Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should posh people be allowed to be MPs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    No, its a factual way of thinking. If you meant the above then you should've said, else your original statement is fundamentally false.
    My original statement is false only in the most shallow, literal terms. Of course I don't think that a baby leaves the vag holding wads of cash - no one would. Your claim is a completely banal one, therefore.

A person born to rich parents is indubitably better off than someone born to poor parents. Through education, inheritance, investment, allowance et cetera, we are not all born financially equal. That's the nub of the problem. If all you meant was that a baby doesn't leave the womb with money to its name, then everyone here agrees with you - it's just a rather boringly obvious observation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    It is racial prejudice, though.
    be that is it may or may not, it isn't racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    You are quite wrong particularly with Soviet Russia under Lenin and Stalin, it was a one party state.
    are you simple? a one party state is not FULLLLLLLLLL communism. full communism is stateless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Bright Eyes)
    I'm from a working class background and have come to despise the tories, but I'd rather have them in power than uneducated people who left school at 16. I think you're just trolling in all honesty.
    because your understanding of an "educated" person is someone who has gone through the various stages of higher education when that doesn't necessarily have to be the case

ReputationRep:
    No, only people with integrity like Douglas Carswell, Paul Nuttal, Nigel Farage ect.

:fatcontroller:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    be that is it may or may not, it isn't racism
    It's not oranges, either. Or tyres.

Forget what it isn't, because it isn't loads of things. The point is that a lot of prejudiced behaviour towards white people is justified as not being racist. It's become a 'get out of jail free' card to excuse racial prejudice, and it's just not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    because your understanding of an "educated" person is someone who has gone through the various stages of higher education when that doesn't necessarily have to be the case
    My experience is that someone who has had a formal education is much more open minded and has been brought up around intellectual conflict and is much better able to take a more intellectually pragmatic view of difficult discussions. People who haven't been educated in that formal way often lack those very important foundations upon which reasoned debate can be had - both on the left and right, they are far less able to examine things critically when the evidence points them away from their beliefs, into which they've often invested more emotionally than with reason.

ReputationRep:
    One interesting point seems to be that the OP believes that working class voters support their left-wing agenda.

This is by no means the case. The poorest in our society are often the most against immigration, so called "equality" and other left-wing policies because they are the ones that suffer the most from them. This is from having spent a ton of time in blue collar employment.

SS

ReputationRep:
    It's not oranges, either. Or tyres.

Forget what it isn't, because it isn't loads of things. The point is that a lot of prejudiced behaviour towards white people is justified as not being racist. It's become a 'get out of jail free' card to excuse racial prejudice, and it's just not acceptable.
    Insulting a white person based on their skin colour, even though it isn't nice or necessary, isn't as bad as insulting a black person based on their skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    My experience is that someone who has had a formal education is much more open minded and has been brought up around intellectual conflict and is much better able to take a more intellectually pragmatic view of difficult discussions. People who haven't been educated in that formal way often lack those very important foundations upon which reasoned debate can be had - both on the left and right, they are far less able to examine things critically when the evidence points them away from their beliefs, into which they've often invested more emotionally than with reason.
    i've never ever been formally taught politics in my whole life, how do i understand it?

- that's another thing btw, keep the working class uneducated about politics to disengage them with it and keep the elite in charge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    One interesting point seems to be that the OP believes that working class voters support their left-wing agenda.

This is by no means the case. The poorest in our society are often the most against immigration, so called "equality" and other left-wing policies because they are the ones that suffer the most from them. This is from having spent a ton of time in blue collar employment.

SS
    I'm not denying working class people are generally quite right-wing. That's because of the politics implemented in this country, and I would know because I used to be one of them. Don't educate people properly about history ( especially African history etc) to maintain racism which is financially advantageous for capitalism.

Racism and other prejudices, created by the elite, divides working class people and makes people blame each other for the problems they are facing, rather than the people that they should be blaming.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not denying working class people are generally quite right-wing. That's because of the politics implemented in this country, and I would know because I used to be one of them. Don't educate people properly about history ( especially African history etc) to maintain racism which is financially advantageous for capitalism.

Racism and other prejudices, created by the elite, divides working class people and makes people blame each other for the problems they are facing, rather than the people that they should be blaming.
    Respectfully, you're patronising as hell.

Working-class people are only right-wing because they're ignorant about history and made to blame each other by the elite? Get off yer high horse.

How about working-class people are right-wing because they've looked at the facts and they've decided to become right-wing....?

SS

ReputationRep:
    Insulting a white person based on their skin colour, even though it isn't nice or necessary, isn't as bad as insulting a black person based on their skin colour.
    As independent acts they are necessarily morally equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    i've never ever been formally taught politics in my whole life, how do i understand it?

- that's another thing btw, keep the working class uneducated about politics to disengage them with it and keep the elite in charge
    Your lack of political education may be why you hold worrying notions about racial prejudice.

And where did I say the working class should be uneducated? I think everyone should have a high level of formal education, nothing else. Critical thinking's clearly not your bag.

ReputationRep:
    My original statement is false only in the most shallow, literal terms. Of course I don't think that a baby leaves the vag holding wads of cash - no one would. Your claim is a completely banal one, therefore.

A person born to rich parents is indubitably better off than someone born to poor parents. Through education, inheritance, investment, allowance et cetera, we are not all born financially equal. That's the nub of the problem. If all you meant was that a baby doesn't leave the womb with money to its name, then everyone here agrees with you - it's just a rather boringly obvious observation.
    Then you shouldn't make silly remarks which are both grammatically and factually incorrect with the meaning you are using.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

In fact, Katie Hopkins should be made an MP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Then you shouldn't make silly remarks which are both grammatically and factually incorrect with the meaning you are using.
    Where was the grammatical error?

And I must apologise for overestimating your addition to this discussion. When you said people weren't born with money, I was rather hoping you were making a more erudite point than simply observing that babies don't exit their mothers holding cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Was your original point that babies don't have some kind of piggy bank inside the womb, thus being born with their own savings, somehow? Was that really your point? This is the thing you've been arguing about over multiple posts? LOL.

Well done Captain Obvious, why don't you tell us some more interesting facts?

I'll spell it out for you: some people are born into money, it was completely obvious to everybody else here that that is what was meant. Sometimes people use linguistic shortcuts to save time when communicating, capiche?

If you're autistic and hence can't help but to take sentences too literally, then I apologise for my mocking post, but the advice I gave should still be helpful for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Bright Eyes)
    Was your original point that babies don't have some kind of piggy bank inside the womb, thus being born with their own savings, somehow? Was that really your point? This is the thing you've been arguing about over multiple posts? LOL.

Well done Captain Obvious, why don't you tell us some more interesting facts?

I'll spell it out for you: some people are born into money, it was completely obvious to everybody else here that that is what was meant. Sometimes people use linguistic shortcuts to save time when communicating, capiche?

If you're autistic and hence can't help but to take sentences too literally, then I apologise for my mocking post, but the advice I gave should still be helpful for you.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he just backed himself into a corner. I don't believe he still thinks he's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    So because someone is working class on minimum wage they know how the world works better than the rich? Why is there such hate from working class directed towards the rich, It makes no sense.
    i dont hate the rich, i hate the elite. big difference

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.