Best places to visit in Scotland? Watch

NursingStudent93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am going solo during the next few months probably for 2 to 3 days, I have never been before

I am definitely visiting Edinburgh. Is Glasgow also worth visiting? Where else is good in this weather?
rap11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
England.
rhiifuu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The weather isn't nice, it's Scotland. Sadly. I'd say Edinburgh would be best. Glasgow, is ok depending on what you're actually going to do there.

I'm from Glasgow
NursingStudent93
Rep:
?
(Original post by rhiifuu)
The weather isn't nice, it's Scotland. Sadly. I'd say Edinburgh would be best. Glasgow, is ok depending on what you're actually going to do there.

I'm from Glasgow
Just solo travel (I'm an international student) so seeing tourist things.

What can you do in Glasgow on your own?
rhiifuu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NursingStudent93)
Just solo travel (I'm an international student) so seeing tourist things.

What can you do in Glasgow on your own?
Hmm, well the Botanic gardens are lovely. But, it was recently snowing (mostly gone now) so it might be a little wet. You can always visit the transport museum, Glasgow uni's museum, many nice places to eat out, Kelvin grove park, shopping centre (George Square) near Queen street and St.Enochs. In addition, the night life is really good.

There's many places to visit it just depends what you're planning on doing.
jamesthehustler
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
go to a distillery
glenfiddich one of the best but just do some searching for any other on your route
mellow_yellow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glasgow is definitely worth a visit! Some things that may interest you:

Museums/History:
Glasgow Cathedral (a medieval cathedral), The Hunterian Museum at University of Glasgow (the main building of the University is also worth a look if you are travelling outside the city centre), Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Riverside Museum, The Science Centre, The Willow Tea Rooms, on Sauchiehall Street (you can see some of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's famous architecture).

Take a ride on the Glasgow Subway, the third oldest underground in the world - it's a quick and easy way to see a range of the city
There is also a sightseeing bus which operates frequently and you hop on/off at various points throughout the city.

Shopping:
The city centre is the best place for a range of shops. The main shopping streets are Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street and Argyle Street (they are all connected but it is a bit of a walk to manage all three!) There are two large shopping centres on these streets: Buchanan Galleries, which is at the top of Buchanan Street, or the St. Enoch Centre which is on Argyle Street.

If you want to go slightly further outside Glasgow, Loch Lomond is worth visiting if you have the time (and the weather is not too bad!)

Hope you have a great time in Scotland and please ask if you want any more information!
NursingStudent93
Rep:
?
(Original post by mellow_yellow)
Glasgow is definitely worth a visit! Some things that may interest you:

Museums/History:
Glasgow Cathedral (a medieval cathedral), The Hunterian Museum at University of Glasgow (the main building of the University is also worth a look if you are travelling outside the city centre), Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Riverside Museum, The Science Centre, The Willow Tea Rooms, on Sauchiehall Street (you can see some of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's famous architecture).

Take a ride on the Glasgow Subway, the third oldest underground in the world - it's a quick and easy way to see a range of the city
There is also a sightseeing bus which operates frequently and you hop on/off at various points throughout the city.

Shopping:
The city centre is the best place for a range of shops. The main shopping streets are Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street and Argyle Street (they are all connected but it is a bit of a walk to manage all three!) There are two large shopping centres on these streets: Buchanan Galleries, which is at the top of Buchanan Street, or the St. Enoch Centre which is on Argyle Street.

If you want to go slightly further outside Glasgow, Loch Lomond is worth visiting if you have the time (and the weather is not too bad!)

Hope you have a great time in Scotland and please ask if you want any more information!
Thank you I will spend a day in Glasgow, are those all good places to go on my own? How about places in Edinburgh?

Where would you recommend outside of Glsagow or Edinburgh? I'm not sure if I want to go to the loch, it looks beautiful but it might be freezing this time of year? (I guess )
ScotDoc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am going solo during the next few months probably for 2 to 3 days, I have never been before

I am definitely visiting Edinburgh. Is Glasgow also worth visiting? Where else is good in this weather?
Hey, if you're interested in History come check out Stirling, it's slap bang in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Stirling's a small city with a sort big village feel to it. We have a really cool castle to check out and also have the Wallace Monument you can climb to get an amazing view of Stirling. 246 steps to the top!

We also have a national park nearby for all that stuff, good for hiking/walking. Also have the Dumyat Hill you can climb!

Also have a small shopping centre in the city centre near the train station but its not that great, you want to go to Glasgow for shopping.
WanderLost225
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pitlochry is beautiful. Pittenweem is this adorable historic fishing village which is worth a visit if you're in the area. Also if you're near Edinburgh, you can get a boat trip to Inchcomb Island which has this amazing medieval abbey ruin, I went there and loved it!
LucyMConnor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In Edinburgh theres lots of shopping, Edinburgh Castle, National Museum of Scotland and St Giles Cathederal that are good places to visit

@NursingStudent93
WanderLost225
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zain-A)
Hey, if you're interested in History come check out Stirling, it's slap bang in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Stirling's a small city with a sort big village feel to it. We have a really cool castle to check out and also have the Wallace Monument you can climb to get an amazing view of Stirling. 246 steps to the top!

We also have a national park nearby for all that stuff, good for hiking/walking. Also have the Dumyat Hill you can climb!

Also have a small shopping centre in the city centre near the train station but its not that great, you want to go to Glasgow for shopping.
I second Stirling- great castle
mellow_yellow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you I will spend a day in Glasgow, are those all good places to go on my own? How about places in Edinburgh?

