The Student Room Group

Regretting uni choices, but received offers.. What do I do?

I've recently applied for University of Liverpool, John Moores x2, University of Chester and also Northumbria University.. I've got offers back from all apart from Northumbria, but i'm starting to think about the fact these are local universities to me and I'm really gutted that my only potential option to move away is Northumbria.

What do I do? Although I have a stable job in Liverpool on good money and this would be great alongside my degree, I'm thinking that I really want to just throw myself head first into the student experience and I feel that living so close to home, i'm not going to get that..

Help please guys.. Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caltaittt
I've recently applied for University of Liverpool, John Moores x2, University of Chester and also Northumbria University.. I've got offers back from all apart from Northumbria, but i'm starting to think about the fact these are local universities to me and I'm really gutted that my only potential option to move away is Northumbria.

What do I do? Although I have a stable job in Liverpool on good money and this would be great alongside my degree, I'm thinking that I really want to just throw myself head first into the student experience and I feel that living so close to home, i'm not going to get that..

You can always try adjustment or clearing later on in the year
Reply 2
Original post by kieran12321LFC
You can always try adjustment or clearing later on in the year

Is clearing not risky though? From what i've seen, people who've gone into clearing tend to end up on the most random of degree courses
Is clearing not risky though? From what i've seen, people who've gone into clearing tend to end up on the most random of degree courses

If you do well and manage to beat the offer of whatever your firm choice is you might be able to get on a better course through adjustment. Generally good unis offer adjustment and former polys offer clearing
You could see what's available through clearing - some courses and unis are good! And if not then you can decide after your a level results whether you want to go or delay another year and apply further afield. A year won't make much difference and it's better to get the right place. What course have you applied to? Why did you initially choose unis close to home?
Reply 5
While I'm sure lots of people will have stories of how brilliant moving away was for them, it really didn't help me at all.
I had a stable job like you and left it to move far away for uni. I ended up with a bad group of people, didn't really fit in, was isolated from my family and friends back home, and after one year of struggling by I left. Not trying to put you off as I'm sure it's amazing for many people to move away from home for the first time, but personally, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and I'd rather have moved into student halls at a closer uni. You'll get the immersive student experience from doing that anyway.
PS congratulations on your offers those are really good unis.

Don't reply to your offers yet - you've got loads of time before the deadline and before then UCAS Extra will open.

When Extra opens have a search on UCAS for your subject elsewhere to get an idea which universities are still open for applications. Any that interest you do a bit more research (time it right and you could book to visit for a campus tour over half term) and get in touch with them to make sure they're definitely still open (some universities are slow to close courses).

If you find something that takes your fancy then you can decline your local offers on Track and apply for a new choice through Extra.

You've got plenty of time though and you can start researching other universities now (most will be able to say if you ring them up if they're likely to be in extra for your subject or if they're definitely closed).
I was in a similar position to you a couple years back, so I chose to reject all my offers and use UCAS Extra instead.
Reply 8
Original post by EtherealNymph22
You could see what's available through clearing - some courses and unis are good! And if not then you can decide after your a level results whether you want to go or delay another year and apply further afield. A year won't make much difference and it's better to get the right place. What course have you applied to? Why did you initially choose unis close to home?

Is clearing not just the courses at universities that aren't filled though? A few of my friends went through clearing a few years back and ended up on some of the most random courses.

I'm on an access course, so i'm unsure if i'd be able to take a year out, and with me being 20 now, i'm not sure i'd want to which is a pain!

I've applied for Business management with a year in industry at Liverpool University, Business management and Maritime Business management at John Moores, Global Entrepreneurship and Business management at Chester and Business Leadership at Northumbria!

It's just a shame as I feel UCAS applications are so rushed!
Reply 9
Original post by Workerb33
While I'm sure lots of people will have stories of how brilliant moving away was for them, it really didn't help me at all.
I had a stable job like you and left it to move far away for uni. I ended up with a bad group of people, didn't really fit in, was isolated from my family and friends back home, and after one year of struggling by I left. Not trying to put you off as I'm sure it's amazing for many people to move away from home for the first time, but personally, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and I'd rather have moved into student halls at a closer uni. You'll get the immersive student experience from doing that anyway.
PS congratulations on your offers those are really good unis.

That's the only thing i'm worried about.. I'm working in the Civil Service at the moment and although I enjoy it, I feel like it may be too much with Uni work on top.. Thanks a lot, i'm made up with the offers, just worried I may live to regret not moving away.
Reply 10
Original post by callum_law
I was in a similar position to you a couple years back, so I chose to reject all my offers and use UCAS Extra instead.

How did it work out for you?
How did it work out for you?

I made the right call and ended up at a decent uni. When my final Access results came in, I also explored UCAS Adjustment and got offers from Newcastle and QMUL, but I chose to stay with my Extra uni.
Reply 12
I made the right call and ended up at a decent uni. When my final Access results came in, I also explored UCAS Adjustment and got offers from Newcastle and QMUL, but I chose to stay with my Extra uni.

So you were on an access course too? Do you mind me asking what grades you got? And what course did you end up on?
Reply 13

Reject them all and apply through UCAS extra??
So you were on an access course too? Do you mind me asking what grades you got? And what course did you end up on?

Yeah, I ended up getting 45 credits at distinction (which I did not expect). I got an offer for law at Exeter which was only 12 credits at distinction.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
Don't reply to your offers yet - you've got loads of time before the deadline and before then UCAS Extra will open.

When Extra opens have a search on UCAS for your subject elsewhere to get an idea which universities are still open for applications. Any that interest you do a bit more research (time it right and you could book to visit for a campus tour over half term) and get in touch with them to make sure they're definitely still open (some universities are slow to close courses).

If you find something that takes your fancy then you can decline your local offers on Track and apply for a new choice through Extra.

You've got plenty of time though and you can start researching other universities now (most will be able to say if you ring them up if they're likely to be in extra for your subject or if they're definitely closed).

So with extra you don't make a firm choice or an insurance choice, you just wait until may to see what places are left or is this later on in the year? Thanks for the advice by the way.
Reply 16
Yeah, I ended up getting 45 credits at distinction (which I did not expect). I got an offer for law at Exeter which was only 12 credits at distinction.

Wow that's amazing! Congratulations.. I'm not going to get anywhere near that level, but most Russell group universities are asking for 30 Distinctions and 15 at Merit!
Reply 17
Original post by sw651
Reject them all and apply through UCAS extra??

I think I may have to! Did you do this?
Reply 18
I think I may have to! Did you do this?

Well, I only applied this year, I didn't because I have confirmed my places. But my friend is going to :smile:
Wow that's amazing! Congratulations.. I'm not going to get anywhere near that level, but most Russell group universities are asking for 30 Distinctions and 15 at Merit!

I thought I'd not get close either! Just try to do your best. I am sure you can manage to get an offer from another RG, besides Liverpool. It's definitely worth trying to find a university further away from home, so you do get to enjoy the experience of it all. Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, York are good Northern universities. If you are worried about not meeting 30 at D, Exeter might be an option for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending