Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was this a panic attack? Watch

Announcements

Yesterday in a mock exam, something really strange happened to me that has never happened before. I've always been the type to get really stressed about exams, not get much sleep for worrying, not being able to eat etc during the exam period, but yesterday it was in the middle of the exam and I just started freaking out.

I went really hot, I couldn't hear anything except my heart beat, I felt really sick, my heart was pumping really hard and quickly, I was breathing quickly and I completely forgot everything, not just the I had revised, but simple things like how to form a sentence.

All of this made me panic more and felt like I had to get out of the exam room or else I was going to explode (not literally, but I don't know how else to describe it) One of the invigilators noticed something was wrong, so they took me out of the exam and my head of year sent me home to 'calm down'.

So I'm wondering, does this sound like I had a panic attack? I hope that I didn't as I feel like that would make me worry even more. And does anyone have any advice about how I can prevent this from happening again? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is a panic attack caused by your "always being the type to get really stressed about exams". Let that be a lesson to you. Prepare.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Yesterday in a mock exam, something really strange happened to me that has never happened before. I've always been the type to get really stressed about exams, not get much sleep for worrying, not being able to eat etc during the exam period, but yesterday it was in the middle of the exam and I just started freaking out.

I went really hot, I couldn't hear anything except my heart beat, I felt really sick, my heart was pumping really hard and quickly, I was breathing quickly and I completely forgot everything, not just the I had revised, but simple things like how to form a sentence.

All of this made me panic more and felt like I had to get out of the exam room or else I was going to explode (not literally, but I don't know how else to describe it) One of the invigilators noticed something was wrong, so they took me out of the exam and my head of year sent me home to 'calm down'.

So I'm wondering, does this sound like I had a panic attack? I hope that I didn't as I feel like that would make me worry even more. And does anyone have any advice about how I can prevent this from happening again? Thanks
    It's possible it's a panic attack but I don't think you should worry about that too much. The main thing is that you can work towards overcoming it. I've felt like that before, except I managed to snap out of it around two minutes after I felt it. I had initially thought it was because of dehydration, a lack of food and stress. When I revise, I generally focus completely on the work and forget about myself - I generally didn't eat or drink anything until I was done. After I had experienced this a few times, I decided to make sure there was food and drinks at hand when I revised so I wouldn't miss out on that. I'd also recommend taking a water bottle into the exam. I've found that taking a sip of water helps me to refocus my concentration if I feel too tired or stressed. I've managed to come to terms that I don't need to stress out so much. I do still get more stressed that a lot of other people, but it's gradually getting better which helps a lot with exams.
    If you really think this is a problem for you, it might be best to see your gp. I hope that helps you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.