Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I've just decided to leave uni for a lot of personal reasons that I shan't bore anyone with. I was in my third way, but that's by the by...
    However, after a year or so out I think I'd like to go back and do mental health nursing.
    Of course, I still have the student loans. And what not from my last attempt at uni to pay off and I doubt I'll be eligible for another one for a different degree.
    Although I have heard somewhere that paying for a nursing degree is funded by the nhs... Am I right in thinking that? Or is it just hear say? Do I have to win the lottery in order to go back to uni?
    Thanks in advanced!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elopop)
    Hi there,
    I've just decided to leave uni for a lot of personal reasons that I shan't bore anyone with. I was in my third way, but that's by the by...
    However, after a year or so out I think I'd like to go back and do mental health nursing.
    Of course, I still have the student loans. And what not from my last attempt at uni to pay off and I doubt I'll be eligible for another one for a different degree.
    Although I have heard somewhere that paying for a nursing degree is funded by the nhs... Am I right in thinking that? Or is it just hear say? Do I have to win the lottery in order to go back to uni?
    Thanks in advanced!
    Hi there. Saw this on an unanswered thread board. Basically it depends on a few individual factors and where you are applying to, but essentially you should be eligible for funding for a health profession course. Quote direct from the Gov.uk website: If you’re studying medicine, dentistry, nursing or a healthcare course in England, you may be eligible for an annual payment from the NHS to help with your study and living costs (known as a ‘bursary’). You don’t have to pay your NHS bursary back

The level of support depends on where you are studying (there's additional in-London figures for example) but you can find details on the website: https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/overview

I would make you aware that there have been talks about this funding and it may be changed (information is only accurate for this coming year and from 2017 may be different) so keep your ear to the ground for that if you're not applying this year. A similar scheme is set up if studying in Scotland through SAAS rather than the NHS, but the funding figures overall are similar. Again though, this is subject to change.
    Charlotte
    (Official QMU TSR Rep)

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately the funding for NHS courses is set to be cut from August 2017, so you would have to get in for either Sept 2016 or Feb 2017 intake to be funded (main application deadline has passed).

From 2017, you should be able to get a second student loan to cover previously NHS funded courses (it's still being decided). As payments are based on how much you earn, rather than how much you owe, then this is unlikely to make much difference in the long run as it's written off after 30years anyway.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question. I am a second year student at a scottish university, and i have decided to change my course. I will have to repeat second year, I was wondering how this will affect my tuition fee eligibility and how many years funding i would get.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unigirlinamess)
    I have a quick question. I am a second year student at a scottish university, and i have decided to change my course. I will have to repeat second year, I was wondering how this will affect my tuition fee eligibility and how many years funding i would get.
    Hi there. It may depend on a number of factors, but generally speaking you would be eligible for three years of funding for another degree (you are able to gain a 'learner journey +1', which is 4 years +1 'false start' year. If you've used 2 years already, you should be able to get 3 years for 2 further years plus the false start year - make sense?)

To be completely sure, check with SAAS. They've changed their call centre so you will get through to someone quickly if you give them a call!
    Charlotte
    (Official QMU TSR Rep)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.