LillyAllen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,
I am currently doing AS psychology and I am really confused about how to answer the 12 marker essay style questions. Can anyone give me any helpful tips and a plan on how to answer them.

Also if anyone has any good modular essays would be beneficial to me

Also does anyone know where do you get marks from writing about a studies. like is it okay to just write the name of the psychologist that did the study and okay for a mark or what?

please help I'm really confused and my teachers are not very helpful

thanks in advance!
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have they mentioned AO1, AO2, AO3 to you?

AO1 is your factual information (key terms, definitions)
AO2 is applying your knowledge/providing evidence (applying an approach to an scenario, or supporting you point with a study which includes something about their methodology/findings/and evaluation).
AO3 is evaluation of everything - critic the methodology of the study you uses, or reject it with another study. EG; sample size, gender bias, culture bias, reductionist? determinist? are the findings representational? Year of study, reliability in general. If the study supports one approach eg the biological model, you can reject it against other approaches.

It depends on what the question is as to what you write and include (AO1/2/3)

Have a look through these past papers and their relevant mark scheme. This will give you an idea of how to get the higher marks, and what examiners are looking for. (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psych...ment-resources)
charlie2466
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi last year i posted example answers for 6-12 mark questions for AQA AS psychology (the link is .. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3255595 ) so maybe they'd help? i know the spec has changed this year but they still might be helpful x
LillyAllen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Findlay6)
Have they mentioned AO1, AO2, AO3 to you?

AO1 is your factual information (key terms, definitions)
AO2 is applying your knowledge/providing evidence (applying an approach to an scenario, or supporting you point with a study which includes something about their methodology/findings/and evaluation).
AO3 is evaluation of everything - critic the methodology of the study you uses, or reject it with another study. EG; sample size, gender bias, culture bias, reductionist? determinist? are the findings representational? Year of study, reliability in general. If the study supports one approach eg the biological model, you can reject it against other approaches.

It depends on what the question is as to what you write and include (AO1/2/3)

Have a look through these past papers and their relevant mark scheme. This will give you an idea of how to get the higher marks, and what examiners are looking for. (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psych...ment-resources)

hi thanks for the reply, you have been so helpful to me!
my teacher did not even tell us anything about A01/2/3 !!
thanks I am going to do some essay questions now=)
LillyAllen
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlieecooperr)
hi last year i posted example answers for 6-12 mark questions for AQA AS psychology (the link is .. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3255595 ) so maybe they'd help? i know the spec has changed this year but they still might be helpful x
Hi Charlieecooperr!
You are a life saver! Your examples are extremely helpful! thanks a ton:london:
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LillyAllen)
hi thanks for the reply, you have been so helpful to me!
my teacher did not even tell us anything about A01/2/3 !!
thanks I am going to do some essay questions now=)
Haha I'm a Psychology teacher myself!
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LillyAllen)
Hi there,
I am currently doing AS psychology and I am really confused about how to answer the 12 marker essay style questions. Can anyone give me any helpful tips and a plan on how to answer them.

Also if anyone has any good modular essays would be beneficial to me

Also does anyone know where do you get marks from writing about a studies. like is it okay to just write the name of the psychologist that did the study and okay for a mark or what?

please help I'm really confused and my teachers are not very helpful

thanks in advance!
At my sixth form we use the PEEL structure to help with evaluation. It stands for Point, Evidence, Evaluation and Link.

Make your Point
Give Evidence for your point
Explain your point
Link your answer back to the question

It might also be helpful to underline keywords e.g. if they ask you to "Outline and Evaluate" it might be worth underlining those two so you remember that you need to cover both parts of the question to get the marks. Often have been times where I answer one part, but forget to answer the other part of the question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?