The Student Room Group

Pokemon 20th Anniversary Tournament

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aria Enoshima
It isn't illegal or anything to have smogon up whilst playing so you can search what they can do there. Also, by typing in /dt "insert pokemon/move/ability name here" into the chat box, you can look up whatever it is (e.g, if I wanted to look up volt switch{a semi common move on electric types}, i would type in /dt volt switch). Its helpful even for the experienced players to check out the base power of a move or if Mamoswine really has 80 base speed.

Thanks.

Are you interested in some practice matches at some point?
Original post by ByronicHero
Thanks.

Are you interested in some practice matches at some point?

eh, may as well since i've got little to do atm besides watch some veg being steamed.

What's your PS! username?
eh, may as well since i've got little to do atm besides watch some veg being steamed.

Byronichero25

I'll log in now.

Byronichero25

I'll log in now.

What was the outcome? :h:
Original post by Joel 96
What was the outcome? :h:

2 - 1 to me currently but looking bad in the 4th. Edit: I lost the 4th very badly :lol:

I think they are going easy on me though :yes:
(edited 8 years ago)
2 - 1 to me currently but looking bad in the 4th. Edit: I lost the 4th very badly :lol:

I think they are going easy on me though :yes:

Eh, i was just screwing around with random teams i made 6 months ago. You aren't too bad especially with that damm skarmory and talonflame.

But lemme just emphasize the idea of prediction to some people. Most of the plays is just you thinking of what the opposition will do and countering it. Naturally, if you overthink or mispredict you could be in a worse position then when you were before. A example of this would be when there is a weak to ground pokemon and a flying type on one team and a ground using pokemon on the opposition. The natural way of progressing would be for the ground type to use their type to ko the weak to ground pokemon. The wtg (abbriviation) knows that this is the primary idea in the opposition so they will switch to the flying type which is not effected by ground. The ground type knows that this is what they want to do so they may go for a move that is super effective on the flying type or a status move which will cripple it. Such is a example of prediction.
I just thought of this but @Stiff Little Fingers , would we have to post a replay link of the match in order to verify who won. Whilst I don't want to accuse anybody of anything, if two players say that they both won, there would be no proof in this case. If we could use a tournament manager or organise a tournament in a room in PS!, this would be a non-issue but because of whats already been decided, it would be impossible.

Perhaps we can pm them to you to verify and after the tourney is over, you can post them in this thread (to prevent people from scouting out the opposition). Seeing how some matches went would be interesting in itself.
Eh, i was just screwing around with random teams i made 6 months ago. You aren't too bad especially with that damm skarmory and talonflame.

But lemme just emphasize the idea of prediction to some people. Most of the plays is just you thinking of what the opposition will do and countering it. Naturally, if you overthink or mispredict you could be in a worse position then when you were before. A example of this would be when there is a weak to ground pokemon and a flying type on one team and a ground using pokemon on the opposition. The natural way of progressing would be for the ground type to use their type to ko the weak to ground pokemon. The wtg (abbriviation) knows that this is the primary idea in the opposition so they will switch to the flying type which is not effected by ground. The ground type knows that this is what they want to do so they may go for a move that is super effective on the flying type or a status move which will cripple it. Such is a example of prediction.

I was trying to do this but I don't know what many of the pokemon are called let alone their type(s) and what they are weak to. Hopefully by the time Gofre destroys me I will know enough to put up a fight. :h:
I just thought of this but @Stiff Little Fingers , would we have to post a replay link of the match in order to verify who won. Whilst I don't want to accuse anybody of anything, if two players say that they both won, there would be no proof in this case. If we could use a tournament manager or organise a tournament in a room in PS!, this would be a non-issue but because of whats already been decided, it would be impossible.

Perhaps we can pm them to you to verify and after the tourney is over, you can post them in this thread (to prevent people from scouting out the opposition). Seeing how some matches went would be interesting in itself.

Yeah.
Obviously, I wouldn't expect anyone of us to cheat, but legitimacy is key and I think this is a good idea.
I don't know what many of the pokemon are called let alone their type(s) and what they are weak to

sing this about twenty times and you've got it:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96
sing this about twenty times and you've got it:

Spoiler

Hmm, well, erm....
I need to get training. Usually when I play pokemon I NEVER focused on evs and ivs which I need to start doing also the nature. Also my team is usually just pokemon I like instead of how good they are. So im gonna lose round 1.
x

Looks like I've been pitted against you, what time will you be available? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, PM them to me and I'll check peoples games are legit (i.e. not breaking any of the clauses), and put them up once the tournament is done.
Original post by Pres2040
x

Original post by Joel 96
x

Let me know when you guys want to play :tongue:
Original post by justinawe
Let me know when you guys want to play :tongue:

Could play now.
My username is copenwithhagen.
Original post by Kholmes1
I need to get training. Usually when I play pokemon I NEVER focused on evs and ivs which I need to start doing also the nature. Also my team is usually just pokemon I like instead of how good they are. So im gonna lose round 1.

You can use pokemon you like but just try to think about who can cover who and which pokemon work well together. Also for things like EVs and nature depends on what you want you pokemon to do. If you want a deadly physical attacking Haxorus you'd want EVs put into attack (252 is max for each stat) and since you'll be only using physical moves you wouldn't need any Special attack so an Adamant nature is best since it increases attack and decreases special attack which you dint want anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kholmes1
x

Hi, are you free this afternoon?
Original post by eternaforest
Looks like I've been pitted against you, what time will you be available? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't mind any early evening times this week (besides Friday since I come home about 6)
Original post by eternaforest
You can use pokemon you like but just try to think about who can cover who and which pokemon work well together. Also for things like EVs and nature depends on what you want you pokemon to do. If you want a deadly physical attacking Haxorus you'd want EVs put into attack (252 is max for each stat) and since you'll be only using physical moves you wouldn't need any Special attack so an Adamant nature is best since it increases attack and decreases special attack which you dint want anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I kinda know how it works just never focused on it on the games. Like I knew that if I was using a pokemon with no special attacks I wouldn't put any EVS in it. And the nature would depend on what you wanted to increase. But im still going to mess it up so thanks anyway. Guessing your using Haxorus?

Quick Reply

Latest