(Original post by tessachase)
    It's written by a male author btw
    1. Is it egalitarian or feminist?
    2. How many times they mention the mythical gender pay gap
    3. Either of the above

ReputationRep:
    What is it called and who by? I can take a look and tell you what you should look for

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as a 'piece of feminist literature' unless it is obviously a philosophical novel or piece of non-fiction. You can apply feminist critical theory to any novel though.

ReputationRep:
    What's the book?

Look at:

- how women are represented?
    - are they strong characters?
    - do they have their own story or are they merely accessories to the male characters?
    - is there a real examination of the female perspective/female experience?
    - what is the historical context of the book?
    - what social changes were happening when it was written?
    - what did the writer think about women's issues?

ReputationRep:
    Well originally I wanted to use David Campton's The Cagebirds, but then my supervisor advised me to switch gears to Caryl Churchill's Top Girls. I'll be looking at how the characters/plot of the play connect to the theme of power.
    (Original post by PurplePixie96)
    What is it called and who by? I can take a look and tell you what you should look for
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well originally I wanted to use David Campton's The Cagebirds, but then my supervisor advised me to switch gears to Caryl Churchill's Top Girls. I'll be looking at how the characters/plot of the play connect to the theme of power.
    A really good play! I studied it during my first year at uni!

As someone correctly stated, there is no such thing as a "feminist" piece of literature unless it's of a philosophical standpoint. You can apply feminist critical theory to a text though.

For this particular play, you and look at the treatment of women and society and/or how they are presented or even better, how they are misrepresented in society.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to help but I've never read it. Could you summarize it? I double majored in History and Women's Studies, taking advanced feminist philosophy, so maybe I can assist..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assan)
    I'd like to help but I've never read it. Could you summarize it? I double majored in History and Women's Studies, taking advanced feminist philosophy, so maybe I can assist..
    Thanks for offering to help! I'm now trying to relate the idea of the argument "the personal is political" to the idea of power in female characters, but I don't feel well-informed enough (don't understand it well)...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.