forre
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, so soon we are going to pick our options for our gcse, is triple science worth it? Is it an important subject? I'm alright at science with a 6b, even though I'm in set 1 my level (6b) is quite low 😭😭😭 write what you think about it, hard? Easy?
...imrah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Triple science is definitely worth it i think. It will really help you if you choose to pick a science at a-level as well as just generally expanding your science knowledge. I think it's really interesting
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by forre)
Okay, so soon we are going to pick our options for our gcse, is triple science worth it? Is it an important subject? I'm alright at science with a 6b, even though I'm in set 1 my level (6b) is quite low 😭😭😭 write what you think about it, hard? Easy?
Hi, I'm in Year 10 and I currently study for triple Science with AQA. Science overall is an important subject and is in fact a core subject. I'm quite surprised that you got the option to pick it because at my school, they decide whether I have the ability to do Triple Science or not.

Triple Science - x3 GCSEs for the three Sciences and 9 exams
You study an additional unit for the three Sciences which are relatively short.

Double Science/Core & Additional Science - x2 GCSEs for the three Sciences and 6 exams.
You will only study two units for the three Sciences e.g C1 and C2 ...

6B at your level isn't too bad and you shouldn't be worried although to get those A/A* or the new GCSE grade equivalent of 7-9 (IIRC) if you revise and ask your teacher on topics you don't understand. I wouldn't say it's particularly easy as there's some topics in some units which are confusing and aren't straightforward.

Also for the current Y9s and downwards (Y8s, Y7s etc ...) will all be doing the new GCSE spec for the Sciences and from my understanding you wouldn't have any controlled assessment which will be the ISAs and instead be tested through exams.
forre
Rep:
?
(Original post by JTran38)
Hi, I'm in Year 10 and I currently study for triple Science with AQA. Science overall is an important subject and is in fact a core subject. I'm quite surprised that you got the option to pick it because at my school, they decide whether I have the ability to do Triple Science or not.

Triple Science - x3 GCSEs for the three Sciences and 9 exams
You study an additional unit for the three Sciences which are relatively short.

Double Science/Core & Additional Science - x2 GCSEs for the three Sciences and 6 exams.
You will only study two units for the three Sciences e.g C1 and C2 ...

6B at your level isn't too bad and you shouldn't be worried although to get those A/A* or the new GCSE grade equivalent of 7-9 (IIRC) if you revise and ask your teacher on topics you don't understand. I wouldn't say it's particularly easy as there's some topics in some units which are confusing and aren't straightforward.

Also for the current Y9s and downwards (Y8s, Y7s etc ...) will all be doing the new GCSE spec for the Sciences and from my understanding you wouldn't have any controlled assessment which will be the ISAs and instead be tested through exams.
My school does aqa aswell, what do you think about it
sahraahmmed100%
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it is haard but soooooo worth it. dont not do a subject becaus eu think its hard. everything gets more compliacted as u get to GCSE. but in tripe the first part is quite easy. (P1,C1,B1)

then the next unit P2, C2, C3 is overall mostly maths based. how are u doing in maths???

then C3,B3,P3 is not bad as long as u REVISE everything so u don't forget.

it really does show who puts work in and who don't
6B isn't bad assuming the year isnt finished and u will have another test at the end of the year.

try to get a level 7.

as i remember when i was in year 9 i achieved 7A which helps in year 10 as my understanding was wide.

but there are ppl in my class who was n level 6 now A grades.

so it really does depend

i hope this helped
sahra
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by forre)
My school does aqa aswell, what do you think about it
AQA are the better exam board for Science as from what I know OCR are a lot more vigorous and ambitious actually with their questions.
forre
Rep:
?
(Original post by sahraahmmed100%)
it is haard but soooooo worth it. dont not do a subject becaus eu think its hard. everything gets more compliacted as u get to GCSE. but in tripe the first part is quite easy. (P1,C1,B1)

then the next unit P2, C2, C3 is overall mostly maths based. how are u doing in maths???

then C3,B3,P3 is not bad as long as u REVISE everything so u don't forget.

it really does show who puts work in and who don't
6B isn't bad assuming the year isnt finished and u will have another test at the end of the year.

try to get a level 7.

as i remember when i was in year 9 i achieved 7A which helps in year 10 as my understanding was wide.

