Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm dating a close friend - how to get past initial awkwardness/ introduce intimacy? Watch

Announcements

So my best friend and I started dating about two weeks ago, and by that I mean I asked her out to a date and she said yes twice. We both had been developing a mutual interest in each other romantically. We've been friends since we were 13 (we're both 19 now) and I mean best friends in ever sense of the word. There was never anything romantic until recently.

We've gone on two dates now, both of which went very well. We have a lot of fun together and really are at ease with spending time together. We definitely have romantic feelings for each other but I can tell we're both struggling to make the transition from friendship to romantic. It's a little awkward sometimes because neither of us really know how to take the next step and start to introduce intimacy/romantic behaviour into the mix. We're so used to being best friends and behaving in a certain way with each other so its all new!

We havent kissed yet, the most we've done is spend much more time hugging than before and we hold hands. I obviously want to kiss her but get very nervous at the thought (Worried she wont like it, i wont be good enough etc) and we're both also trying to make the transition from friendship to romantic in terms of our conversations, the kind of stuff we talk about. Obviously we still talk about the same things but I guess we're trying to introduce more intimate conversations (about our feelings for each other etc)

Anyone in a similar situation/who has experience with this that can give me some advice/tips on how to get past this transition and move forward?

ReputationRep:
    Just kiss her u pansy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So my best friend and I started dating about two weeks ago, and by that I mean I asked her out to a date and she said yes twice. We both had been developing a mutual interest in each other romantically. We've been friends since we were 13 (we're both 19 now) and I mean best friends in ever sense of the word. There was never anything romantic until recently.

We've gone on two dates now, both of which went very well. We have a lot of fun together and really are at ease with spending time together. We definitely have romantic feelings for each other but I can tell we're both struggling to make the transition from friendship to romantic. It's a little awkward sometimes because neither of us really know how to take the next step and start to introduce intimacy/romantic behaviour into the mix. We're so used to being best friends and behaving in a certain way with each other so its all new!

We havent kissed yet, the most we've done is spend much more time hugging than before and we hold hands. I obviously want to kiss her but get very nervous at the thought (Worried she wont like it, i wont be good enough etc) and we're both also trying to make the transition from friendship to romantic in terms of our conversations, the kind of stuff we talk about. Obviously we still talk about the same things but I guess we're trying to introduce more intimate conversations (about our feelings for each other etc)

Anyone in a similar situation/who has experience with this that can give me some advice/tips on how to get past this transition and move forward?
    what changed?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lol'd hard

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but I find this so sweet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Talking about feelings LOL no wonder you girls were friends for so long. If you want it to be more romantic and less like a friendship speed up the physical intimacy.

(Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    what changed?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lol'd hard
    "lol'd hard"? why?

I guess what changed is that we're just so compatible and at ease with each other, we've always been, we pretty did everything close couples did but without the romantic stff. we care a lot about one another and i guess at some point in the past few months started to wonder 'what if this person is the right one for me?'. we just developed romantic interest and both wanted to explore our feelings and see where it goes in the hope that we will make the transition to a romantic relationship nicely, but we've also been open with each other that if it doesnt work out/turns out that we're better as friends that there wont be any hard feelings and we'll go back to being best friends

(Original post by Das Ich Man)
    Talking about feelings LOL no wonder you girls were friends for so long. If you want it to be more romantic and less like a friendship speed up the physical intimacy.
    lol fair enough haha. Thanks for the advice, i think you're right I guess.
    I would definitely like to take our physical intimacy further but just trying to take things slow without rushing anything.

(Original post by Das Ich Man)
    Just kiss her u pansy
    Haha I guess I'll have to get it over with

ReputationRep:
    Awh, this is kinda adorable... ye, just snuggle up together on the sofa and it'll happen naturally
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    How about watching a film together, cuddling up while watching it, and then when you're sitting upright look her in the eyes and hold her hands and say 'oh gosh, your eyes are so beautiful' and lean in ever so slightly and boom?

(Original post by SeanFM)
    How about watching a film together, cuddling up while watching it, and then when you're sitting upright look her in the eyes and hold her hands and say 'oh gosh, your eyes are so beautiful' and lean in ever so slightly and boom?
    Thats a nice idea Thanks!

(Original post by Alexion)
    Awh, this is kinda adorable... ye, just snuggle up together on the sofa and it'll happen naturally
    Aw shucks, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Damn, you're making me sad here :cry2: damned happy memories...

ReputationRep:
    increase the physical contact, but it has to be romantic in nature so things like brushing the hair out of her face, or slapping dat ass and you need to include sexual compliments, if its awkward after that there's no hope for you guys
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Damn, you're making me sad here :cry2: damned happy memories...
    I'm sorry. Break ups suck. The worst thing to do is to just look back on good memories and get lost in them, even if they bring you temporary comfort.

Just man up, and initiate it. Tell her how sexy she's looking and then just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry. Break ups suck. The worst thing to do is to just look back on good memories and get lost in them, even if they bring you temporary comfort.
    Ye I've been trying to avoid it but reading stuff like this brings it all back :cry:

Is she quite a taciturn and reserved person?
    Has she ever joked about sexual stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Kiss her, man. Enjoy
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Ye I've been trying to avoid it but reading stuff like this brings it all back :cry:
    :console: I can see how it would.

These are the early stages, but believe me when I say that there'll come a day that you get tired of it and even if you think about them you just think 'oh, what a good experience that was' and nothing more. It hurts right now and it bites. :shakecane:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.