Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know much on popular pressure before it was passed (1829-31)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    Does anyone know much on popular pressure before it was passed (1829-31)?
    There was a great deal of internal pressure in the run-up to the Act being passed in 1832. The success of the Catholic Association pressure group in gaining Catholic Emancipation in 1829 proved that well-directed and well-organised pressure could force change on Parliament. This encouraged others, and in 1829 Attwood launched the Birmingham Political Union to campaign for political reform, directly modelled on the Catholic Association.

Poor harvests and depression in 1829 made reform attractive to anyone hoping for the creation of more jobs and higher wages. In 1930, agricultural riots in the south were taken as an ominous sign of revolution. The Birmingham Political Union and other middle-class pressure groups used this fear to try and bring about change. Other external stimulus came from the inspiration of the 1830 July Revolution in France.

Not sure if that'll help, but all I can think of...

ReputationRep:
    cheers.. I so hope 1832 comes up! There isnt many more they could ask really the others are too small.

ReputationRep:
    cheers.. I so hope 1832 comes up! There isnt many more they could ask really the others are too small.
    I hope it comes up too, it'd be a good one! Although I don't trust exam boards, and as 1832 is the one thing I've always been okay on I'm convinced they're going to throw us something really unexpected Good luck tomorrow anyway!

ReputationRep:
    argh dont say that you'll jinx us! Its going to be a nice was 1832 a turning point one!
    What do you think the second one will be?
    Good luck too! History is always nice thought so im sure we will be fine, what do you need for an A?

ReputationRep:
    argh dont say that you'll jinx us! Its going to be a nice was 1832 a turning point one!
    What do you think the second one will be?
    Good luck too! History is always nice thought so im sure we will be fine, what do you need for an A?
    I have no idea about the second one... you got any inklings? I'm not sure what to revise for it really. I need about 195 UMS from these 3 upcoming units for an A... so about 65 UMS per paper. I haven't revised enough though and I'm getting so worried! What do you need? Fingers crossed we get lucky with the questions!

ReputationRep:
    In the first question they could ask if the introduction of the secret ballot was a turning point? - Although that would have quite a narrow focus and you would primarily be concentrating on Secret Ballot Act 1872, and Corrupt Practices Act 1883. Then examining relative impact in contect of what came b4 and what happened after.

The second question is usually an overview of the whole period 1832-1928 so it has quite a broad focus. The alteration in Unit 5 means that you should concentrate 40% sources 60% own knowledge.

The exam shouldn't be too horrible atm I am just learning quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyrotec)
    In the first question they could ask if the introduction of the secret ballot was a turning point? - Although that would have quite a narrow focus and you would primarily be concentrating on Secret Ballot Act 1872, and Corrupt Practices Act 1883. Then examining relative impact in contect of what came b4 and what happened after.

The second question is usually an overview of the whole period 1832-1928 so it has quite a broad focus. The alteration in Unit 5 means that you should concentrate 40% sources 60% own knowledge.

The exam shouldn't be too horrible atm I am just learning quotes.
    Wow, thanks so much Kyrotec, good advice and much appreciated What sort of quotes are you learning...?
    Hope tomorrow goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I have no idea about the second one... you got any inklings? I'm not sure what to revise for it really. I need about 195 UMS from these 3 upcoming units for an A... so about 65 UMS per paper. I haven't revised enough though and I'm getting so worried! What do you need? Fingers crossed we get lucky with the questions!
    I need 110 points on 2 papers, ive already done one on Peel. Do think the question 2 could be on how ecomics influenced change? I really hope it isnt! Im hoping its the effect on the parties!

ReputationRep:
    I need 110 points on 2 papers, ive already done one on Peel. Do think the question 2 could be on how ecomics influenced change? I really hope it isnt! Im hoping its the effect on the parties!
    :eek: I hope it isn't either... I have nothing about that in my notes I don't think. Do you have any info on economic influence just in case? Effect on parties would be good, I really don't know what else it could be to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    :eek: I hope it isn't either... I have nothing about that in my notes I don't think. Do you have any info on economic influence just in case? Effect on parties would be good, I really don't know what else it could be to be honest!
    I'd cry if that came up! I have nothing on it! im learning about what slowed reform now but its really boring, i hope this doesnt come up too lol! Got any ideas what you would write for it?

ReputationRep:
    Heheh thx slowjamz - I think I need a bottom D or low E so should hopefully be able to obtain it . Ok couple of quotes for you :
    1> Lynch "organic view of constitution an society" - relevant to pre 1832 arguments for reform.
    2>Lynch "detail less important that principle" - referring to sig. of 1832
    3>S+M "Starting point on the road to democracy" - similarly sig.
    4>Duanbin "pile up and waste" - redist. 1867
    5> Wright "corrupt, brutal and igorant" - referring to w/c i.e from Lowe
    6> Palm. "bring the scum to the top" - oppos democ.
    7> Dis "extinguish G + co" "destory present agitation"
    8> "Important part of democratisation" P+S corrupt...
    9> "Cat and Mouse Act" c.f Suffragettes
    Soz i would type more but CBA write now - bit tired etc.
    In this exam I can't stress enough an Overview is more most important - so argument should be well balanced. Although technical detail is required it doesn't need to be as extensive as in other modules. Most technical info. is on part A 1 1/2 -2 pages approx 20 mins

ReputationRep:
    ok i need more quotes! I know a few by peel and wellington etc, then some by politcal writers but not loads..... Damn!
    Out of 60 how many do you think you will need for a B?

ReputationRep:
    Got any ideas what you would write for it?
    Ok well for 1832 :
    Pressure for change would be something like this :

Cons view - system worked so why change it
    By having reform you would be 'opening the floodgate' c.f France 1789
    Fear that change in the system could cause disruption
    "organic view of society" - society should develop naturally argument
    Commons - threat at "mercy of public opion"
    Also you could look at how Inglis descirbes the system as not symmetrical - diverse suggesting it was fair

ReputationRep:
    lol cool you can get away with knowing like 6 quotes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyrotec)
    lol cool you can get away with knowing like 6 quotes
    Wahooo! Im normally ok with history but i havent tried so hard this time because i only need like a C and a D if that, but i still want A's lol... odd i know!

Does anyone esle hate 1928, its a ho and there isnt much to write on it!

ReputationRep:
    Mm I know what you mean - still if you f***k up it's not the end of the world. I'm just helpin my friends out who want to keep their As

ReputationRep:
    Thank you SO much Kyrotec! Ahh, that's such a big help I really appreciate it - rep coming your way. Thanks loads!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.