How many hours of work at home per GCSE subject?

Watch
The1AndOnly1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I have a feeling that the work I am currently putting in is not enough to do extremely well at GCSE. So I want the ask the TSR community this question:

How many hours should I spend on one GCSE subject per week in order to get an A* in that subject?

Let's say I don't find any subject harder than another ( I have no preference) and the amount of hours also includes homework as well as revision.

Thanks for reading!

Posted from TSR Mobile

cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The1AndOnly1)
Hi,
I have a feeling that the work I am currently putting in is not enough to do extremely well at GCSE. So I want the ask the TSR community this question:

How many hours should I spend on one GCSE subject per week in order to get an A* in that subject?

Let's say I don't find any subject harder than another ( I have no preference) and the amount of hours also includes homework as well as revision.

Thanks for reading!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh, it's more about how effectively you revise rather than the number of hours you do. Someone could spend over 7 hours on one subject and not understand or recall a single thing and another person could spend 1 hour of their time effectively revising their subjects which they then can recall.

Do as much as you can, but don't overwork yourself as that won't get you anywhere
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thanks for reading!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh, it's more about how effectively you revise rather than the number of hours you do. Someone could spend over 7 hours on one subject and not understand or recall a single thing and another person could spend 1 hour of their time effectively revising their subjects which they then can recall.

Do as much as you can, but don't overwork yourself as that won't get you anywhere
Trudi98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Remember that the amount of revision you need to get a top grade really differs from person to person, so don't compare yourself to everyone else, but by this I don't mean you shouldn't take into account what everyone else is doing. Like if you were spending 5 hours or even absolutely no time each night revising and everyone else was considerably different from, then maybe you should rethink how much time for revision you need. In order to ensure you do really well at GCSE make sure you understand after each lesson what you learnt in that lesson. Homework can recall information from that class, but doing homework alone doesn't mean you'll necessarily understand what you have learnt.

I suggest maybe taking 10-30 mins to go over what you have learnt in class from that day, depending on how challenging you found it to understand. And make sure you test yourself afterwards, which I did using flashcards.

Make the most of your mocks too, this is the best time to work out what revision techniques work for you and once you have found out what they are, you can apply them to almost all the tests you'll sit, even in later life.

Best of Luck!
The1AndOnly1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Trudi98)
Hi,

Remember that the amount of revision you need to get a top grade really differs from person to person, so don't compare yourself to everyone else, but by this I don't mean you shouldn't take into account what everyone else is doing. Like if you were spending 5 hours or even absolutely no time each night revising and everyone else was considerably different from, then maybe you should rethink how much time for revision you need. In order to ensure you do really well at GCSE make sure you understand after each lesson what you learnt in that lesson. Homework can recall information from that class, but doing homework alone doesn't mean you'll necessarily understand what you have learnt.

I suggest maybe taking 10-30 mins to go over what you have learnt in class from that day, depending on how challenging you found it to understand. And make sure you test yourself afterwards, which I did using flashcards.

Make the most of your mocks too, this is the best time to work out what revision techniques work for you and once you have found out what they are, you can apply them to almost all the tests you'll sit, even in later life.

Best of Luck!
So what did you guys do? How many hours did you spend into committed revision?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trudi98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So what did you guys do? How many hours did you spend into committed revision?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it depended on the subject, so languages I did about 2 hours each week (i did Spanish and German) alternating between them. When it came to stuff I found really difficult, like science for me, I did 10-30 mins on each topic (I did AQA separate sciences and each topic was like P1.1 then P1.2, if you do that exam board you might know what I mean), the ones I picked up straight away I focused less on, and the more challenging things I went over again and again. English is harder to revise for, so I suggest going over exam technique, for about maybe 2 hours in total, and then review your notes when you need to. When it comes to the rest, like literature and poetry, I'd say do about 1 hours English revision each 1-2 weeks and increase it the closer you get to the exams. I did that an got an A in English language and an A* in Literature.

the revision time you need really varies, but we were told to spend about two and a half hours each night doing Homework and revision. Workout what you find difficult and what you don't and then spread out your time according to this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
27.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (100)
38.31%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.45%

Watched Threads