Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm planning on applying to Utrecht University to study the masters in Gender Studies starting in 2017 when I will be 25 (I'm 23 currently). All of my best mates are graduates but only 1 has taken a masters and she is about to finish at Cambridge.

I know this worry probably seems ridiculous and already know everyone will say it's fine, but will I feel old at 25? Or is that quite a normal age to take a masters?

Whether I take it here or abroad I need the time to save so I have no choice but I'm still curious!

Thanks
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGeeson)
    Hi!

I'm planning on applying to Utrecht University to study the masters in Gender Studies starting in 2017 when I will be 25 (I'm 23 currently). All of my best mates are graduates but only 1 has taken a masters and she is about to finish at Cambridge.

I know this worry probably seems ridiculous and already know everyone will say it's fine, but will I feel old at 25? Or is that quite a normal age to take a masters?

Whether I take it here or abroad I need the time to save so I have no choice but I'm still curious!

Thanks
    Seems normal to me. Lots of people do them immediately after a three year degree, for others it's after a four year degree. Others will take time out after so much edu and come back to it like you. Then there are loads of older people like me (34!) who want to do a masters alongside our careers.

So I'd say you're fine

Also by early 20s, everyone seems closer in age anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Starting mine at 28, ex gf started at 30, you're fine

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was more self-assured than to worry about this but obviously not! Either way you guys have reassured me, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Started mine aged 46! Only 5 full-timers on my course, ranging from 21-28, plus one part-timer who was a retiree in his late sixties. We all got on really well and have stayed in touch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.