Where would you recommend outside of Glsagow or Edinburgh? I'm not sure if I want to go to the loch, it looks beautiful but it might be freezing this time of year? (I guess )
Aw good, you will definitely enjoy it! And Glaswegians are (mostly!) friendly people so don't be afraid to ask people for directions or suggestions. Yeah they are all definitely things you can do solo.

I'm from Glasgow and have only been through to Edinburgh a few times so don't know the city as well, but it is a must to visit. It's less grey and industrialised looking than Glasgow and is definitely prettier than Glasgow I would say, but some argue that it doesn't have the same character.

Some points of interest: Princes Street (the main shopping street), Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh also has a hop on/off tour bus if you want to see a good bit of the capital in a short space of time, the Museum of Childhood (free entry), National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh Zoo (slightly outside the city, it holds the only Giant Pandas in the UK), the statue of Greyfriar's Bobby and Dynamic Earth (a science museum)

They are just some of the things you can do in Edinburgh, but they are good if you are travelling alone. It really just depends on how much time you have and how far you would like to travel. Glasgow and Edinburgh are the main cities that are visited by tourists and by train it only takes between 1 and 1.5 hours to go from one to the other. How far would you want to travel away from them? Haha, yes it has been cold recently, but if you are coming towards the end of January or into February is it not unbearable! What country are you from?
NursingStudent93
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nomes24)
Pitlochry is beautiful. Pittenweem is this adorable historic fishing village which is worth a visit if you're in the area. Also if you're near Edinburgh, you can get a boat trip to Inchcomb Island which has this amazing medieval abbey ruin, I went there and loved it!
Thank you Where do I get the boat trip from? I want to do that :gah:

(Original post by LucyMConnor)
In Edinburgh theres lots of shopping, Edinburgh Castle, National Museum of Scotland and St Giles Cathederal that are good places to visit
Thanks Would it look weird if I visited the castle on my own? I don't know any Scottish people
NursingStudent93
Rep:
?
(Original post by mellow_yellow)
Aw good, you will definitely enjoy it! And Glaswegians are (mostly!) friendly people so don't be afraid to ask people for directions or suggestions. Yeah they are all definitely things you can do solo.

I'm from Glasgow and have only been through to Edinburgh a few times so don't know the city as well, but it is a must to visit. It's less grey and industrialised looking than Glasgow and is definitely prettier than Glasgow I would say, but some argue that it doesn't have the same character.

Some points of interest: Princes Street (the main shopping street), Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh also has a hop on/off tour bus if you want to see a good bit of the capital in a short space of time, the Museum of Childhood (free entry), National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh Zoo (slightly outside the city, it holds the only Giant Pandas in the UK), the statue of Greyfriar's Bobby and Dynamic Earth (a science museum)

They are just some of the things you can do in Edinburgh, but they are good if you are travelling alone. It really just depends on how much time you have and how far you would like to travel. Glasgow and Edinburgh are the main cities that are visited by tourists and by train it only takes between 1 and 1.5 hours to go from one to the other. How far would you want to travel away from them? Haha, yes it has been cold recently, but if you are coming towards the end of January or into February is it not unbearable! What country are you from?
I thought the Glaswegians were stereotyped to be unfriendly? (No offence, I just heard it from an American once he must have been wrong :getmecoat: ) I am Italian so we are also stereotyped as rude

That is a great list thank you! Do people ever visit the castle/zoo on their own?

I don't mind travelling quite far away from them if somewhere is a must see. I might go around mid February.
LucyMConnor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks Would it look weird if I visited the castle on my own? I don't know any Scottish people
Lots to see there and its a brilliant place to go though. Lovely views of city
ScotDoc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, people visit castles and zoo's on their own, don't worry about it.
WanderLost225
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you Where do I get the boat trip from? I want to do that :gah:
You're welcome! I just checked google and the boat trip is called Maid of the Forth, and it departs from Hawes Pier in South Queensferry, Edinburgh. You said you were going in the next few months, you may want to take into account when planning your trip that I don't think the trips start up again until Spring- i.e. possibly March? I'm not entirely sure, the website will have more details and the timetable comes out in February. If you could make your trip later, I think that would be for the best anyway r.e. the weather! I've just been up in Edinburgh and confirm it's absolutely freezing, so if you could go in early Spring when it won't be so cold you'll probably have more fun

Also other things to do in Edinburgh: obviously the castle, you can visit the old town which is seriously Diagon-Alley inspired, go to the cafe J K Rowling wrote Harry Potter- The Elephant House - and also the National Museum of Scotland is absolutely fantastic!! Other than that there is great shopping and also you could climb Arthur's Seat. Lastly Dynamic Earth is this great sciencey museum near the Houses of Parliament

Edit: Actually I found http://www.forthtours.com/inchcolm.asp which will do the boat trip from February! It's not the one I went on, but really all you need is boat to get you to the island and then you're set... definitely recommend the trip, it's one of the best things I've ever done and the views of the Forth Bridge are spectacular from the boat.
WanderLost225
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rap11)
Glasgow is terrible.
Edinburgh is terrible.
The highlands are ok if your drunk.
Scotland just sucks.
Get out, nobody cares about your awful opinion.
NursingStudent93
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zain-A)

I thought I quoted you but my post seems to have vanished :doh: I will certainly check out Stirling! How much time should I spend there, will part of a day be enough?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (68)
15.18%
1 (61)
13.62%
2 (58)
12.95%
3 (91)
20.31%
4 (91)
20.31%
5 (79)
17.63%