Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

So basically, I'm a Music Tech first year at UWE Bristol. Joined in September. UWE was my firm and Bournemouth was my insurance. Pretty much, I've been incredibly unlucky with my flatmates, there's 3 boys and 3 girls. The 2 other boys don't talk or go out, they just sit in their room and have no social aspects to them whatsoever.

Two of the girls are nice but not exactly my type of person, and the other girl is similar to the boys. I've met a tiny amount of good friends, my only real good friend who I see everyday I knew before uni anyway. I wasted September-December on a girl at uni who ended up being a complete waste of time, I won't go into that too much.

But pretty much, the people who I met when I first joined were through one of the girls in my flat, (the only one who I get along with well). I'd go to the same flat for pre drinks and I liked the girls but there were no lads I got along with or clicked with.

It's been the same since, I click with probably 2 lads and they've already sorted out their house for next year, whereas I was supposed to get my house with the girl who I now don't speak to, and a lad I became really close with, who's since dropped out.

I've been really unlucky as I've seen that 90% of the people that everyone meets at uni is through a flatmate one way or the other, whereas my flatmates don't even go out or have a social life. I'm depressed at uni, I even break down in tears a lot of nights. I really want to drop out, join Bournemouth as a first year in September and give uni another crack as there's no way I can be as unlucky with my flatmates next time round. My head is telling me give it another month, if I don't meet anyone I can live with or at least be good friends with and go out with then drop out and join Bournemouth in September. (Leaving uni is 100% not an option, I know it's for me)

And please give me your similar stories if you have them, and when you met your second year housemates! Because people tell me it's still early days, but it doesn't seem that way as it's nearly February, pretty much everyone has sorted a house, and have a group of friends.

Thank you guys!! Please help!

ReputationRep:
    Dropped out. Much happier now, if you're crying every night you really can't get much lower than to take the plunge and risk of leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramsey97)
    Hey everyone,

So basically, I'm a Music Tech first year at UWE Bristol. Joined in September. UWE was my firm and Bournemouth was my insurance. Pretty much, I've been incredibly unlucky with my flatmates, there's 3 boys and 3 girls. The 2 other boys don't talk or go out, they just sit in their room and have no social aspects to them whatsoever.

Two of the girls are nice but not exactly my type of person, and the other girl is similar to the boys. I've met a tiny amount of good friends, my only real good friend who I see everyday I knew before uni anyway. I wasted September-December on a girl at uni who ended up being a complete waste of time, I won't go into that too much.

But pretty much, the people who I met when I first joined were through one of the girls in my flat, (the only one who I get along with well). I'd go to the same flat for pre drinks and I liked the girls but there were no lads I got along with or clicked with.

It's been the same since, I click with probably 2 lads and they've already sorted out their house for next year, whereas I was supposed to get my house with the girl who I now don't speak to, and a lad I became really close with, who's since dropped out.

I've been really unlucky as I've seen that 90% of the people that everyone meets at uni is through a flatmate one way or the other, whereas my flatmates don't even go out or have a social life. I'm depressed at uni, I even break down in tears a lot of nights. I really want to drop out, join Bournemouth as a first year in September and give uni another crack as there's no way I can be as unlucky with my flatmates next time round. My head is telling me give it another month, if I don't meet anyone I can live with or at least be good friends with and go out with then drop out and join Bournemouth in September. (Leaving uni is 100% not an option, I know it's for me)

And please give me your similar stories if you have them, and when you met your second year housemates! Because people tell me it's still early days, but it doesn't seem that way as it's nearly February, pretty much everyone has sorted a house, and have a group of friends.

Thank you guys!! Please help!
    Hi ramsey97,

It sounds like you have had an unlucky experience.

Finding housing from first year to second year can be stressful and I know plenty of people that struggled to find a house, including myself.In the end I lived with two people I knew (who I had not previously lived with before) and 2 people I didn’t know. In the end it worked out well, I get on really well with my housemates and am still in regular contact with my housemates from last year.

I find in second year it doesn’t really matter where you live, as long as you have a room to stay in. Everyone will be in houses so you will be able to visit your friends whenever you please.I have friends who ended up staying in spare rooms that were advertised on Facebook and they have had no issues.

Also if your struggling to meet people, it may be worth joining a few societies you enjoy and getting to know new people that way.

In the end only you can decide if it is best to move universities or not.

I am currently a second year at Bournemouth so if you did have any questions about this university feel free to ask

Gemma

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that... but before you decide to drop out, reevaluate this choice once again... best friend of my brother had the same problem... most of people on his course were asian and would hang out only with themselves and his flatmates were either xenophobic (he is from Poland) or just not his cup of tea... he ended up joining two, three societies and guess what? He has his group of beloved friends now. Also, he got part time job after some time and he met lot of students there too. If that does not work then well... at least you tried Good luck and keep your chin up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.