People seem to care more when you're dead

Why is that?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

Only when they've lost you will they start looking for you. :frown:
You may be confused with what "mourning" and "loving" means.

And death is tragic
Original post by DiceTheSlice
You may be confused with what "mourning" and "loving" means.

And death is tragic

What I am wondering is why people idolise the dead. There are more people talking about how much they love David Bowie (for example) now that he's dead.
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Why is that?

Spoiler

I'll be quite honest, it's because you don't realise what you've got till it's gone.
Original post by FawkesPhoenix
I'll be quite honest, it's because you don't realise what you've got till it's gone.

Still doesn't make sense. People like David Bowie and Alan Rickman weren't doing much recently, why are people kicking up a fuss about them now? Like how great they were and etc etc

Spoiler

Still doesn't make sense. People like David Bowie and Alan Rickman weren't doing much recently, why are people kicking up a fuss about them now? Like how great they were and etc etc

Spoiler

David Bowie released a new album 3 days before he died

Well for instance, I was only introduced to and realised the greatness of some of David Bowie's works due to the massive publicity around his death.
Alan Rickman not so much, purely because I've already been his work.
I think it's partially media hype, but also an ersatz form of respect that has been brought on by the social media whirl.
This thread is heart breaking :cry2:

Spoiler

Tbh honestly people who love them are paying tributes to them now that they're dead, it's just what people do when someone dies. However a lot of the people on social media etc are insincere and are just following the crowd.... it's just what happens in the Internet age
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
David Bowie released a new album 3 days before he died

I didn't know that, whoops! But still, it's not going to be anyway near as iconic as his earlier stuff. That's what he'l be known for.
Reply 11
It's not just the celebs unfortunately...
but yeah I don't know why that is :/ no one showed their support when the person was alive...
Reply 12
I didn't know that, whoops! But still, it's not going to be anyway near as iconic as his earlier stuff. That's what he'l be known for.

Acc he's known for this rn

[video="youtube;y-JqH1M4Ya8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8[/video]

look at the viewsssss :O

Spoiler

David Bowie released two studio albums, a compilation album, an EP, collaborated with Arcade Fire and wrote music for the Lazarus play in the last three years but you're right he was doing nothing.
Reply 14
Let's say you have a best friend and you don't talk as much but you're happy knowing they're alive and well, you know can have a nice catchup with them; you may not talk for a while but you know they're still around.

Once that person is dead you'll never see them again and you'll never talk to them again - their death is a reality.
Original post by FawkesPhoenix
Well for instance, I was only introduced to and realised the greatness of some of David Bowie's works due to the massive publicity around his death.
Alan Rickman not so much, purely because I've already been his work.
I think it's partially media hype, but also an ersatz form of respect that has been brought on by the social media whirl.

I understand but the thing is even if you were introduced to David Bowie's work because of his death and the publicity surrounding it it's not like his being dead or alive changes his music if you get what I mean.

Original post by driftawaay
Tbh honestly people who love them are paying tributes to them now that they're dead, it's just what people do when someone dies. However a lot of the people on social media etc are insincere and are just following the crowd.... it's just what happens in the Internet age

I don't understand that though. Everyone is going to die. Bowie's music was great but how does his death really affect the average Bowie fan? It's not like his living and breathing was influencing their life.
Original post by z33
It's not just the celebs unfortunately...
but yeah I don't know why that is :/ no one showed their support when the person was alive...

I know right. I don't understand the death hype.
Original post by Wilfred Little
David Bowie released two studio albums, a compilation album, an EP, collaborated with Arcade Fire and wrote music for the Lazarus play in the last three years but you're right he was doing nothing.

Oh great! Fabulous. But he wasn't getting as much hype for those things when he was alive compared to now that he's dead.
Original post by K.C
Let's say you have a best friend and you don't talk as much but you're happy knowing they're alive and well, you know can have a nice catchup with them; you may not talk for a while but you know they're still around.

Once that person is dead you'll never see them again and you'll never talk to them again - their death is a reality.

I understand if it's a friend or someone close but a celeb, seriously? I will never understand that.
Reply 19
I understand if it's a friend or someone close but a celeb, seriously? I will never understand that.

Most people don't like death and the fact it takes people away, part of the reason why celebrities are mourned but at the same time David Bowie died from cancer which a lot of people can relate to -- their loved ones also dying.

Quick Reply

Latest