Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I graduated this year in BA German and Linguistics and after a complete reevaluation of what I want to do, I have decided that my preferred subject for postgraduate study would be Astrophysics. I understand that this seems as though this is a decision made completely out of the blue, and I have little proof for the fact that it was my initial preference for undergraduate study, and a last-minute decision led me to pursue languages instead. Academically my record is not bad, having interviewed at Oxford prior to choosing Queen Mary and then graduating with a high grade and a prize for being one of the top of my German class. I studied Physics and Mathematics at A-Level, and I did well in both. I am currently working as a project assistant at LSE in the department of Managerial Economics. I don't want my record to show that I am constantly flitting from one subject to another, although understandably it comes off that way!

What I'm asking is, for those familiar with the subject, do I have any chance of getting in if the only requirement I fill is the fact that I studied the required subjects during my A-Levels? Is there any point in applying or should I reevaluate my decision again? It is genuinely what I believe I could excel in, and I read up on the subject as regularly as I can for my own enjoyment.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    No chance, you lack 2 years worth of university mathematics where you'll be covering the mathematics behind general relativity ect.

ReputationRep:
    You need to study a Bsc in physics or astrophysics first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpaceCaptain)
    I graduated this year in BA German and Linguistics and after a complete reevaluation of what I want to do, I have decided that my preferred subject for postgraduate study would be Astrophysics. I understand that this seems as though this is a decision made completely out of the blue, and I have little proof for the fact that it was my initial preference for undergraduate study, and a last-minute decision led me to pursue languages instead. Academically my record is not bad, having interviewed at Oxford prior to choosing Queen Mary and then graduating with a high grade and a prize for being one of the top of my German class. I studied Physics and Mathematics at A-Level, and I did well in both. I am currently working as a project assistant at LSE in the department of Managerial Economics. I don't want my record to show that I am constantly flitting from one subject to another, although understandably it comes off that way!

What I'm asking is, for those familiar with the subject, do I have any chance of getting in if the only requirement I fill is the fact that I studied the required subjects during my A-Levels? Is there any point in applying or should I reevaluate my decision again? It is genuinely what I believe I could excel in, and I read up on the subject as regularly as I can for my own enjoyment.

Thanks for any help.
    Is this a serious question? What do you think people do for 3/4 years on a physics degree? Sit around and recover A-level knowledge? You're missing at least 2 years worth of solid mathematical and physical knowledge grounding and that's if you want to stay away from the more mathsy side of it all. You would need to cover ALOT of maths and actual physics (anything covered in A-level physics you can considered useless past the first few weeks of first year physics) before you could apply for a masters in astro physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.