The Student Room Group

Further Pure mathematics compared to C1-4

So i've done C1-4 and going to do FP1-2 in June.
Wanted to know how much more difficult are they compared to the core 1-4 ones?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
So i've done C1-4 and going to do FP1-2 in June.
Wanted to know how much more difficult are they compared to the core 1-4 ones?

Thanks in advance.

FP1 is roughly the same difficulty as C1/2.
FP1 is pretty much c2 level imo, FP2 is quite a bit harder than anything in c4 but as with most a level units once you understand the content the questions themselves aren't that bad most of the time
For Edexcel, I found that:

FP1 is around the level of C1/C2.

FP2 is more difficult than C4 by far, even requires C4 knowledge. Was definitely my most difficult module out of C1-C4, S1-S4, M1, D1 and FP1-2.
Reply 4
FP1 is roughly same difficulty as C2. FP2 is a tad harder than C3 and C4 in that it is more conceptual and abstract.
Thank you all for your answers! Very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 6
EDEXCEL A LEVEL UNITS.jpg
Original post by TeeEm

So M3 is not *that* much of a monstrosity then? Interesting. I found Fp3 much nicer than Fp2. Still do actually.
Original post by TeeEm

Does that thing say FP1 is easier than S1..?
Reply 9
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
So M3 is not *that* much of a monstrosity then? Interesting. I found Fp3 much nicer than Fp2. Still do actually.

not my personal opinion
Reply 10
Original post by Student403

it does
Original post by TeeEm
it does

What's the rating given by?

It probably is tbf. Fp1 is rather straight forward.

Original post by TeeEm
not my personal opinion

I see.
It probably is tbf. Fp1 is rather straight forward.

I see.

In my opinion, if FP1 is straight forward, S1 is child's play
Reply 14
What's the rating given by?

not entirely sure as I got this a while back in a seminar
Original post by TeeEm
not entirely sure as I got this a while back in a seminar

Ah. Cheers anyway
In my opinion, if FP1 is straight forward, S1 is child's play

I got 78 in S1 and 94 in Fp1 for the same amount of non-work. Fp1 requires no new skills really whereas for me in S1 there was a lot to remember and I hated the module.

I agree with some of the rest of it. The only other disagreement is that I feel that C4 is really close to C3 in terms of difficulty. I don't think there's such a jump.
(edited 8 years ago)
I got 78 in S1 and 94 in Fp1 for the same amount of non-work. Fp1 requires no new skills really whereas for me in S1 there was a lot to remember and I hated the module.

I think S1 is a badly structured module and contains a lot of unnecessary things. I'm similar to you in my module scores for both. (although having checked with the model answers, I'm fairly sure I'd have upped my S1 mark had I been able to afford a remark - besides the point.) Anyway the reason I say it's easier is that S1 is more remembering silly little things the "examiner" wants to see in the answer (referring to the worded responses). Whereas in FP1, I think lower sets would struggle because it is highly based on understanding. If you get FP1, you will do well in FP1. If you get S1, you'd better say whatever the examiner is looking for in your subjective answers to do well in S1.
I think S1 is a badly structured module and contains a lot of unnecessary things. I'm similar to you in my module scores for both. (although having checked with the model answers, I'm fairly sure I'd have upped my S1 mark had I been able to afford a remark - besides the point.) Anyway the reason I say it's easier is that S1 is more remembering silly little things the "examiner" wants to see in the answer (referring to the worded responses). Whereas in FP1, I think lower sets would struggle because it is highly based on understanding. If you get FP1, you will do well in FP1. If you get S1, you'd better say whatever the examiner is looking for in your subjective answers to do well in S1.

I see. We'll have to agree to disagree. I didn't think there was much to Fp1. The hard bit would be proof by induction as I never got how to conclude :tongue:.

I don't remember much of S1 but it felt like there were a million things to remember which were badly structure as you say.
I see. We'll have to agree to disagree. I didn't think there was much to Fp1. The hard bit would be proof by induction as I never got how to conclude :tongue:.

I don't remember much of S1 but it felt like there were a million things to remember which were badly structure as you say.

Fair enough. I think it was the things like proof by induction and matrices that lead me to talk about 'understanding' being a key part of it. The reason I prefer FP is that a lot of things are shown from first principles (series, those approximations like Newton-Raphson) which makes it really nice for maths lovers.

S1 was a bit of a memorising test, definitely.

I agree with some of the rest of it. The only other disagreement is that I feel that C4 is really close to C3 in terms of difficulty. I don't think there's such a jump.

Agree with the second part

Quick Reply

Latest