The Student Room Group

Preparing for uni

Hi guys!! I'm currently studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care and I am going to uni in September to study Psychology!
In my course, the amount of psychology I study is tiny compared to that studied at A-Level, and I am really worried that I'm gonna know nothing when I start in September :frown: can anyone recommend any psychology books that cover a range of different areas that would be a good starting point for preparing myself for uni?? Or any books for additional reading? Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by erinmay3
Hi guys!! I'm currently studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care and I am going to uni in September to study Psychology!
In my course, the amount of psychology I study is tiny compared to that studied at A-Level, and I am really worried that I'm gonna know nothing when I start in September :frown: can anyone recommend any psychology books that cover a range of different areas that would be a good starting point for preparing myself for uni?? Or any books for additional reading? Thank you!

don't worry so much :smile: Psychology is almost never a pre-requisite for uni and chances are about 25% of students will never have studied psychology at all.

However i would suggest that you could looik at the universities suggested reading list.
I'm studying biological sciences. In 1st year we had units on the basics and the lecturers were telling us not to worry because we were mixed with forensic scientists, archaeologist and nutritionists and we had such different backgrounds!
Original post by erinmay3

I wouldn't worry too much but if you'd like something to help you prepare then something like: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/preparing-for-uni might be worth trying out. It's free and if you don't get on with it there's no problem just dropping it but it might help reassure you about what will be expected of you and give you a head start when it comes to starting your course in the Autumn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending