Women charged more on ‘sexist’ high street

Watch
The Fuhrer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gh-street.html

So this was on front page of the Metro today iirc.

Women are charged up to twice as much as men for almost identical products on the ‘sexist’ High Street, a study revealed.

The review of hundreds of items found those targeted at women were almost exclusively more expensive than the male equivalent.

Among the examples Tesco was found to charge double the price for ten disposable razors – with the only apparent difference being that they are pink

It's not sexism, it's called price discrimination. The fact of the matter is women on the whole are more indifferent to price than men (i.e. a woman is more likely to buy something even its its expensive than a man is, because women are material creatures), so ofc you should charge them more.

Companies are not being sexist, they are just trying to maximise their profits like any company would.If women dont want to be charged more than men, they need to stop being so indifferent to pricing.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Companies care not for equality, they care for profit. If y'all keep buyin the overpriced razors they gon keep charging smh

The pens thing is daft tho, just buy a plain black pen. They be chargin you more 'cause you tryna be fancy for no good reason.
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP is correct; it's not sexist, people have proven to have these habits and companies simply capitalised on them. It is women's own fault for being willing to pay more for certain colours etc. (and whatever other groups of people - I'm sure there's countless examples of exactly the opposite)

It's really, really, simple to just pick up a pack of men's razors instead (as many women do anyway as they argue not only are they cheaper but better). Change buying habits, and the prices will change..
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Companies care not for equality, they care for profit. If y'all keep buyin the overpriced razors they gon keep charging smh

The pens thing is daft tho, just buy a plain black pen. They be chargin you more 'cause you tryna be fancy for no good reason.
The other cheaper razors aren't in the same aisle and idk, it might sound silly, but it's never dawned on me to look in the man aisle when buying razors.

In my experience tho, men are acc more willing to spend ridiculous amounts. All the girls I know are obsessed with getting bargains.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Fuhrer)

[/size]

It's not sexism, it's called price discrimination. The fact of the matter is women on the whole are more indifferent to price than men (i.e. a woman is more likely to buy something even its its expensive than a man is, because women are material creatures), so ofc you should charge them more.

Companies are not being sexist, they are just trying to maximise their profits like any company would.If women dont want to be charged more than men, they need to stop being so indifferent to pricing.
This is why you buy shaving foam/ razers etc aimed at men, not women
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

[/size]

The review of hundreds of items found those targeted at women were almost exclusively more expensive than the male equivalent.

Buy the male equivalent then fools. That fancy pink Venus razor? Buy cheaper man one thats not pink and fancy
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IFoundWonderland)
The other cheaper razors aren't in the same aisle and idk, it might sound silly, but it's never dawned on me to look in the man aisle when buying razors.

In my experience tho, men are acc more willing to spend ridiculous amounts. All the girls I know are obsessed with getting bargains.
Seeing as I've never bothered to look in the women's aisle for stuff I can understand why lasses aren't that fussed with looking in the men's aisle for cheaper stuff.

My experience of the willingness to spend between the genders tends to be the opposite to yours, although perhaps the girls just don't know how to get hold of cheaper stuff given that they never bother to check the men's aisle.
rap11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

[/size]

But it is sexist if they charge more because of the sex, This is a fact.
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rap11)
But it is sexist if they charge more because of the sex, This is a fact.
I think you may want to check the definition of sexism.
Charging more for a certain colour because it sells more and increases their profit isn't sexism, it's basic business principles (more inelastic PED and all that).
rap11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inazuma)
I think you may want to check the definition of sexism.
Charging more for a certain colour because it sells more and increases their profit isn't sexism, it's basic business principles (more inelastic PED and all that).
sexism: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex

The sellers are clearly discriminating against women as they know that they can charge women more and get away with it as women will still be willing to buy at a high price. It might be a smart market move in terms of profit but it is still based on the definition of sexism.

ooooppppss did someone just get owned? Shut the door on your way out love.
jshep000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Price discrimination is all it is. To call it sexist just shows how much they try to pull the sexism card for everything Classic Daily Mail article though.
rap11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jshep000)
Price discrimination is all it is. To call it sexist just shows how much they try to pull the sexism card for everything Classic Daily Mail article though.
Any discrimination based on sex is sexism genius.

Do you even logic?
jshep000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rap11)
Any discrimination based on sex is sexism genius.

Do you even logic?
Tears, all I see is tears fam
.Name:  bootcuts.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  30.7 KB
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rap11)
sexism: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex

The sellers are clearly discriminating against women as they know that they can charge women more and get away with it as women will still be willing to buy at a high price. It might be a smart market move in terms of profit but it is still based on the definition of sexism.

ooooppppss did someone just get owned? Shut the door on your way out love.
It's not on the basis of sex, it's on the basis it sells. It's not women exclusively at all either.
Otherwise any product aimed at a particular group or sex is sexist or prejudiced. Are Yorkie bars sexist too? Is CoD sexist for capitalising on a primarily male obsession? Are pale foundation brands sexist for ignoring women of colour? Is makeup itself sexist for not targeting itself at men?

Now, if you suggest that all of the above and more is sexist, then you seriously need to get a life and get out more, and stop taking offence to everything.

It's also not sexist because no-one is forcing people to buy anything. If someone chooses to pay a higher price for a pink razor or pen, that is their prerogative. If they choose to go for the cheaper option, also their prerogative.
It's a free market, with free choice; so not sexist at all.
(Now if I held a gun to your head and said all women can ONLY buy the expensive pink stuff, that would be sexist)

[Also pal, you can't say your own post 'owned' someone else. Arrogant, much?]
jshep000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not on the basis of sex, it's on the basis it sells. It's not women exclusively at all either.
Otherwise any product aimed at a particular group or sex is sexist or prejudiced. Are Yorkie bars sexist too? Is CoD sexist for capitalising on a primarily male obsession? Are pale foundation brands sexist for ignoring women of colour? Is makeup itself sexist for not targeting itself at men?

Now, if you suggest that all of the above and more is sexist, then you seriously need to get a life and get out more, and stop taking offence to everything.

It's also not sexist because no-one is forcing people to buy anything. If someone chooses to pay a higher price for a pink razor or pen, that is their prerogative. If they choose to go for the cheaper option, also their prerogative.
(Now if I held a gun to your head and said all women can ONLY buy the expensive pink stuff, that would be sexist)

TIL target groups = sexism. Rap11 just leave m8 you've been owned
rap11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Listen love. If a company chooses to make a price higher for a particular buyer because of their sex then it is sexes. This is a fact- not an opinion. Don't you like logic or something?

Aiming a particular product at a group is not sexist as every product is aimed at a particular audience.

I need to get a life? For stating facts? I am not even offended I am just stating the truth.

lol who the hell let you out of the kitchen? Get back in there nobody want to here your dumbass tantrums. :rolleyes:
rap11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
TIL target groups = sexism. Rap11 just leave m8 you've been owned
Shut up jack.
jshep000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rap11)
Shut up jack.
Jog on you animal
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's all about the moniez
rap11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Jog on you animal

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.17%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.31%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (126)
37.95%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.25%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.31%

Watched Threads