Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people get married its so stupid? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Or look heres a random person i didn't even know existed a few years ago that I am going to spend my life with and act like they are the best person in the world because my emotions tell me to. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why do special snowflakes think they are so good they are better than an institution which has stood thousands of years of history. Marriage works (in good societies) deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Because that's how society works. That's how it has been working for centuries. You don't seem to have matured quite yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Ich Man)
    Why do special snowflakes think they are so intelligent they are better than an institution which has stood thousands of years of history. Marriage works (in good societies) deal with it.
    Marriage is stupid deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    Because they want to?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :huff:

Because it's a bond of love

Spoiler:
    Show
    Only a bad idea if we're talking about arranged marriages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    Marriage is stupid deal with it.
    Firstly your ideal of marriage is based on superficial romanticism, which is a modern phenomena, in the past (and in other countries) many people marry for compatibility reasons and to persistent against the struggles of daily life. as an institution it protects man against loneliness (as man is a social animal). What's stupid about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    Because that's how society works. That's how it has been working for centuries. You don't seem to have matured quite yet.

You dont think its stupid how people get emotionally attached to a random person?

ok. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because they think that's whats expected of them, and they've been planning their crappy 'white wedding' day since they were 6.

Outdated unreliable unsuccessful institution. However, as said before, society does run on it. But that doesn't equate to it being a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    How is it stupid some people want to have a family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    Or look heres a random person i didn't even know existed a few years ago that I am going to spend my life with and act like they are the best person in the world because my emotions tell me to. :rolleyes:
    Who hurt you? :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    You dont think its stupid how people get emotionally attached to a random person?

They don't get attached to a random person. They usually get aroused by them, and then build the bond of friendship after. If you've known someone for three years and you spend a significant amount of time with them. They are not a random person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Ich Man)
    Firstly your ideal of marriage is based on superficial romanticism, which is a modern phenomena, in the past (and in other countries) many people marry for compatibility reasons and to persistent against the struggles of daily life. as an institution it protects man against loneliness (as man is a social animal). What's stupid about that?
    There are other ways to deal with loneliness other than marriage.

Marriage is a waste of time. This is a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    Because they think that's whats expected of them, and they've been planning their crappy 'white wedding' day since they were 6.

Outdated unreliable unsuccessful institution. However, as said before, society does run on it. But that doesn't equate to it being a good thing.
    Comment of the century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)

Nothing wrong with wanting company. Belonging is a fundamental human need.

ReputationRep:
    if you've got like 45+year old parents then you shouldn't be asking this question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    How is it stupid some people want to have a family
    you dont need to be married for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)

No. It's normal. If you are not emotionally attached to anyone in your life then that is a bit weird. Men and women were made to live together and to have children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    There are other ways to deal with loneliness other than marriage.

Marriage is a waste of time. This is a fact.
    One night stands? Tell me how you feel after those. It feels great during (sometimes depends how drunk I am/how good she is), after not so much.

Friends? Not intimate enough

Friends with benefits? There's no commitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Who hurt you? :console:
    Nobody.

No-one can ever hurt me as I don't get emotionally attached to anyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.