Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

SHOCKING: Heterosexual couple challenge civil partnerships ban. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35352629

How despicable that two straight and privileged individuals want to have the same rights as oppressed homosexuals! Civil partnerships should be reserved for same sex couples. #Equality.
    • Welcome Squad

Hey,

I do understand how this can raise some frustration from others, as homosexuals may want to get married and not just have their togetherness 'recognised' on paper.

At the same time I understand the heterosexual couple; you don't need to get married to show that you're in love, having it recognised would just do :dontknow:

Hopefully other people will see this and give their thoughts on this

ReputationRep:
    Civil partnerships were a stop gap to gay marriage and aren't necessary any more. Get rid of them altogether and convert any existing ones to marriages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    Civil partnerships were a stop gap to gay marriage and aren't necessary any more. Get rid of them altogether and convert any existing ones to marriages.
    What if a civil partnership couple don't want to get married? Are we going to just remove their civil partnership?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt_Haytham)
    What if a civil partnership couple don't want to get married? Are we going to just remove their civil partnership?
    It wouldn't be a choice, the government would just convert them officially. Is there actually any difference between a civil partnership and a marriage other than the name?

Alternatively we could just close new registrations and let existing civil partnerships continue as is. Eventually, in about 50 years or so there would be no civil partnerships left.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of a single same-sex couple who believe in civil partnerships not being available to opposite-sex ones. Blame the Government, not the gays!

ReputationRep:
    mein GOD how DARE they
    idiotic minions ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why the would want to if it's basically the same as marriage but why shouldn't they be able to enter into a civil partnership if that's truly what they want? It is kind of rich how they're playing the victim by acting like they are being treated as unequal in comparison to homosexual couples though

ReputationRep:
    Not that I think the issue is as big as they're making out but why are people replying saying they don't understand why they want a legal non-marriage partnership....they explain it pretty damn simply tbf. They're against the historic message of marriage, Mr & Mrs, women being the property of the man etc. Like I say they're blowing it out of proportion IMO as marriage now does not represent what it did and you can customize vows however you wish, but if they want a civil partnership then I really can't see what the problem is, give them the damn form lol.

ReputationRep:
    Seems pretty reasonable to be honest, the only reason that it hasn't already been done is because there has been no particular demand for it. Unlike gay marriage I highly doubt there are any groups that would actually be opposed to this, so this challenge would probably work; the only reason it wouldn't would be due to sheer apathy because of lack of demand.

ReputationRep:
    If people truly want equality then civil partnerships should be available to heterosexual couples.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.