but there are ppl in my class who was n level 6 now A grades.

so it really does depend

i hope this helped
sahra
I'll definetly try to get a level 7 and in maths i'm doing really good i got a 7a and a B when we did a gcse paper
emx11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Triple Science is a lot of work, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. Some concepts can be difficult but as with any subject, the course is designed to challenge you - it's all about keeping on top of the work load.
Ultimately, it's down to what you think you'll enjoy and whether you have any ideas about what you want to study in the future!
It can be beneficial if you continue your study of science at A-Level - I'm in year 12 and it's definitely given me more background knowledge compared to those who didn't take triple.
The only downfall is that there are 9 exams - it's a lot of content to remember but as said above, the further 3 units are relatively short.
You'd have no issues with it I'm sure as you've been in set 1 and that's a good level! I'm sure I finished year 9 with a similar level myself
Science is an important subject and triple science will keep your options open for further education! I found the course interesting and it did help in preparing me for the pace of A-Level!
Woody_Pigeon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I regretted not taking Triple Science. My teachers said I wouldn't really need to do it unless I decided to do something medical based, but, now I regret it. 3 GCSEs.
forre
Rep:
?
(Original post by emx11)
Triple Science is a lot of work, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. Some concepts can be difficult but as with any subject, the course is designed to challenge you - it's all about keeping on top of the work load.
Ultimately, it's down to what you think you'll enjoy and whether you have any ideas about what you want to study in the future!
It can be beneficial if you continue your study of science at A-Level - I'm in year 12 and it's definitely given me more background knowledge compared to those who didn't take triple.
The only downfall is that there are 9 exams - it's a lot of content to remember but as said above, the further 3 units are relatively short.
You'd have no issues with it I'm sure as you've been in set 1 and that's a good level! I'm sure I finished year 9 with a similar level myself
Science is an important subject and triple science will keep your options open for further education! I found the course interesting and it did help in preparing me for the pace of A-Level!
Wow this totaly helped thank you , when you do the 9 exams do you do them after the unit or later?
emx11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by forre)
Wow this totaly helped thank you , when you do the 9 exams do you do them after the unit or later?
I did them after each unit as modules, this obviously helped a lot as the exams were spread out over 2 years - the work load seemed far less that way.
I'm sure it does depend on the exam board, though. I was with WJEC. There was also more of a chance for resits this way. However, the majority of people I know who were with other exam boards did all 9 exams at the end of year 11.
Do you know which exam board you'd be with? I think the format of the exams (linear or modular) changes from school to school, it's definitely worth checking.
Also I've checked with my school and they require a level 6 or above at the end of KS3 to study triple science, so I'm sure you'd be fine with the course
Zwitterion1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by forre)
Do it, it's not hard if your willing to put a bit of work in
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Career wise in uni, endless courses require science so yes, it is good unless you don't want a career in science
forre
Rep:
?
(Original post by emx11)
I did them after each unit as modules, this obviously helped a lot as the exams were spread out over 2 years - the work load seemed far less that way.
I'm sure it does depend on the exam board, though. I was with WJEC. There was also more of a chance for resits this way. However, the majority of people I know who were with other exam boards did all 9 exams at the end of year 11.
Do you know which exam board you'd be with? I think the format of the exams (linear or modular) changes from school to school, it's definitely worth checking.
Also I've checked with my school and they require a level 6 or above at the end of KS3 to study triple science, so I'm sure you'd be fine with the course
I believe we are foing aqa how foes aqa work?
emx11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by forre)
I believe we are foing aqa how foes aqa work?
AQA exams are at the end of year 11. However they appear to be nicely spread out over the exam period so it shouldn't be too horrible. Triple science is essentially 3 more exams for an extra GCSE which is definitely worth it, plus you may get more lessons than core (I had 14 for triple as opposed to 9 for core). If you put the work in and you're fairly competent in science you'll do great
glowanti
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do triple science and it is a LOT of work, we have 54 science topics to revise and cover (compared to the 8 RE topics and 6 geography topics etc) so it is one hell of a lot of content if you can keep up. However, the content itself isn't too difficult. So if you're good at remembering - go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (29)
35.8%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
4.94%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (23)
28.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (10)
12.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (6)
7.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed