Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to apply to law next year, and I am doing Maths, Chemistry and History. I am looking to apply to unis LSE, Oxford, Bristol, Warwick. I am looking to get a*/aa, aaa but I am not sure if I could get in, I got 4A*, 5A at gcse. Is this enough for Law and especially at these unis or is there no point in applying as grades are not high enough? Should I instead apply for a different degree like History, as I will have more chance of getting in to these unis?

I will be doing an EPQ on the subject I will be taking to try and strengthen my application.

What do you think? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bristol and Warwick should be firmly within reach, not sure about Oxford in particular...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Bristol and Warwick should be firmly within reach, not sure about Oxford in particular...
    Okay thanks, I am glad that you are honest about it, is that Bristol and Warwick for Law then? Also what about UCL and LSE? And is it because GCSE grades not high enough then? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potassium123)
    Okay thanks, I am glad that you are honest about it, is that Bristol and Warwick for Law then? Also what about UCL and LSE? And is it because GCSE grades not high enough then? Thanks
    I imagine that competition is fierce at all of them, but I know for a fact that a classmate of mine got an offer from Bristol with 6A*s/4As, and that another got an offer from Warwick with 2 or 3A*s and the rest As and Bs a week after he applied A benefit of being in a massive year group (250 people) is having a wide range of students who I can use as a rough indicator of what is enough to get an offer, but, even so, I should warn that this is anecdotal evidence. I don't know whether those unis publish average grades for their offer holders, but it would be worth a google.

I think that UCL looks at AS results and the LNAT (particularly the essay) a lot more than GCSEs, so, with a killer personal statement and good ASs, you may just be good enough to get in Dunno about LSE tho', all the rankings show it to have crazy-high entry requirements, and I suspect that with the volume of applications they receive they are just looking for excuses to reject people and whittle down the numbers...

As for Oxford, they put a lot of weight on GCSEs, looking especially at the ratio of A*s to non-A* grades and producing a metric out of it, so I'd quite frankly suggesting leaving it and using up the slot for a more reasonable choice like Glasgow, QMUL or something like that. The stress of having to do really well in the LNAT (MCQ average for offer holders was 27.8 in 2014), and then preparing for an interview, may not be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    I imagine that competition is fierce at all of them, but I know for a fact that a classmate of mine got an offer from Bristol with 6A*s/4As, and that another got an offer from Warwick with 2 or 3A*s and the rest As and Bs a week after he applied A benefit of being in a massive year group (250 people) is having a wide range of students who I can use as a rough indicator of what is enough to get an offer, but, even so, I should warn that this is anecdotal evidence. I don't know whether those unis publish average grades for their offer holders, but it would be worth a google.

I think that UCL looks at AS results and the LNAT (particularly the essay) a lot more than GCSEs, so, with a killer personal statement and good ASs, you may just be good enough to get in Dunno about LSE tho', all the rankings show it to have crazy-high entry requirements, and I suspect that with the volume of applications they receive they are just looking for excuses to reject people and whittle down the numbers...

As for Oxford, they put a lot of weight on GCSEs, looking especially at the ratio of A*s to non-A* grades and producing a metric out of it, so I'd quite frankly suggesting leaving it and using up the slot for a more reasonable choice like Glasgow, QMUL or something like that. The stress of having to do really well in the LNAT (MCQ average for offer holders was 27.8 in 2014), and then preparing for an interview, may not be worth it.
    Yeh competition is definitely fierce, but I really like the look at Bristol and Warwick, but I really would like to look at a London uni, especially UCL or LSE, but yes as you say they look for excuses to reject people. Yeh, I heard also applying to Oxford is crazy because I know a few people who applied for Physics, did the PAT, got 8+ A*s and still didn't get in or not even get an interview. The reason why I asked about Oxford because I also saw someone from my college get in too biochemistry with 5a* 4a at GCSE (but they did get 4A* at A-Level!). Would it 'technically' be easier to get into Oxbridge or Lse applying for History?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potassium123)
    Yeh competition is definitely fierce, but I really like the look at Bristol and Warwick, but I really would like to look at a London uni, especially UCL or LSE, but yes as you say they look for excuses to reject people. Yeh, I heard also applying to Oxford is crazy because I know a few people who applied for Physics, did the PAT, got 8+ A*s and still didn't get in or not even get an interview. The reason why I asked about Oxford because I also saw someone from my college get in too biochemistry with 5a* 4a at GCSE (but they did get 4A* at A-Level!). Would it 'technically' be easier to get into Oxbridge or Lse applying for History?
    It should be, yes The applicants per places are lower (4:1 instead of 7 or 8:1), but we should always remember that the people who tend to apply to anything anything at Oxford are pretty good and passionate about their subject, particularly for the more academic courses (where they don't just apply to get a decent job on the other side). Biochem is one of the easier STEM subjects to get in to (I don't think it even has an entrance exam, as opposed to, say, Medicine), but that guy definitely proved his worth at A-level and made them take notice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.