Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should posh people be allowed to be MPs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    "promotion of positive values" = good, because that's the spreading of the truth through voluntary interactions between civilised people. but positive discrimination is just childish. both kinds of discriminations are wrong. two wrongs don't make a right. we just have to look at the issue of discrimination and accept that it was bad back then and it's still bad.
    Agreed.

What I find a bit problematic in this context is the usage of the tag 'positive discrimination'. I think those of us who think as you've outlined should start insisting on just calling it 'discrimination', with no qualifier, because that would be accurate.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that the 'working-class' party is full of privately educated MPs, don't you?

You claim that 'posh' people discriminate against 'commoners', but you're willing to bar them from standing for Parliament. Discrimination works both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    No, quite. Because it would be offensive and patronising to the 'beneficiaries' of the scheme, and an active diversion away from finding the best candidate, regardless of their background or irrelevant attributes. Just like the all women shortlists.
    whether it's patronising or not is up to its recipients, not you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    Should people who went to public school actually be allowed to become politicians? They were born rich, what do they actually know about the way the world works?

Hint: there's only one correct answer and that's no
    They do. I know it's easy to be jealous/hate people that are better off than you, but get over it, it's rather immature and based upon stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    whether it's patronising or not is up to its recipients, not you
    I'm pretty sure it's up to me to interpret the act as I think is most accurate.

Do you have any real points to make, or are you just going to rely on the infantile left-wing response du jour of 'you have no right to make that point'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    They do. I know it's easy to be jealous/hate people that are better off than you, but get over it, it's rather immature and based upon stereotypes.
    i have plenty of hatred but no jealousy whatsoever, i love being working class - having things handed to you on a plate creates people like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I'm pretty sure it's up to me to interpret the act as I think is most accurate.

Do you have any real points to make, or are you just going to rely on the infantile left-wing response du jour of 'you have no right to make that point'?
    why do you have any right to make that point? if you say it is patronising, but the people who receive it disagree, then its not patronising????????????/////

and yeah ive made a lot of real points pal, scroll up

ReputationRep:
    yes, and the person with the best policies would be a person who aims to end inequality and abolish the estbalishmentist class system.

you benefit from the establishment because i assume you are a middle class white man from the way you're defending it. you benefit from oppression, and unless you are actively opposing it you are supporting it
    Dude, stop thinking that there is an establishment and that there is any serious inequality in Britain. Typical leftie. By the way, I am not white. I am not middle class, my parents both run a convenience store. I don't in any way benefit from oppression. He am I benefitting from oppression and who is being oppressed? I don't believe any group in Britain is being oppressed.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can be complaining about the current government, even if it is run by posh people. People like you seem to think that they are somehow underprivileged when they are not. Everyone has opportunity in Britain. Look at the example of the thousands of immigrants who have come here with virtually no money and managed to work hard to create a good life for themselves. Stop thinking that you are underprivileged- you are probably just not appreciating the opportunities that you have.

(

ReputationRep:
    Clearly yes. Better posh people than plebs and peons.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    i have plenty of hatred but no jealousy whatsoever, i love being working class - having things handed to you on a plate creates people like you.
    Nothing was handed to me on a plate, I know your anti-capitalist tendency is hard to overcome but people who truly work hard FROM A YOUNG AGE, not from like 20, get rich.
    Furthermore you just proved my point, because you think they get it handed to them on a plate it shows us how you are jealous that they have that wealth

ReputationRep:
    Nothing was handed to me on a plate, I know your anti-capitalist tendency is hard to overcome but people who truly work hard FROM A YOUNG AGE, not from like 20, get rich.
    Furthermore you just proved my point, because you think they get it handed to them on a plate it shows us how you are jealous that they have that wealth
    He has no understanding of how economics or capitalism works clearly

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD-xxoQwOo4

ReputationRep:
    it has nothing to do with wealth it's a mentality - if i was a millionaire id send my kids to a regular school and give them regular things. at the same time, there are poorer people who spend every single penny they have on getting their kids the latest iPhone etc. because that's their mentality, and i disagree with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's a Shame)
    You do realise that the 'working-class' party is full of privately educated MPs, don't you?

You claim that 'posh' people discriminate against 'commoners', but you're willing to bar them from standing for Parliament. Discrimination works both ways.
    it doesnt go both ways posho stop crying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    He has no understanding of how economics or capitalism works clearly
    you say i have no understanding of economics yet you eat up the tory austerity narrative - just because you are better off under the tories, doesn't mean poor people are.

i understand how capitalism works mate i live under it

ReputationRep:
    Should people who went to public school actually be allowed to become politicians? They were born rich, what do they actually know about the way the world works?

I think in order to be a politician you must have done at least 5 years of doing a normal job
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You are dubbing everyone who does not agree with you as a Conservative. Rather presumptuous really. Surely it's just best for those who have the best experience of politics to have positions of political power, so does it really matter if they are posh or not?
    Just a point - Edward Heath and Margaret Thatcher both had a good education behind them and both went to Oxbridge, but this was through their sheer hard work and determination (winning scholarships) than any posh upbringing. Thatcher was a grocer's daughter, Heath was a carpenter's son. They both went on to become Conservative Prime Ministers.

ReputationRep:

You are an absolutely magnificent ****wit.

ReputationRep:
    you say i have no understanding of economics yet you eat up the tory austerity narrative - just because you are better off under the tories, doesn't mean poor people are.

i understand how capitalism works mate i live under it
    So you should know that capitalism works for better than communism which is seemingly what you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    You are an absolutely magnificent ****wit.
    thank u

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.