Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

False modesty Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else hate people who fake modesty?

I find it rather irksome. It's fine to be proud of your accomplishments and I don't think you're better if you pretend to be bad at something and then demonstrate you're infact amazing.

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    ^^
    Yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Does anyone else hate people who fake modesty?

I find it rather irksome. It's fine to be proud of your accomplishments and I don't think you're better if you pretend to be bad at something and then demonstrate you're infact amazing.
    people hate me for being an arrogant prick but i see if i try to fake modesty people will hate me either way. no matter what you do someone will always hate you for it.

i dont give a **** how modest or arrogant someone is or whether they are faking it or not, it's none of my business

ReputationRep:
    Yes?
    ^^ = above post.. I agree
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    people hate me for being an arrogant prick but i see if i try to fake modesty people will hate me either way. no matter what you do someone will always hate you for it.

i dont give a **** how modest or arrogant someone is or whether they are faking it or not, it's none of my business
    I don't mind arrogance perse. If you can't back it then I'll be there to laugh .

I just find that people who do this are desperate for someone to say "oh, but you're actually great" and I don't like being manipulated in that way.

^^ = above post.. I agree
    Oh. I thought you were saying I was guilty of this.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind if you're arrogant if you have something to back it up. Besides, if you embarrass yourself, it's something amazing.

I just find that people who do this are desperate for someone to say "oh, but you're actually great" and I don't like being manipulated in that way.

Oh. I thought you were saying I was guilty of this.
    Lol not at all. You seem like a pretty modest chap

ReputationRep:
    when I say I'm bad at something e.g. running...I'm genuinely seriously bad.
    when I say I'm expecting a crappy result...I'm genuinely expecting it.
    And yet quite a few of my friends will passionately agree with me, only to start running like ****ing Usain Bolt, or get a 1st
    don't say u suck at something when u actually don't. how does it make someone like me feel smh

ReputationRep:
    If you have followed me on tsr you will agree that I'm the perfect portrayal of modesty.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    And yet quite a few of my friends will passionately agree with me, only to start running like ****ing Usain Bolt, or get a 1st
    don't say u suck at something when u actually don't. how does it make someone like me feel smh
    Yea, fake insecurities are slightly related but equally annoying. I find that a bit more forgivable as you can never know truely if they doubt their abilities.

It's after they get their result. That friend who belittles their own accomplishments and makes you feel **** about what you've struggled to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    Especially when people act really sour about getting a result others work hard for. E.g. being openly sour about getting an A and saying how it's "so crap", just because they didn't get an A*. Be unhappy if your expectations are high, but don't belittle the result because others work hard for it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Especially when people act really sour about getting a result others work hard for. E.g. being openly sour about getting an A and saying how it's "so crap", just because they didn't get an A*. Be unhappy if your expectations are high, but don't belittle the result because others work hard for it.
    Well I'm a person that has cried over As before so I think it's fine to have high expectations.

If however I'm in that sort of mood, I'm careful to not say "it's nothing" because I appreciate that it might hurt others feelings.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    What if you genuinely believe you're bad at something, and are genuinely surprised at the subsequent result? As an undergrad there were several occasions where I'd submitted an essay that I really did think was below-par and that wouldn't get a good grade, and somehow ended up with a 1st. I can understand why it's frustrating for friends when that happens, but if the feeling is genuine then what can you do about it?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a person that has cried over As before so I think it's fine to have high expectations.

If however I'm in that sort of mood, I'm careful to not say "it's nothing" because I appreciate that it might hurt others feelings.
    Yup

Hence why I said "Be unhappy if your expectations are high, but don't belittle the result"

Meaning don't explicitly say "An A is soo bad" or something along the lines.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's to do with the Dunning-Kruger effect, some people who are really good at something genuinely don't realise that their so good at it, they assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yup

Hence why I said "Be unhappy if your expectations are high, but don't belittle the result"

Meaning don't explicitly say "An A is soo bad" or something along the lines.
    Though again, people like that might might truely see it that way. I often don't know how I'll do after exams and interviews and things. My gripe is with those who are being dishonest.

(Original post by llacerta)
    What if you genuinely believe you're bad at something, and are genuinely surprised at the subsequent result? As an undergrad there were several occasions where I'd submitted an essay that I really did think was below-par and that wouldn't get a good grade, and somehow ended up with a 1st. I can understand why it's frustrating for friends when that happens, but if the feeling is genuine then what can you do about it?
    Perhaps the first time, sure. Of course there are times when this happens. But I can imagine it's rather annoying when it's a repeated occurrence. When it's clear someone is just trying to hype in on the feeling of feeling bad.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't made my mind up on this one. Sometimes modesty is good even when it's faked but when it's faked only to be completely obliterated by success they knew they were heading for then it's like oh for ****s sake what a... It is annoying that they just pretended for their own benefit and gratification when their actual 'result' or whatever comes through they get the double satisfaction.

Although having said that sometimes it's difficult to tell whether someone was just playing it cool so as not to get disappointed/to disappoint people with expectations for them.
    It depends what they were being 'falsely' modest about.

ReputationRep:
    I agree!! It's ridiculous and so transparent.

ReputationRep:
    It totally bothers me so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.