't put their shoes/feet on the seat, or they make sure they carry a little kit with cleaning equipment. The former is easier to implement.

Summed up quite nicely here:

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Yes, if they get asked to move their feet and they don't, a fine should be issued imo (and I mean on the actual seat bit which is fabric, not the metal parts which aren't sat on and are easily cleaned). The amount of people I've seen with muddy shoes that then ruin the seat for others and cost the train service more cleaning charges. It's just selfish, really.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :hello:

ReputationRep:
    We are simply purists who want a peaceful, clean and odour-free train journey. :smug:

Secretly, we would all prefer to live in Germany, but we are stuck here. :lol:
    I actually do though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Ich Man)
    I actually do though
    Sie sind Deutsch?

ReputationRep:
    Sie sind Deutsch?
    Do you mean Sind Sie Deutscher? No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Ich Man)
    Do you mean Sind Sie Deutscher? No
    Yah. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    And also I take them down at stops incase anyone wants to sit opposite or sit on the seat next to the opposite seat. And if someone is sitting on the table on the diagonal I wouldn't put my feet up next to them. It's only when I have a table seat to myself (often the case in first class on non peak services) that I slip my shoes off, sit back, and enjoy the ride
    I would not mind that one bit!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.