The Student Room Group

driving test in 2 days (friday) but my driving has become REALLY bad :(

my driving test is this friday, 22nd.
I've had 48hrs. my instructor has been telling me I'm 100% ready for my test since October but I put it off due to nerves.

I booked it end of December, and now that it's days away, exactly what I thought would happen, is happening: my skills as a driver have practically vanished (ok maybe that's an exaggeration lol but I feel like it)
I had a lesson today, which basically went absolutely sh**.
knowing my test is coming up has made me become an awful driver, I feel like I'm back to square one.
I stalled 3 times moving off at traffic lights. my gear changes are jumpy, getting too close to parked cars, instructor had to use duals a few times, observations aren't great. the only thing I can still do well is my manoeuvres.

put it this way, if I could, I'd cancel my test but that isn't option because I don't fancy losing out on £62.

I tried the chewing gum "trick" this lesson but that didn't work for me. felt like it distracted me from driving more than anything lol

so does anyone have any other tips/tricks to help with nerves???
I'm thinking of buying that rescue remedy or kalms stuff, since I know it's all nerves and my mindset that's causing this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Overworking yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by davidb9966
Overworking yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty much. this driving test (and how much I'd like to pass) has been consuming my mind ever since it was around 2 weeks away, now it's really starting to show in my driving.
Reply 3
Original post by louisawc
pretty much. this driving test (and how much I'd like to pass) has been consuming my mind ever since it was around 2 weeks away, now it's really starting to show in my driving.

You will not be able to concentrate if you don't rest. Also, before your exam, it may be a good idea to have a quick look at some resources just to remind you of the most important parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You need to relax while driving. The majority of what's happening is due to you wanting to drive better than what you need to do to pass. I know that before my driving test the amount of times I stalled had increased due to me wanting to improve my clutch control to an unnecessary point where you could barely even hear the car rev. My parallel parking was also worse because I decided I wanted to be glued to the curb, which I was capable of doing when I started. Don't worry, just think less when you're driving, it's now unnecessary. You've learned to drive enough for a lot of it to be a habit, you should trust your instinct more than your brain at times. The amount of mistakes I made before my exam increased, but I passed with 4 minors.
Reply 5
Original post by AKC...
You need to relax while driving. The majority of what's happening is due to you wanting to drive better than what you need to do to pass. I know that before my driving test the amount of times I stalled had increased due to me wanting to improve my clutch control to an unnecessary point where you could barely even hear the car rev. My parallel parking was also worse because I decided I wanted to be glued to the curb, which I was capable of doing when I started. Don't worry, just think less when you're driving, it's now unnecessary. You've learned to drive enough for a lot of it to be a habit, you should trust your instinct more than your brain at times. The amount of mistakes I made before my exam increased, but I passed with 4 minors.

wow this described me perfectly lol. you're spot on - I'm trying to be "better" than I already am but really I'm just making myself worse. thanks a lot for the advice!
Reply 6
I think the problem for most people is putting too much expectation on themselves to pass the first time. You should just be calm and remember that if you didn't pass it was because you weren't good enough and you will get another chance in a few weeks. It's not like sitting A level exams when your immediate future depends on you passing.
Reply 7
So how did it go? :smile:
Original post by louisawc
wow this described me perfectly lol. you're spot on - I'm trying to be "better" than I already am but really I'm just making myself worse. thanks a lot for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending