Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to make a weights routine? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've seen things like Starting Strength but not sure if they are for me or not. Looked through the FAQ but couldn't find this.

I am not fat but a girl so dont have much muscle. I also want to do gymnastics so I am trying to build strength for that
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NursingStudent93)
    I've seen things like Starting Strength but not sure if they are for me or not. Looked through the FAQ but couldn't find this.

I am not fat but a girl so dont have much muscle. I also want to do gymnastics so I am trying to build strength for that
    Starting Strength is one of the programmes in the FAQ.

It will work well for you; my gf did well on a similar programme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Starting Strength is one of the programmes in the FAQ.

It will work well for you; my gf did well on a similar programme
    Thanks. Would it help with gymnastics specifically? I really want to do this because there are cheap beginner classes nearby, but I know you need to have certain kinds of strength for this. I also dont mind bulking up but I think gymnasts are usually light
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Would it help with gymnastics specifically? I really want to do this because there are cheap beginner classes nearby, but I know you need to have certain kinds of strength for this. I also dont mind bulking up but I think gymnasts are usually light
    Yes - it will put muscle on you

No - Gymnastics completely different, I have no idea what the cross over is like

ReputationRep:
    Yes - it will put muscle on you

No - Gymnastics completely different, I have no idea what the cross over is like
    Are there any good sites which can help me build a routine? (like bodybuilding.com)
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Any strength training will help, though I'm not sure that SS would be optimal for you. Perhaps something like WS4SB might be better, but ultimately if you want to do gymnastics you are going to need to lose weight and become much stronger so any decent routine will help wwith that.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of gymnastics? Like the backflips etc on the mat? Or the horse? Rings? Bars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Any strength training will help, though I'm not sure that SS would be optimal for you. Perhaps something like WS4SB might be better, but ultimately if you want to do gymnastics you are going to need to lose weight and become much stronger so any decent routine will help wwith that.
    Why would Westside for skinny *******s be better?

Yes, I don't mind putting on muscle or working out everything but if it's muscle I don't need (for gymnastics) then it's just excess weight which I think hinders you (AFAIK)

Are there any sites which help you build a routine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    What sort of gymnastics? Like the backflips etc on the mat? Or the horse? Rings? Bars?
    Womens' so beam floor vault and bars.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Are there any good sites which can help me build a routine? (like bodybuilding.com)
    No. You don't know enough to build your own one; use a well recognised beginner programme like SS
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Why would Westside for skinny *******s be better?

Yes, I don't mind putting on muscle or working out everything but if it's muscle I don't need (for gymnastics) then it's just excess weight which I think hinders you (AFAIK)

Are there any sites which help you build a routine?
    Because there are variations which are more focused on athletic performance which may well have more crossover. It is also more varied and thus more engaging.

Any muscle you gain (not a great deal) you will absolutely need so you don't have to worry about that.

Do not make your own routine. Pick whichever of the typical beginner routines looks attractive to you and stick to it (Starting Strength, WS4SB, Stronglifts, All Pro's, heck even Greyskull [not really]).

The important thing for you is going to be getting your nutrition on point and sticking to a routine with built-in progression.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Work on your flexibility in your own time and learn how to do a cartwheel and handstand. Do core work and relearn how to do a forward roll, if possible.

ReputationRep:
    No. You don't know enough to build your own one; use a well recognised beginner programme like SS
    Not to start a big argument but do I have to be an expert to make a routine? I thought if I went to a site like bb.com and picked something for quads, hamstrings etc. then I would have a leg routine... etc. I did this when I was lifting a few years ago

(Original post by ByronicHero)
    Because there are variations which are more focused on athletic performance which may well have more crossover. It is also more varied and thus more engaging.

Any muscle you gain (not a great deal) you will absolutely need so you don't have to worry about that.

Do not make your own routine. Pick whichever of the typical beginner routines looks attractive to you and stick to it (Starting Strength, WS4SB, Stronglifts, All Pro's, heck even Greyskull [not really]).

The important thing for you is going to be getting your nutrition on point and sticking to a routine with built-in progression.
    Will I need all of it for gymnastics then?

