Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should posh people be allowed to be MPs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Should people who went to public school actually be allowed to become politicians? They were born rich, what do they actually know about the way the world works?

Hint: there's only one correct answer and that's no

ReputationRep:
    We live in a democracy, anyone (with few exceptions) can and must be allowed to stand for public office.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Although there is a disproportionate amount of MPs who were privately educated, and could be described as 'posh', banning them from taking a seat in the commons is absurd. Some of our best politicians have been privately educated. However much like the Labour party has all female short-lists we could see the introduction of all state educated short-lists to help make the Commons more reflective of the society it is meant to represent.

However I'm not too excited about that idea either in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    We live in a democracy, anyone (with few exceptions) can and must be allowed to stand for public office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    we may technically live in a democracy, but it's far from meritocratic

ReputationRep:
    4/10. Better luck next time, troll.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you don't believe in democracy, the correct answer is yes, they should be allowed to be MP's.

next..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Although there is a disproportionate amount of MPs who were privately educated, and could be described as 'posh', banning them from taking a seat in the commons is absurd. Some of our best politicians have been privately educated. However much like the Labour party has all female short-lists we could see the introduction of all state educated short-lists to help make the Commons more reflective of the society it is meant to represent.

However I'm not too excited about that idea either in all honesty.
    disproportionate representation leads to what we have today - a country run by a tiny minority of elite millionaires, and their ****e peddled by media run by a tiny minority of elite millionaires. the majority of this country are working class, and therefore should be represented proportionately in parliament.

im pretty sure it's about 7% of the country that is publicly educated, and therefore 7% of parliament should be from a public education background ( or whatever the percentage is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Unless you don't believe in democracy, the correct answer is yes, they should be allowed to be MP's.

next..
    i don't believe this is a democracy and i believe that proletariat totalitarianism would be much better for the country

next..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    4/10. Better luck next time, troll.
    ur trolldar needs calibrating mate id volley any posh person i hate them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    i don't believe this is a democracy and i believe that proletariat totalitarianism would be much better for the country

next..
    Cool

ReputationRep:
    Should people who went to public school actually be allowed to become politicians? They were born rich, what do they actually know about the way the world works?

Nobody is born rich. You think they were fresh out the womb ready to buy a FTSE company?

ReputationRep:

I fully agree with this, and I don't know why anyone would disagree unless they of course were also from that background. It seems at the moment that they are where they are now not because of ability but of who they know and where they went to school/university. We can't ban them altogether, there will be some who have truly worked hard for the people, but a radical shake up would be needed.

Of course it won't be happening anytime soon unfortunately.

Since everything is based on constituencies, I think they should represent their constituency better than they do now. They should have lived/worked/been educated/born there so they know that community and represent them. I'm fortunate to live in Bury, our MP Ivan Lewis was born in the area and has lived here all his life. The same can't be said for many other areas.

Under this system, the posh can also have their say - you wouldn't see the back of Mr. Osbourne anytime soon who represents Tatton Park... fair enough!
    Not sure if he has any links with the area though but I'm sure they have a mutual benefit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Nobody is born rich. You think they were fresh out the womb ready to buy a FTSE company?
    they were born in to a rich family then, if you are gonna try build your argument on your lack of common sense

ReputationRep:

what if they're smart? what if they represent people's views?
    also, you seem to be discriminating on the basis of birth - remember in the days of US jim crow? sounding familiar?

ReputationRep:
    they were born in to a rich family then, if you are gonna try build your argument on your lack of common sense
    On the contrary, your argument was flawed based on a clear syntax error in your statement.

To answer your question, what would you rather do? Do we put those with 5 D's at GCSE and now live on benefits in power? Do they know how the world works? They wouldn't understand economics, sociology, or war.

ReputationRep:
    Would you equally have a problem with people from the local estate who left school at 16 running for PM?

ReputationRep:
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    what if they're smart? what if they represent people's views?
    also, you seem to be discriminating on the basis of birth - remember in the days of US jim crow? sounding familiar?
    positive discrimination is what we need

+ i have no doubt they'll be smart, but it's what they choose to do with that intelligence that is the problem - as shown by the tory government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    On the contrary, your argument was flawed based on a clear syntax error in your statement.

To answer your question, what would you rather do? Do we put those with 5 D's at GCSE and now live on benefits in power? Do they know how the world works? They wouldn't understand economics, sociology, or war.
    1. you are implying that people without good GCSEs grades aren't smart, which is incorrect.

2. when did i say we should put stupid people in power? the working class are far from stupid

3. you are a bad rich tory so ur opinion don't matter mate

ReputationRep:
    positive discrimination is what we need

+ i have no doubt they'll be smart, but it's what they choose to do with that intelligence that is the problem - as shown by the tory government
    You do realize Jeremy Corbyn went to private school?! :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.