Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should posh people be allowed to be MPs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    The term '******' is/was used in a perjorative way towards black people. As was 'cracker', though that term has a locational aspect as well.

And by even bringing up these two terms, you've set up a side-discussion with little relevance to the issue. You seem to give the impression that racial prejudice expressed towards white people is more acceptable in itself than the same behaviour directed to a black person.
    it's not acceptable at all, it's just not as bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    it's not acceptable at all, it's just not as bad
    ...yeah, that's what I said. 'More acceptable'. Not the most critical of thinkers, then.

So why is racial prejudice against one person bad but racial prejudice against another person not as bad.

ReputationRep:
    ...yeah, that's what I said. 'More acceptable'. Not the most critical of thinkers, then.

So why is racial prejudice against one person bad but racial prejudice against another person not as bad.
    because black people are oppressed, white people are not. do u think it's worse to call a straight person a hetero or a gay person a ******?

ReputationRep:
    Smart enough to back down. Not smart enough to win.
    Smart enough to recognise someone who thinks they are intelligent when they aren't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Smart enough to recognise someone who thinks they are intelligent when they aren't
    Look mate, you made a stupid comment that others have picked you up on aswell. You either thought we needed reminding that babies were born in their..umm..birthday suits, or you thought that we genuinely thought babies hold cash as they exit their mothers. Whatever you were thinking, you weren't thinking particularly intelligently.

ReputationRep:
    because black people are oppressed, white people are not. do u think it's worse to call a straight person a hetero or a gay person a f aggot?
    This is exactly the problem. By using the structural definition of racism - that black people are to an extent oppressed on a societal level (which I agree with) - and using it as ammunition to defend independent acts of black-on-white racial prejudice, you creating a dangerous moral inequivalence. If a black person prevents me from entering a shop, that is exactly as bad as a white person preventing a black person from entering a shop, and the backdrop of institutionalised/societal racism should have no impact on comparing the two independent acts.

And you've given me the same question as before. Earlier it was 'n1gger' and 'crackers', and now it's 'hetero' and 'f aggot'. Before I answer this (for the second time, by the way), you should change the proposition. The term 'hetero' is clearly inoffensive as it is essentially a literal description of a straight person's sexuality. The term 'f aggot', however, is objectively perjorative, hating, and insulting. So the proposition should have been: What's worse, a straight man beating up a gay man for his sexuality, or a gay man beating up a straight man for his sexuality? The answer is that neither is worse. They are both terrible acts, and the homophobia within society does not one bit make a gay man morally superior for attacking the straight man because of his sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    Should people who went to public school actually be allowed to become politicians? They were born rich, what do they actually know about the way the world works?

Hint: there's only one correct answer and that's no
    The only people who should be allowed to be come politicians are the ones that are elected by the electorate......

Oh look that's the current system.

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should people who went to state schools actually be allowed to be politicians? What a ridiculous question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    The only people who should be allowed to be come politicians are the ones that are elected by the electorate......

Oh look that's the current system.

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    house of lords m8

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly the problem. By using the structural definition of racism - that black people are to an extent oppressed on a societal level (which I agree with) - and using it as ammunition to defend independent acts of black-on-white racial prejudice, you creating a dangerous moral inequivalence. If a black person prevents me from entering a shop, that is exactly as bad as a white person preventing a black person from entering a shop, and the backdrop of institutionalised/societal racism should have no impact on comparing the two independent acts.

And you've given me the same question as before. Earlier it was 'n1gger' and 'crackers', and now it's 'hetero' and 'f aggot'. Before I answer this (for the second time, by the way), you should change the proposition. The term 'hetero' is clearly inoffensive as it is essentially a literal description of a straight person's sexuality. The term 'f aggot', however, is objectively perjorative, hating, and insulting. So the proposition should have been: What's worse, a straight man beating up a gay man for his sexuality, or a gay man beating up a straight man for his sexuality? The answer is that neither is worse. They are both terrible acts, and the homophobia within society does not one bit make a gay man morally superior for attacking the straight man because of his sexuality.
    i never said anything deeper than just insulting a person on the basis of their ethnicity. you are gonna have to do a little bit of independent research before u can understand what im trying to say pally mate pal lad mate

ReputationRep:
    i never said anything deeper than just insulting a person on the basis of their ethnicity. you are gonna have to do a little bit of independent research before u can understand what im trying to say pally mate pal lad mate
    Ah, you're trolling

Gotta say, you genuinely had me haha

Well played!

ReputationRep:
    Should people who went to public school actually be allowed to become politicians? They were born rich, what do they actually know about the way the world works?

Hint: there's only one correct answer and that's no
    There is no reason why people at public schools cannot be politicians. Despite them coming from the middle and upper classes, it doesn't mean that we should prevent them from being politicians as that's absolutely preposterous. Instead, i think politics needs to be promoted to people from the lower classes so that we can live in a society which isn't dominated by the wealthy and the government would be a more accurate representation of people in society e.g. the working class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalayHKG)
    There is no reason why people at public schools cannot be politicians. Despite them coming from the middle and upper classes, it doesn't mean that we should prevent them from being politicians as that's absolutely preposterous. Instead, i think politics needs to be promoted to people from the lower classes so that we can live in a society which isn't dominated by the wealthy and the government would be a more accurate representation of people in society e.g. the working class.
    i agree m8y

ReputationRep:
    That's like saying should poor people be able too go to uni

ReputationRep:
    house of lords m8
    House of Lords can only ask parliament to amend legislation.

Parliament can do what it likes, the point still stands

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    House of Lords can only ask parliament to amend legislation.

Parliament can do what it likes, the point still stands

Posted from TSR Mobile
    they can reject legislation too, as shown with the tax credits bill (in this case it was a good thing, though)

ReputationRep:
    they can reject legislation too, as shown with the tax credits bill (in this case it was a good thing, though)
    They didn't reject it they don't have that power they simply sent it back to the commons to 'look again'.

Osbourne didn't want to

1. Risk a vote in parliament as there were conservative rebels

2. Use up too much political capital on legislation which is pointless in a couple of years when universal credit is fully rolled out.

As a final point it House of Commons has many different procedures to put legislation through.

The lords literally has no power if parliament wants something done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i think they're should be a limit

its good to see people like alan johnson, john prescott...people who are just not from that sort of group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    i think they're should be a limit

its good to see people like alan johnson, john prescott...people who are just not from that sort of group
    *I *there *It's *Alan *Johnson *John *Prescott *aren't from
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I see your point

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.