Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got an interview for applied clinical psychology at Exeter in two days, so I've just double checked the email they sent me about the interview and noticed that it said Msci. I didn't even realise they ran an Msci psychology course! It's not in the prospectus at all and the university website is really strange, there is a page for the Msci and one for the BSc course, but they're not there at the same time? Like if you search for the Msci course in Google it comes up with the page on it, but then when it lists all of the psychology courses the BSc one isn't on the list, you have to leave the site and search for the BSc course to find the page, and then the MSci disappears from the list? I know this isn't making much sense, but if you search for each course on Google you'll see what I mean. I'm going to ring the University in the morning, but I've got an issue because I've paid hundreds for a train tickets on Thursday and I doubt they're going to let me have an interview for this course on that day now! If anyone has done anything similar please let me know how it turned out for you!

ReputationRep:
    why the distress? Be honoured you got selected for Msci. It requires much more than a Bsc grades wise

ReputationRep:
    Hey, slightly unrelated question here but when did you get your Interview email? Was is soon after your application?
    Good luck by the way!! x

ReputationRep:
    Hey! The same happened to me with Lancaster university. I've applied for Bsc but received a MSci offer, got freaked out but later found out that I could still do the BSc programme if I wanted. I'm not from the UK and didn't know that MSci programme exists at all, I'm still waiting for my offer from Exeter and I would have loved to apply for the MSci course instead of BSc!! So my question is: does anybody know would I be able to switch from a Bsc course to Msci? Should I contact the university now before I possibly get an offer and inform them that I'd like to do Msci course or do you think I'd be able to switch in my first year of uni?
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    The MSc course is just a sandwiched masters in one year after the Bsc , isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's an integrated undergraduate masters degree, lasts 4 years

ReputationRep:
    I asked the same question at an open day, they said their would be a small chance you could swap from Bsc to Msci in second year, if you do well in first year. It also depends how many work experience places they can provide because you have to do a placement to get the Msci qualification
    Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliee-Lou)
    Hey, slightly unrelated question here but when did you get your Interview email? Was is soon after your application?
    Good luck by the way!! x
    Which one? I received the offer of an interview quite soon after I applied, but I'm on a gap year so I've already got my A Level grades, so that might have sped the decision up a bit. I didn't get the email with the interview day itinerary and things until last Monday. Have you applied? And thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Do you all think it's worth doing an Msci then? All I've really heard about them is that they're technically equivalent to a masters, but aren't really regarded as well as doing a BSc and MSc separately, so it's not something I've really considered doing. But I also know some unis let you stop after you've finished you BSc course if you want to, because they're basically the same until the MSci starts the Masters modules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lornasmylie)
    Do you all think it's worth doing an Msci then? All I've really heard about them is that they're technically equivalent to a masters, but aren't really regarded as well as doing a BSc and MSc separately, so it's not something I've really considered doing. But I also know some unis let you stop after you've finished you BSc course if you want to, because they're basically the same until the MSci starts the Masters modules
    The two courses appear to be identical for the first three years. The MSci involves an extra year qualifying you to work as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (whatever that is). Do you want to work in that field?

The two courses have different Ucas codes. Which one did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lornasmylie)
    An Msci is definately not a replacement for a masters. And you will go on to do a masters after that. The Msci is usually a project based year which gives you experience that a Bsc could never do. Having and Msci on your CV looks much better and is likely to get you better job offers. Now it is up to you whether you want to do an extra year of Uni to do an Msci or go straight to Masters. Im not sure exactly how big of an effect an Msci has on your job application but if i were an employer an Msci shows a continuously highly achieving student. Most Universities will allow you to switch down to a Bsc i the first year and some in the Second as well. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gretukas97)
    Hey! The same happened to me with Lancaster university. I've applied for Bsc but received a MSci offer, got freaked out but later found out that I could still do the BSc programme if I wanted. I'm not from the UK and didn't know that MSci programme exists at all, I'm still waiting for my offer from Exeter and I would have loved to apply for the MSci course instead of BSc!! So my question is: does anybody know would I be able to switch from a Bsc course to Msci? Should I contact the university now before I possibly get an offer and inform them that I'd like to do Msci course or do you think I'd be able to switch in my first year of uni?
    Thanks a lot!
    You can switch between both courses if the numbers are suitable, they said so on the open day

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.