The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you sure that St. Andrews was ranked 35th last year? It has always been in the top 15 in both Times and Guardian rankings.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
bryan
Are you sure that St. Andrews was ranked 35th last year? It has always been in the top 15 in both Times and Guardian rankings.

Nope, it really was that bad last year.
Reply 3
Knudsen
Nope, it really was that bad last year.

Then something went seriously wrong last year...
Reply 4
I believe the methodology has changed. They no longer include 'inclusiveness'.
Reply 5
yeung3939
I believe the methodology has changed. They no longer include 'inclusiveness'.

and inclusiveness is? :biggrin: I'm happy StA is up on fourth - it's something I can tell my parents, which they will proudly tell others as they brag about the university their daughter is going to attend :p:
Reply 6
I also need strong evidence like this one to convince my parents. I believe St. Andrews is a top 8 university anyway.
rankings are rubbish
Reply 8
My parents don't know rankings are rubbish. HaHa.
Reply 9
seriously, its things like this the PROVE that the rankings are not worth focusing on. St. Andrews is one of the best unis in the UK - FACT, as for its exact position no one can say as nobody does every course at every university in the country, that would be the only fair way to compare unis which as you can imagine is impossible. Use the rankings as a ROUGH GUIDE ONLY, if a uni appears near the top of the lists (like St. Andrews) then its safe to say its probably better then others lower down, but to take them as a definite measure of quality is stupid as the exact placing all boils down to an accumulation of pretty meaningless statistics complied be people who for the most part couldn't care less about giving the best possible representation as long as the tables come out in time to publish
Even though theres a lot to be disputed concerning the reliabillity of the tables, I have to say I'm quite chuffed in that St Andrews is third for the subjects I'm hoping to study (Maths and French), only 'beaten' by Oxbridge! Durham and their rejection can kiss it!
The Guardian tables are a laughable pile of crap. However, St Andrews has, like many scottish institutions, been reaping the benefits of the changes in Shefce funding in the last couple of years.
ChemistBoy
The Guardian tables are a laughable pile of crap. However, St Andrews has, like many scottish institutions, been reaping the benefits of the changes in Shefce funding in the last couple of years.

But surely, by the same token that none of us have the knowledge to verify the accuracy of league tables, we cannot condemn them either because none of us have studied at every single uni.
Reply 13
I think you don't need to study at every single uni to comment on league tables. Even if you do, it is still impossible to 'accurately' rank the universities you have studied in.
yeung3939
I think you don't need to study at every single uni to comment on league tables. Even if you do, it is still impossible to 'accurately' rank the universities you have studied in.

This is my point, we can't really comment on the accuracy of the tables because we have no more information than the guardian do.
Reply 15
Well it does make me feel a bit better that the quality of Modern Languages at St Andrews is ranked consistently high in both the Times and the Guardian - it must mean that it's pretty good :biggrin:
The Guardian actually amalgamated History & History of Art so the little known Courtauld Institute beat Oxford!

and....they should really have seperate rakings for IR now & consider it a subject in its own right
Jesuisfilleunique
But surely, by the same token that none of us have the knowledge to verify the accuracy of league tables, we cannot condemn them either because none of us have studied at every single uni.

Well, I know how they ranked certain subjects here in nottingham. For example the pharmacy department was ranked 7th despite it clearly being the best in the country, it was ranked behind a department that almost had its accreditation revoked only a few years ago. The chemistry rankings are equally *******s. Apart from that I couldn't say, but I doubt it would be any different for the other academic disciplines. I work in the academic environment and mix with academics and researchers from other universities frequently, I think this gives me more scope to comment on the state of play in the disciplines I have experience in than an undergraduate.
Reply 18
Hmm.. and lumping Modern Languages all together isn't really a very good policy - as one uni might be great for a couple of languages and poor for others..
Reply 19
morningwood
The Guardian actually amalgamated History & History of Art so the little known Courtauld Institute beat Oxford!

Courtauld is little known only to those who are ignorant. Courtauld is THE place to study history of art. Oxford or Cambrdige doesn't even come 2nd when it comes to history of art.

Latest

Trending

Trending