OK I'll do that.. it's hard to know how to pick one though.

Is all the nutrition I need to know in the sticky?

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Work on your flexibility in your own time and learn how to do a cartwheel and handstand. Do core work and relearn how to do a forward roll, if possible.
    I'm doing that, any tips on how to get more flexible? I wanted to do forward rolls but the floor of my room is hard wood
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing that, any tips on how to get more flexible? I wanted to do forward rolls but the floor of my room is hard wood
    Stetching

Relax, shake out and try again. Do this daily or for as long as possible. BKS suggests that strength training, because it makes you more aware of your muscles, helps with stretching as you're able to relax certain muscles more easily.

Be safe . Have you ever considered yoga? It's a different sport but can help with the requisite flexibility. Before I started beginner gymnastics classes a few years ago, I used to do bikram yoga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Stetching

Relax, shake out and try again. Do this daily or for as long as possible. BKS suggests that strength training, because it makes you more aware of your muscles, helps with stretching as you're able to relax certain muscles more easily.

Be safe . Have you ever considered yoga? It's a different sport but can help with the requisite flexibility. Before I started beginner gymnastics classes a few years ago, I used to do bikram yoga.
    Can I stretch even if I'm not warmed up? Thanks

Yes I was going to do it, I was thinking of getting a yoga mat. Do you have to warm up for yoga? How long did it take you to learn gymnastics basics?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can I stretch even if I'm not warmed up? Thanks

Yes I was going to do it, I was thinking of getting a yoga mat. Do you have to warm up for yoga? How long did it take you to learn gymnastics basics?
    You can. Static stretching has its uses however I would keep this to a minimum as you don't want to pull any muscles. Your muscles are more pliable when warm so progress would probably be best made when warm. When I had the gymnastics classes, we would begin by making some laps around the training area with perhaps some jumps over obstacles .

Sure, get yoga mat. Could handstand on it too . Well in a sense, yes you warm up for yoga. But not through any vigorous activity. Generally yoga DVDs and instructors will lead you through basic stretches you do to prepare the muscles for what's to come.

Depends on what you mean. I was never that good. I left after a year because I couldn't attend adult classes and the 10 year old nimble girls made me feel unconscious.

It took me a good few months to learn how to do a handstand. A couple weeks initially but then I had to learn to maintain it. From there it was another month till I could do a decent cartwheel. Splits took me a couple of months. Front handsprings a few months from the top as well. Backward role - a couple sessions. It was mainly fear for this and other stuff. I was always able to do a bridge.

Unfortunately my trampoline time was in vain and I moved rather too slowly to be able to do somersaults.

Now, I am a whale and I'm not flexible at all so can't do anything . Can't even touch my toes.

ReputationRep:
    WS4SB is ****, All Pro is even worse

For flexibility I think the two most important things are foam rolling and learning to relax. Lots of mobility restrictions are fixed by foam rolling but you just have to do it properly (ie painfully) which most people don’t do. Learning to relax into a stretch is why most people fail to make much progress. People seem to think that they are trying to force the muscle to lengthen but you want to approach it like getting the muscle to relax into it’s full length. It’s hard to teach someone to do, you kind of need to play around with it. I like to distract myself or think about floating/forward further into the stretch. You also need to not go too far, you feel a bit of a pull, relax into it til it’s comfortable then go further. People tend to find by doing yoga they are relaxed as they stretch so relax into it or the breathing helps them which IMO is how it works for flexibility.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Not to start a big argument but do I have to be an expert to make a routine? I thought if I went to a site like bb.com and picked something for quads, hamstrings etc. then I would have a leg routine... etc. I did this when I was lifting a few years ago

Will I need all of it for gymnastics then?

OK I'll do that.. it's hard to know how to pick one though.

Is all the nutrition I need to know in the sticky?

Realistically the advice in the sticky is - don't go on a stupid diet
    Use Myfitnesspal
    Profit

No you don't have to be an expert in writing routines, but as you're a beginner; you know (no offence) very little and hence it's best to leave it to someone who knows something. The routines in the sticky are great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.