Turn on thread page Beta

england V croatia... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to see him running at full speed, dodging in and out of defenders and pummelling it into the back of the net again. It's true, Owen hasn't done much that has been really impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    I want to see him running at full speed, dodging in and out of defenders and pummelling it into the back of the net again. It's true, Owen hasn't done much that has been really impressive.
    that's what i wana see. people are saying something about him not adapting to roonie, but he hasnt done anything impressive with or without roonie taking the spotlight! hope he does something tonight

ReputationRep:
    Croatia manager quoted as saying:
    Rooney collects yellow cards, and let's hope a red one.

Score prediction, England 3-1 Croatia,
    Michael Owen hatrick, Prso for them.

Sven says we will 'attack' them, although his definition of attack is sticking Owen on the opposition goaline and playing hopscotch in our penalty area. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Croatia manager quoted as saying:

Score prediction, England 3-1 Croatia,
    Michael Owen hatrick, Prso for them.

Sven says we will 'attack' them, although his definition of attack is sticking Owen on the opposition goaline and playing hopscotch in our penalty area. :rolleyes:
    i dont understand why people think owen will excel so much in this game after being so quiet all this time :confused:

(Original post by neha p)
    i dont understand why people think owen will excel so much in this game after being so quiet all this time
    I know. I think Vessell is better than Owen. We only need a draw, and i think that's what we'll get.

ReputationRep:
    I think Prso's a bit **** but just going through a good phase - 40 games in 7 years for Monaco shows he's never been considered as very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I know. I think Vessell is better than Owen. We only need a draw, and i think that's what we'll get.
    As some people say, class is permanent, form is temporary. Owen's a better player than Vassel. Vassel's a brilliant option to have at the end, running against tiring legs. Remember, Vassel's always been a sub, so I don't know if he can play well for a whole match against legs which aren't already tired.
    Btw, Owen Hargreeves is now fit to be on the bench against Croatia.

(Original post by Xenon)
    As some people say, class is permanent, form is temporary. Owen's a better player than Vassel. Vassel's a brilliant option to have at the end, running against tiring legs. Remember, Vassel's always been a sub, so I don't know if he can play well for a whole match against legs which aren't already tired.
    Btw, Owen Hargreeves is now fit to be on the bench against Croatia.
    But imagine Owen against tired legs, that would be even better i think.

ReputationRep:
    Im not Owens biggest fan but I cant see any justification for dropping him hes got the second best goals per game ratio of any England player and he scares the hell out of defenders. The only reason why he has been struggling to score in the last few games is becasue he has been playing as pretty much a lone striker (with Rooney in the hole) that means he has had two centre backs following him round the pitch whereas before he has had Heskey acting as a foil and knowcking the ball down for him. Plus his cross for Rooneys first goal on thrursday was absolutely world class, and id argue that Vassell wouldnt have been able to do that.

Vassells a quality player though and I reckon we should carry on bringing him on as a sub when the oppositions defenders have been knackered out by Rooney and Owen in the last twenty minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    But imagine Owen against tired legs, that would be even better i think.
    You cant save you're best players till the end of the game though - Owens got more to his game than simply being able to capitalise on tiring defences

(Original post by Cossack)
    Im not Owens biggest fan but I cant see any justification for dropping him hes got the second best goals per game ratio of any England player and he scares the hell out of defenders. The only reason why he has been struggling to score in the last few games is becasue he has been playing as pretty much a lone striker (with Rooney in the hole) that means he has had two centre backs following him round the pitch whereas before he has had Heskey acting as a foil and knowcking the ball down for him. Plus his cross for Rooneys first goal on thrursday was absolutely world class, and id argue that Vassell wouldnt have been able to do that.

Vassells a quality player though and I reckon we should carry on bringing him on as a sub when the oppositions defenders have been knackered out by Rooney and Owen in the last twenty minutes
    What would happen if Rooney and Owen changed places i wonder...

ReputationRep:
    England should play a 9-1 formation with Heskey as a lone striker.

ReputationRep:
    If I were Sven (which admittedly I'm not :rolleyes: ) I would start Owen and should he fail to perform in the 1st half, he should be subbed for Vassell at H/T, no questions asked. I am bitterly disappointed with his level of performance and IMO, he has been mediocre - we simply cannot afford to gamble on somebody in mediocre form, in the hope that they will produce the goods. Persisting with Owen, if and when he produces a lacklustre 1st half performance tonight, is unfair on Vassell, Rooney and the whole team.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    England should play a 9-1 formation with Heskey as a lone striker.
    lol, you're good enough to be the Bath City manager, would you consider it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    If I were Sven (which admittedly I'm not :rolleyes: ) I would start Owen and should he fail to perform in the 1st half, he should be subbed for Vassell at H/T, no questions asked. I am bitterly disappointed with his level of performance and IMO, he has been mediocre - we simply cannot afford to gamble on somebody in mediocre form, in the hope that they will produce the goods. Persisting with Owen, if and when he produces a lacklustre 1st half performance tonight, is unfair on Vassell, Rooney and the whole team.
    I don't think that would help much. As I said, Vassell would be good against tiring legs. The legs would be rejuvenated after the half time interval, and therefore Vassell might not have as much of an impact.

ReputationRep:
    so the direction of this thread has changed slightly, but i say owen will perform tonight! and you are completely correct vassel is better introduced, late in the second half, often as a last chance attempt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I don't think that would help much. As I said, Vassell would be good against tiring legs. The legs would be rejuvenated after the half time interval, and therefore Vassell might not have as much of an impact.
    I don't subscribe to the view that Vassell is only effective against tired legs. IMO, and on current evidence, DV seems to be the more dynamic player out of Owen and Vassell. Yes, I appreciate that in this tournament Owen has had to contend with intensive marking, against less fatigued opposition - but I still maintain that DV would be more dynamic and effective than Owen, even from the off. However, not even Sven would gamble on starting DV, given Owen's reputation (which he isn't living up to at all), the good result in the last match (in which Owen was a bystander other than the Rooney setup) and the criticism he faced in the light of his tinkerings in the France match (which Vassell played well in).

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.