Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people get married its so stupid? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    People just give you the most gems because they feel sorry for you due to you being a redhead.

Very good at what? being a ginger dumbass? You right nobody could beat you at that. haha everyone point and laugh at firehead hahaha. :lol::lol:
    I feel sorry for your sister in that case, not because she's ginger, but because she has you as her brother

Don't h8 becoz u ain't one of the 1-2% m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Well if you're "acting" like they're the best person then that's worrying..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    piss off sheldon copper- you and your annoying cocky sarcasm is all thats wrong with the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I feel sorry for your sister in that case, not because she's ginger, but because she has you as her brother

Don't h8 becoz u ain't one of the 1-2% m8
    I am a good brother. Nobody is allowed to insult my sister but me.

who would want to be a fireball anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    I am a good brother. Nobody is allowed to insult my sister but me.

who would want to be a fireball anyway?
    You mean you wouldn't want to be able to do this?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llg7n74XaP1qfiuy9.gif

Okay, well, anyway, I'm bored of entertaining your High Trolligesty; I hope life is better to you in future

(Original post by z33)
    this reminds me
    this morning in biology we were talking about genetic variation and my bio teacher goes
    "arranged marriages are a form of artificial selection"

we died X'D
    :laugh:

(Original post by Banana00)
    Arranged marriages can be okay; it's forced marriage (illegal in the UK) that's a real problem.
    I know someone in an arranged marriage and they don't seem happy.

Although it wasn't forced, it seems to me it might as well have been, given the backlash they would have faced from their family had they refused.

Of course, that's just my experience, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Ich Man)
    Nothing wrong with wanting company. Belonging is a fundamental human need.
    What's that got to do with the price of eggs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    Its random in the sense that they met randomly. And if they didn't meet that person chances are they would have married someone else who they met randomly.

Its ok not everyone is intelligent enough for logic.
    But the choice to marry them isn't random and even meeting a person isn't completely random, you're more likely to meet someone you live or work geographically close to, you're more likely to interact with certain people you find attractive, appear to share similar interests with you, know people you know etc.

Your whole argument against marriage rests on the idea that it's stupid because you just marry a random person but it completely falls apart because the person you marry isn't random.

ReputationRep:
    I love the way this whole thread is like a married couple bickering.

ReputationRep:
    Gives for a closer bond? I think we're forgetting that it's tradition and was the way of committed and loyal people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    From a bad movie but:

We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."
    Married for me just makes this legally binding. Means my family will all have the same surname and provides a stable rock for me and any future children I may or may not have.

Plus my wedding ring is pretty awesome and I can't wait to wear it for the next 60 odd years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    and provides a stable rock for me.
    I dunno whether I'd call 40-50% divorce rate 'stable'.

Pretty unstable, actually, is what I'd call it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    I dunno whether I'd call 40-50% divorce rate 'stable'.

Pretty unstable, actually, is what I'd call it.
    My divorce rate is 0

Also, what does that statistic even matter? Do not-married people stay together then? :/

Divorce rates are dropping all the time. It's down to 42% now and they say cohabiting before hand increases chances of marriages working out. I've co-habited for over a decade so fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    More people more divorce rates. More people more marriage and stability rates. Thing is it will always grow one sided as that's the balance of life. There is that God bunch and then that preferred not to bunch. Yeah more tracings etc would work but, I guess it depends on what there stressing at school/home life. At the end of the day it depends on the individual I.e the balance of life, well that's my theory. Could be wrong but, I just look for the most realistic way. Night all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    My divorce rate is 0

Also, what does that statistic even matter? Do not-married people stay together then? :/

Divorce rates are dropping all the time. It's down to 42% now and they say cohabiting before hand increases chances of marriages working out. I've co-habited for over a decade so fingers crossed
    I wish you all the best, and am sure you'll fall in to the successful 60%.

It was more the general framework I was referring to rather than specific examples. I have trouble applying the word 'stability' to a system that has a 40% failure rate.

IMHO part of the problem is people get married because of love or religion. If it went back to its roots, it might work better, where people get married for financial reasons etc. - perhaps that's why the divorce rate is lowering slowly, perhaps people are more realistic about their reasons for getting married?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    I know someone in an arranged marriage and they don't seem happy.

Although it wasn't forced, it seems to me it might as well have been, given the backlash they would have faced from their family had they refused.

Of course, that's just my experience, I suppose.
    Yes, I see how being in an arranged marriage may actually be a kind of forced marriage. It's sad that some people can't choose who they spend the rest of their life with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    piss off sheldon copper- you and your annoying cocky sarcasm is all thats wrong with the world.
    It was not sarcasm but that made me laugh, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Because it's really fun and nice to live the rest of your life with one person and living in the same house as them and seeing them every day. It's much better to be married than to be free and have no commitment. It's much better to be married rather than have sex with as many people as you want. It's good because when you divorce, your wife gets half your money (that's why it's always good to be broke unemployed and have no money at all). Marriage is fun and good. That's why people get married, for the fun.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.