Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Im in year 12 trying to build up my work exp. at the moment and I was wandering if shadowing my farrier is relevant or if I'm better of trying to do something else?
    Also as I have my own range of pets, including horses am I able to include vet visits as work experience because I find I always learn stuff from them and have recently started writing down stuff about the visits just in case!
    thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Farrier: Sure Will set you apart from the crowd.

Vet work on your own pets: No. By all means write about it on your personal statement, though. This sort of thing would be very hard to quantify anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thats great news thanks oh ok I guess that makes sense really as not everyone can have their own pets! But are there any tips for getting work with the large animal vets because a lot of them are unwilling to have someone follow them because of insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliloo)
    Ah thats great news thanks oh ok I guess that makes sense really as not everyone can have their own pets! But are there any tips for getting work with the large animal vets because a lot of them are unwilling to have someone follow them because of insurance?
    Try as many practices as you can. A lot of them won't take you because of age and insurance, you could always get your own insurance cover (not sure how that would work, as vet students we are covered by the bva). If you've exhausted all your available large animal vets then it's not the end of the world, they understand the difficulties getting placements at large animal practices

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliloo)
    All I would say about LA vets is be prepared to travel... And be persistent and expect to wait... A long time... I applied two years before I got a place for a week but it was such a worthwhile week! Failing vet time get as much LA husbandry in as many varied establishments as you can!
    Good Luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.