Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why not all former USSR countries speak Russian? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know many former USSR countries speak Russian as a 2 language or official for example Latvia.But how come Poland for example does not speak Russian?The older generation were taught in schools but it never took on after the fall of Communism in 1988 or 1989.

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Poland according to here 26% speak Russian unless ive read it wrong

Why don't* all people living in the UK proofread titles before posting a thread?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Poland wasn't in the USSR. Most ex-USSR counties don't speak Russian because their populations aren't Russian; even the USSR couldn't force millions of people to forget their native language. Russian certainly became an important second language throughout the Eastern Bloc, it was taught at schools and it was necessary to learn if you wanted to attend university but that was not enough to supplant local languages. Large numbers of ethnic Russians were relocated to the Baltics, Ukraine, Moldova and Central Asia which is why these countries still have considerable Russian-speaking minorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Poland wasn't in the USSR. Most ex-USSR counties don't speak Russian because their populations aren't Russian; even the USSR couldn't force millions of people to forget their native language. Russian certainly became an important second language throughout the Eastern Bloc, it was taught at schools and it was necessary to learn if you wanted to attend university but that was not enough to supplant local languages. Large numbers of ethnic Russians were relocated to the Baltics, Ukraine, Moldova and Central Asia which is why these countries still have considerable Russian-speaking minorities.
    It was commuism though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jshep000)
    Cyka blyat kurwa idi nahuj
    I am not Russian and cannot speak but I am not stupid enough not to go on google translate and translate these rude words.You should swallow your own words what disgusting vocabulary you are using.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I am not Russian and cannot speak but I am not stupid enough not to go on google translate and translate these rude words.You should swallow your own words what disgusting vocabulary you are using.
    Neither am I and that was various languages not just Russian.

ReputationRep:
    Stalin loved his Georgian language ...

It was commuism though.
    So is China (officially, at least). Communism is a political and economic ideology, not a language.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're old enough to be on the internet?

So you're not stupid enough not to actively seek out offence and then throw a tantrum. Congratulations; you'll be inducted into the Hall of Prudes in 10 working days.

ReputationRep:
    It was commuism though.
    Communism =/= Soviet =/= Russian

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.