Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

really struggling to get motivated to study for a level exams - anyone else?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    some days I have the most motivation in the world, but by the next day it's gone and i find myself literally time wasting just so I don't have to do work...

anyone else have this problem and any suggestions please!!

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem, but my productivity dramatically rises when I am reminded of good memories. For example, I have wonderful memories of revising efficiently in the library in Year 11, so I go to the library often in Year 12.

ReputationRep:
    ah see that's difficult - can't even find the motivation to travel to the library

ReputationRep:
    I am just the same!! When i am motivated i do lots of productive things.
    For me when i am feeling so demotivated I often just leave everything until the weekends when i am motivated.

But this way i waste a lot of time after school. Id recommend going to the library although i havent done this for aaaages. Ive had to force myself to do work by thinking that ill let everyone i know down.

Plus good music makes everything better however sometimes i do end up just shuffling songs for a good half hour which i guess is procrastination seeping in right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeannemarie)
    ah see that's difficult - can't even find the motivation to travel to the library
    Your school library or anywhere free in your school during school time?

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if there are actually any people that enjoy revising. Myself I'm suffering most of the time so I try to keep the revision time to a bare minimum. I don't know how I'm gonna get through university and if it's actually a viable option for a person like me... There are plenty others that grit their teeth and despite hating what they do they go on to do some university course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    Your school library or anywhere free in your school during school time?
    there are too many people at college who will distract me - wherever you go it's noisy just can't get myself to sit down and do it!! I so annoyed with myself

ReputationRep:
    same with my leaving cert. except i have motivation, i just don't have the energy and i have a really hard time focusing idk why so when i do "study", it's basically just me staring at a page until i feel sleepy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Fluffy Bunny)
    I'm wondering if there are actually any people that enjoy revising. Myself I'm suffering most of the time so I try to keep the revision time to a bare minimum. I don't know how I'm gonna get through university and if it's actually a viable option for a person like me... There are plenty others that grit their teeth and despite hating what they do they go on to do some university course.
    yeah that sounds like me right now... I mean this usually happens to me and then I get truck loads of motivation out of nowhere but I'm just worried as it has normally kicked in by this time of year...

though, i've heard uni is so much different to college - a lot less pressure to just memorise and get marks unlike a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bisolarsystem)
    same with my leaving cert. except i have motivation, i just don't have the energy and i have a really hard time focusing idk why so when i do "study", it's basically just me staring at a page until i feel sleepy
    staring at the page til you feel sleepy - exactly the same.. feel so useless

ReputationRep:
    some days I have the most motivation in the world, but by the next day it's gone and i find myself literally time wasting just so I don't have to do work...

anyone else have this problem and any suggestions please!!
    Yes! I am so terrified about the summer and am probably going to fail as I haven't done any work (outside of required H/W essays) all year. Literally - none at all. I feel so guilty about it and yet here I am, sat on my couch on TSR. It's a serious issue.

I've been trying to write a plan out the night before and stick to it the next day, but circumstances mean I couldn't do it today. Maybe that'd work for you?

ReputationRep:
    Just picture the end result (the results that you'd preferably want to get) and think about the disappointment you'd have to face if you don't get it.

Usually works for me

ReputationRep:
    Join the club. I'm pretty much the same Tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Yes! I am so terrified about the summer and am probably going to fail as I haven't done any work (outside of required H/W essays) all year. Literally - none at all. I feel so guilty about it and yet here I am, sat on my couch on TSR. It's a serious issue.

I've been trying to write a plan out the night before and stick to it the next day, but circumstances mean I couldn't do it today. Maybe that'd work for you?
    Yeah I made a plan yesterday and it hasn't worked.. I really don't know what's going on with me honestly. Do study groups work for anyone?? Or are they just a distraction and turn into a 4 hour chat?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I made a plan yesterday and it hasn't worked.. I really don't know what's going on with me honestly. Do study groups work for anyone?? Or are they just a distraction and turn into a 4 hour chat?
    I've never tried a study group. Something about the thought of trying to focus on work with other people sat around you would annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    I've never tried a study group. Something about the thought of trying to focus on work with other people sat around you would annoy me.
    yeah that thought just came to me as well lol can barely deal with other people in the library let alone people on my table .... ugh gonna fail so badly

ReputationRep:
    I work under the assumption that anything under 4A's is a disappointment

Self-bribery with chocolate

The "work hard, play hard" motto is good, spend some frees/evenings working, so that I can enjoy time in frees/weekend with friends and family, it balances each other out in a way

Try and persuade yourself that what you're doing is vaguely interesting (I'm looking at you, statistics!!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.