Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calls for Oscar boycott over lack of non-white nominees Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    You could singlehandedly bring an end to all world conflict.
    Yeah probably.

ReputationRep:
    If blacks or other minorities aren't good enough to be nominated then tough ****.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    The lack of diversity does seem to me to be a problem - the diversity in the Oscars is in sharp contrast to the Golden Globes or the Actors' Guild Awards, in which a number of black actors and actresses were nominated for awards, so the claim that people have been picked solely based on their acting merits for the Oscars seems suspicious.
    Which actors or actresses do you think should have been nominated? I've seen the controversy but no one seems to be putting out who should have been nominated. The Oscars are meant to be the pinnacle of film achievement, I'd rather not see that tainted with token nominations. It's belittling to everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how no one complains about the vast underrepresentation of whites (and Asians and Hispanics, for that matter) in the NBA or NFL isn't it?

Don't for one minute believe that those calling for more 'diversity' don't have their own self interest in mind. If they were truly principled, they'd be decrying a whole range of other positive areas where blacks are grossly overrepresented such as sports and music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    Coloured actors rarely get involved in huge Oscar potential roles compared to white actors,
    Because they are not given the opportunity. And no one says 'coloured', its ethnic minorities or BME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    It's funny how no one complains about the vast underrepresentation of whites (and Asians and Hispanics, for that matter) in the NBA or NFL isn't it?

Don't for one minute believe that those calling for more 'diversity' don't have their own self interest in mind. If they were truly principled, they'd be decrying a whole range of other positive areas where blacks are grossly overrepresented such as sports and music.
    Then why is there hardly no black nominations for the Brits awards either???? Please explain.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering which black or non-white actors/actresses deserved an Oscar nomination over the white Oscar nominations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ionically)
    I struggle to believe that anyone is really this dense. :rolleyes: It's not that there aren't a plethora of extremely talented actors/actresses who are PoC. It's not their failure that results in them not being nominated, it's the lack of opportunities and Oscar-worthy roles for PoC. Even if we pretend that such roles exist, the fact that the majority of the Oscar nomination panel are white, and predominately male doesn't allow for a representative and fair process - given that people typically enjoy and engage with film characters more if they can see themselves in such roles.

Do you really think that Halle Berry is the only black woman to ever give an Oscar-winning performance? Lmao.
    This argument again? If someone cant see themselves in a role then they cant engage? By that logic in order to make money - which all businesses are fundamentally driven by - Hollywood would staff its films exclusively with white people as their predominant markets are white (America and UK/Europe) as these are countries with the most expendable income. If this was the case then Star Wars wouldnt have been a box office smash hit because no latinos or Asians or Whites were included so they wouldnt watch it, it seems like nothing more than projection. YOU wont watch a film without PoC because YOU are hypersensitive to race so seeing white people to you implies degradation of black people which is a sad indictment of your own mindset. Perhaps - and hear me out here - the judgement is made on merit and white people are the majority because they are the majority population. War horse won awards and it was about WW1 Black Beauty so how does that fit into your idea, were there horses on the selection panel?

Sometimes it doesn't make sense necessarily. DiCaprio still somehow hasn't won an Oscar despite his undeniable ability but i don't care because i don't consider colour an important aspect of the criteria. I love Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Terry Crews and Eddie Murphy among others, not because they're black or white, but because they're good. Judging people by who they are and not what they are is ridiculous, particularly when applying an individual situation of merit to their inherent characteristics. I mention black actors i like to make the point that their colour is incidental, i could just as easily produce a list of most if not all demographics in this manner because race does not define ability so a cross section is represented.

(Original post by Silver Arrow)
    ITT: white people pretend to be victims. OFC there's a problem. I bet the people who have no problem with this also think that racism doesn't exist.
    What white people, when? Any proof? Ah a false dichotomy. I love those.

ReputationRep:
    They always hate on Blacks especially look what Sony said about Denzel Washington that he should not star in lead roles because he is Black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxAminah)
    No black or minority actors have been nominated in the four acting categories for this year's Academy Awards. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and Black members make up about 2% of the Academy, and Latino members less than 2%.

Boone Isaacs praised the "wonderful work" of the nominees but said she was "heartbroken" at the lack of diversity.

Elba starred in the Netflix film Beasts of No Nation :

He wrote: "To my Academy colleagues, WE HAVE TO DO BETTER. Period. The reason the rest of the world looks at us like we have no clue is because in 2016 it's a complete embarrassment to say that the heights of cinematic achievement have only been reached by white people. I repeat - it's embarrassing. It's unfair to the performers of colour who sacrificed so much, laid it all on the line AND DELIVERED with their projects this year."

I think it's stupid and their were amzaing Black actors this year who should have been picked and What do you guys think ?
    Why has only taken the reveal of the Oscar nominees for all this uproar? They weren't nominated because they weren't in main roles for blockbuster movies.

It's a disgrace, they should of complained months - even years ago, that they weren't getting better parts and they want change now instead of waiting for evidence. It shouldn't take this situation for complaints to be made...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    The problem lies in Hollywood rather than The Oscars. All the Oscar-bait films this year had white protagonists (looking at you, Danish Girl and The Revenant).

ReputationRep:
    "No nominations? But we're black! Blaaaaaaaaaaack!"

It's getting so ****ing boring.

ReputationRep:
    Amused by people trying to defend the Oscars by claiming it's based on merit. I take it people are ignorant of the millions of dollars spent on PR by film companies to get the right people to vote for the right films.

ReputationRep:
    The race card expired in 2015 people, let's not bring it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ionically)
    1) White wasn't a colour when people were segregated for being 'coloured' and it's not a colour for the purpose of referring to people of colour.

2) There clearly is a problem. White people aren't some holy grail of talent superior to others in acting.

3) MOBO is for the celebration of black artists, which is needed because other awards fail to celebrate the achievements of black people sufficiently, as demonstrated by the lack of diversity in the Oscar nominations.

4) You can't be racist to white people, white people benefit because of their skin colour. Reverse racism is not a thing. Of course you can be prejudiced, however racism would mean that white people suffer at the hands of society, based on institutional and systemic factors, which is simply not true.
    And you call me dense.
    Reverse racism isn't a thing because there is no such thing as reverse racism it is simply racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Amused by people trying to defend the Oscars by claiming it's based on merit. I take it people are ignorant of the millions of dollars spent on PR by film companies to get the right people to vote for the right films.
    Of course it is based on marketing thats part of the point, its not because of racism as some people believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Jews run Hollywood.

This is not a white - black issue.

Go deeper
    Care to elaborate or are you a conspiracy theorist?

ReputationRep:
    There's not enough white nominees at the MOBOS. They need some token honkies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Because they are not given the opportunity. And no one says 'coloured', its ethnic minorities or BME
    How would you know that?

(Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Then why is there hardly no black nominations for the Brits awards either???? Please explain.
    There are always black nominations at the Brits; unlike the MOBO's and BET awards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.